Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rehabman, thanks for the amazing work!

I have generated a --spoof’ed HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext matched with an ‘SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml’ with the NVMe controller's ACPI ID.

When I place the ‘SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml’ in ‘EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched’ I get a black screen instead of the Apple logo. It gets stuck there.

When I don’t place the ‘SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml’ in ‘EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched’, the system boots fine with Apple logo, but disk utility doesn’t see my Samsung 960 EVO.

Please advise.

Your help is massively appreciated.

I forgot to compile to SSDT to AML. Instead I pasted the code bare.
I might be... mentally challenged :lol:

Attachments

• Samsung 960 EVO.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Yes! Apologies for waisting your time.
You're a god.

Thank you, RehabMan, for this guide. The good news is that the guide clarifies a lot of the information in your patch-nvme README on github: https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme for those of us who don't have your in depth knowledge.

I have a Intel 750 400GB NVMe U.2 SSD I connected it and did all the above and it works I have it booting mac OS and everthing but my problem is that its not going at full speed and I think it may be Mac OS or the NVMe patch that isn't leting it go to its full potential I am only getting 900MBps read and write and it pegs at this. I ran a speed test under windows for this drive and it gets 2400MBps read and 1200MBps write so I don't understand why mac OS is slowing it down? any ideas???

Thanks

o yeah and I am running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2

but my problem is that its not going at full speed and I think it may be Mac OS or the NVMe patch

It is one of those two. Off-topic here... I don't want to get into troubleshooting performance issues with specific devices that are not well supported by the NVMe drivers, or patches provided by PikeRAlpha.

It is one of those two. Off-topic here... I don't want to get into troubleshooting performance issues with specific devices that are not well supported by the NVMe drivers, or patches provided by PikeRAlpha.

ok so your saying my Intel 750 isn't supported by the driver thats why I don't get full speeds?

ok cool thanks.

ok so your saying my Intel 750 isn't supported by the driver thats why I don't get full speeds?

ok cool thanks.

I have no idea... no experience with it. I have only Samsung 950 Pro. It has excellent performance. We should not be surprised with great performance with the Samsung drives, as it appears Apple tested with Samsung drives (possibly a pre-release of the Samsung 960 EVO).

The purpose of this thread is not to catalog the drives which are compatible with Pike's patches. And it is not the purpose of this thread to discuss how each different drive might perform when used with patched IONVMeFamily.kext on OS X/macOS.

The purpose of this thread is to describe a way to implement Pike's patches without the possibility of partial patches in the upgrade scenario, and without the possibility of panic in the case of both HackrNVMeFamily and IONVMeFamily present.

If you want to discuss the performance of your Intel 750 (perhaps amongst others that have it), I recommend you open your own thread that is dedicated to that topic and the users that wish to discuss it.

Last edited:
Hi again.

You had right about that i had must deleted the IONVMeFamily kext to get my NVMe up and running and not with the spoofed kext.

Now i have done a complete reinstall of 10.12.2

Done what you write in this guide. But it seems like it wont load the HackrNVMeFamily kext.
Added a zip with EFI and updated IOReg.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / output:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext
KernelCache ID: 1C6016BC441A508B3C91A484D48CA98D

Attachments

• debug Mac Pro.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Servus!

I am trying to do a fresh install of MacOS (10.12.2) directly to the Samsung 950 Pro. I have currently El Capitan up and running on the system and checked the ACPI path via IoReg. I created the SSDT with the correct path, added the code from config_patches.plist to my config.plist, and created the HackrNVMeFamily 10_12_2 kext with the --spoof option (I did it in El Capitan, is this the cause of trouble?)

The Disk Utility within the installer does not recognise Samsung 950.

Attached in .zip screenshot of the IoReg location, and the EFI/Clover folder.

I hope I have not overlooked the solution within the tread.

Thanks,
Pave

To use the resulting HackrNVMeFamily*.kext:
- make sure the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml is in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
- make sure existing _DSM methods at the NVMe SSD ACPI path are renamed or deleted
- install the HackrNVMeFamily*.kext or inject it via EFI/Clover/kexts

Problem Reporting
Provide a detailed and concise description of the problem.

If your drive is not recognized by the macOS/OS X installer or you are getting a panic...

Provide image from Windows Device Manager showing the ACPI namespace path of your SSD.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attachments

• Problem_Reporting.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back