Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for this set of patches (for 512 byte block size) on 10.13.
But the HackrNVMeFamily you made for 10.12.6 will still work with 10.13, so removing the spoof is something you can do after the update.

Dual boot 10.13+10.12 (or 10.13+10.11) is a different scenario... in that case, keep the spoof and ad HackrNVMeFamilyInjector.kext on 10.13.
To remove the class code spoof do just remove this from the SSDT?
"class-code", Buffer() { 0xff, 0x08, 0x01, 0x00 },

Dual boot 10.13+10.12 (or 10.13+10.11) is a different scenario... in that case, keep the spoof and ad HackrNVMeFamilyInjector.kext on 10.13.

What about going back to using the config.plist patches, but add <key>MatchOS</key><string>10.11.x,10.12.x</string> to each patch so that 10.13 is not affected? It's not likely that earlier OS's will require new patches in the future. Therefore the possibility of a failure is reduced, but I supposed the possibility is still greater than 0%.

To remove the class code spoof do just remove this from the SSDT?
"class-code", Buffer() { 0xff, 0x08, 0x01, 0x00 },

Simple: Remove the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml entirely.

What about going back to using the config.plist patches, but add <key>MatchOS</key><string>10.11.x,10.12.x</string> to each patch so that 10.13 is not affected? It's not likely that earlier OS's will require new patches in the future. Therefore the possibility of a failure is reduced, but I supposed the possibility is still greater than 0%.

This guide does not use Clover KextsToPatch. It uses a patched kext with class-code spoofing.

I am sure this is probably really easy, but I use my system for work and cannot afford to be down for any amount of time. Can someone give a quick walkthrough of updating from 10.12.X to 10.13 including removing any lines of code previously put in according to the OP and removing any unnecessary kexts or files.

I am sure this is probably really easy, but I use my system for work and cannot afford to be down for any amount of time. Can someone give a quick walkthrough of updating from 10.12.X to 10.13 including removing any lines of code previously put in according to the OP and removing any unnecessary kexts or files.

Nothing to do prior to the update.

Post update, process is obvious:
- remove SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml from ACPI/patched
- optional: remove HackrNVMeFamily*.kext from /L/E, /S/L/E (depending on where you installed it), and EFI/CLOVER/kexts

But I question the wisdom of updating to a .0 (as in 10.13.0) release if you "cannot afford to be down for any amount of time".

Well i don't know the reason, but in his upgrade instructions @RehabMan says to put the kext in /Library/Extensions when when i attempt this the kext doesn't load. Luckily had a USB key with a working installer on it so i could boot again, after moving it to /System/Library/Extensions all worked fine.

Well i don't know the reason, but in his upgrade instructions @RehabMan says to put the kext in /Library/Extensions when when i attempt this the kext doesn't load. Luckily had a USB key with a working installer on it so i could boot again, after moving it to /System/Library/Extensions all worked fine.

/Library/Extensions has the same effect as /System/Library/Extensions.

Thanks for the guide RehabMan!

I just updated my third hack from a sata SSD to a 960 PRO nvme. I followed your guide, but on boot I get a kp. I am thinking I might have the acpi path off. Since I don't have windows, I used ioreg on the mac side while my old sata SSD was in. Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG-0040.JPG

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4 MB · Views: 103
  • ioreg_output.ioreg
    13.3 MB · Views: 260
Thanks for the guide RehabMan!

I just updated my third hack from a sata SSD to a 960 PRO nvme. I followed your guide, but on boot I get a kp. I am thinking I might have the acpi path off. Since I don't have windows, I used ioreg on the mac side while my old sata SSD was in. Any help is greatly appreciated!View attachment 291784

Your ioreg is corrupt (wrong version of IORegistryExplorer.app used).
ACPI/origin files missing (you forgot to press F4)
_DSM->XDSM patch missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back