Contribute
Register

[Guide] High Sierra on HP Spectre x360 8th Gen Coffee Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you change the DSDT settings as recommended by this guide? I believe those are the ones that worked for me.

The backlight was where I ran into some headaches on my end, in part due to some plist confusion on my part.

I installed ACPIDebug.kext to L/E
Applied "Add DSDT Debug Methods" and "Instrument EC Queries" to my DSDT.dsl
Saved it as DSDT.aml and replaced the one I had in the Patched folder with it.
I rebooted and pressed the keys while viewing system.log in Console but saw no entries.

An odd thing I did notice was it doesn't seem like those patches "stick". Meaning, after I apply them I can select them again and I still get differences in the after section of MaciASL.

OK so I had redone all of my DSDT/SSDT patching because I had tried a few patches to get things working and wanted clean versions with only the patches I was actually using. In doing so I did not apply the patch in the OP of this thread. Actually my first time through that section of the OP I hadn't attempted anything with the backlight so I wasn't clear on what that part was for so it didn't stick in my memory. The buttons are now working.

Last edited:
@ShortFormErnie I wanted to say thanks again for being patient with me. Made a few noob mistakes but I have a better handle on the process because of it.

I'm considering getting the Broadcom card and getting bluetooth and wifi working. As of now, I use a dock and get internet connectivity that way but I would like to be more mobile and be able to connect my bluetooth headset.

I see you had some issues but resolved them using this https://github.com/tluck/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/. Have those resurfaced or are you still good?

Also, I have found BCM94352Z cards on Ebay, Amazon, Newegg, etc but some of the descriptions specifically say they are not compatible with HP. Not sure if this is a bait-and-switch and they will be sending me a different model or maybe they aren't compatible with some models of HP but ours is ok or what else could be going on. Where did you pick yours up from?

Hello All,

Let me preface with I have never attempted something like this before but I have read the guides here multiple times before beginning the process.

I have created the Clover USB installer, installed High Sierra on an external SSD (I would prefer this type of setup, however, if it becomes detrimental to the project I will reconsider), installed Clover to the SSD, created SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml, and enabled the_DSM->XDSM patch in my config.plist. At this point, I am able to boot to the desktop from the SSD without issue.

However, when I install the OP suggested kext files to LE, reload the cache, and reboot I get the errors you see in the screenshot.

Is this because I haven't addressed the Patch the DSDT SSDT section yet prior to rebooting? Is there something else that I have missed? Both, maybe?

Thank you in advance!

Your profile is lacking important details (screen resolution).
Please fix as per FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@ShortFormErnie I wanted to say thanks again for being patient with me. Made a few noob mistakes but I have a better handle on the process because of it.

I'm considering getting the Broadcom card and getting bluetooth and wifi working. As of now, I use a dock and get internet connectivity that way but I would like to be more mobile and be able to connect my bluetooth headset.

I see you had some issues but resolved them using this https://github.com/tluck/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/. Have those resurfaced or are you still good?

Also, I have found BCM94352Z cards on Ebay, Amazon, Newegg, etc but some of the descriptions specifically say they are not compatible with HP. Not sure if this is a bait-and-switch and they will be sending me a different model or maybe they aren't compatible with some models of HP but ours is ok or what else could be going on. Where did you pick yours up from?

Hey, sorry on the delay on getting back; busy week. Glad to hear you're moving along.

In regards to the WiFi card, I'd recommend it. As hardware upgrade processes go involving laptop hardware, it's relatively painless, and the only part that was at all difficult about the process was getting the bottom case removed. (Note that you need a specific size Torx screwdriver.) I grabbed mine from NewEgg; despite the lack of HP compatibility claimed in the description, it works, even in Windows. Just make sure you confirm that the size matches the card you have before purchase.

Hi everyone, whoever wants me to update the guide putting new useful information, please if you have all the steps ill update the guide

Last edited:
Hey, everyone learns in this process. :) I didn't get the chance to add these patches until now, but working without issues. Dunno how closely @ctxdl is watching this thread these days but he should really add touchscreen to this guide, especially considering enabling the touch screen is relatively easy on the x360 compared to similar touchscreen-enabled devices.

Sorry i have been inactive this days, ill go throught the thread and add new things that have been helping everyone here, if it is possible someone that has done the steps can write in a detailed form so i can add it to the thread

Happy to report I figured it out. I was using the latest AppleALC (1.3.0) which just doesn't seem to work. Downgraded to 1.2.8 and sound is working.

AppleALC 1.2.8 uses the new layout-id re-mapping schema used in 1.3.0 so you may find that AppleALC is actually using layout-id 7 (or some other id) even though you've set Clover to inject layout-id 3 . You can check by looking at the properties of the HDEF device in your ioreg. If it is using a layout-id other than the one that Clover is injecting then you may find that headphones and HDMI audio are not working.

AppleALC ver 1.2.8 was a stepping stone to ver 1.3.0 for MacOS 10.14.X support to test the layout-id re-mapping code which is still very much work in progress ... both 1.2.8 and 1.3.0 have issues with certain audio codec's such as the ALC295 used in HP X360 laptops.

If your only planning to run Sierra or High Sierra for the time being then i would recommend you use AppleALC 1.2.7 which does not use the layout-id re-mapping code thus headphones and HDMI audio should work.

The AppleALC Dev's are working hard on the code in order to get all Realtek ALC codecs supported using the new code in order to support both current and future versions of MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi @RehabMan, I have two questions, can you take a look at my files? First is the config.plist config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist spoof better than the non spoof for my laptop? also, it seems like the Bluetooth is not so stable. And I am trying the AppleAlc but it is not working maybe I am missing something. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• debug_27390.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
@ShortFormErnie Hey how long is your battery lasting?. Did you have problems with the Bluetooth as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back