Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I though I had it in my signature.

It's in M.2 on Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard, and I've been looking around on the web and pretty much everywhere I look people get over 2K in write when used in M.2.

You didn't mention which Samsung 950 you have.
Also you didn't mention the speeds you're actually getting, nor what software you're using to test it.

Question: If I wanted to switch the 950 Pro out with a 960 Pro, then do you know if that would require any patch/config changes or would it be acceptable for me to simply clone the 950 drive via CCC and write the resulting image onto the 960? Or would it be necessary/preferable to do a fresh USB install via Unibeast?

Thanks again Rehabman for your help.

EDIT: If this question is off topic, then please direct me to the proper forum.

Last edited:
Question: If I wanted to switch the 950 Pro out with a 960 Pro, then do you know if that would require any patch/config changes or would it be acceptable for me to simply clone the 950 drive via CCC and write the resulting image onto the 960? Or would it be necessary/preferable to do a fresh USB install via Unibeast?

I would ultimately aim for a 960 Pro x 3 setup, with my current PCI port dedicated to OS X, and the two m.2 ports dedicated to a hardware RAID driven by the BIOS installed on my mobo for a super-fast Windows 10 setup; I assume I would need to change a few settings in BIOS each time I wanted to change boots, but otherwise is this setup feasible/practical? I'd probably also want to install Parallels on my OS X SSD just to have easy access to Windows from that boot as well, so I'd likely go for a single 1TB 960 Pro (to run OS X + Windows 10 via Parallels) and two 512GB 960 Pro's (to run Windows 10 via NVMe BIOS RAID).

Thanks again Rehabman for your help.

You will need to inject class-code for each NVMe SSD that is installed. All other questions are off-topic.

@RehabMan

Here are the Screenshots done from AJA Disk test and Blackmagic design under completely functioning OS.

The only issue besides the speed was the kernel panic from USB Installer, but when installed from OS to the direct everything went perfectly smooth.

Also for some odd reason the System Profiler shows the speed as PCIEx2 instead of 4 and 5GT/s instead of 10.

Is there anyway to fix them trough SSDT?

Thank you very much for you help.

Aja950Pro.jpeg BMD950Pro.jpeg SystemProfiler.jpeg

Also for some odd reason the System Profiler shows the speed as PCIEx2 instead of 4 and 5GT/s instead of 10.

Must have to do with how you have the hardware configured. Hardware issues off-topic here.

You will need to inject class-code for each NVMe SSD that is installed.
Will I be able to receive additional support from you to accomplish this once the 960's arrive? The only reason I was able to get my 950 Pro running Sierra was because I received direct support from you (which was very much appreciated).

Will I be able to receive additional support from you to accomplish this once the 960's arrive? The only reason I was able to get my 950 Pro running Sierra was because I received direct support from you (which was very much appreciated).

Cross each bridge as you come to it. I would think by now, you have enough information to proceed on your own.

Cross each bridge as you come to it. I would think by now, you have enough information to proceed on your own.
I feel as though I have only begun my journey through the wilderness. I will seek ye when I need ya then ;=)

Hi. I used your method to get an EVO 960 running. All was well for a few days until the machine stopped responding. Beachballs, no apps would launch, and a black screen on reboot. I restored from time machine, all was well for a few hours and it happened again. I made a thread, but a not sure if you can see it. I will give you any info you need.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvme-was-working-well-until-i-had-to-restore-from-backup.211056/

Thank you.

I also get very different speeds before and after the machine has been to sleep.

Hi. I used your method to get an EVO 960 running. All was well for a few days until the machine stopped responding. Beachballs, no apps would launch, and a black screen on reboot. I restored from time machine, all was well for a few hours and it happened again. I made a thread, but a not sure if you can see it. I will give you any info you need.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvme-was-working-well-until-i-had-to-restore-from-backup.211056/

Thank you.

I also get very different speeds before and after the machine has been to sleep.

I replied in your linked thread. You will need to provide details.

Two possibilities:
- you made a lot of mistakes with your setup
OR
- the 960 Pro is not very compatible with Pike's NVMe patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back