Contribute
Register

[Guide] Hackintosh on Dell OptiPlex 380 (Mini Tower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using smbios 13,1 to install, after install you can revert back to smbios 10,1 with -no_compat_check boot flag, the kernal panic could be caused by the gpu you have, it works perfectly with my ati radeon hd 5450 in high sierra
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I'm currently not using any graphics card. (Onboard one?) Do you know if there's a way to get round this?
Thanks!

Edit: I have seen a Lenovo 89Y6152 Radeon HD5450 512MB PCIe Display Port Low Profile Graphics Card on ebay for cheap. Would this work with your efi folder?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I'm currently not using any graphics card. (Onboard one?) Do you know if there's a way to get round this?
Thanks!

Edit: I have seen a Lenovo 89Y6152 Radeon HD5450 512MB PCIe Display Port Low Profile Graphics Card on ebay for cheap. Would this work with your efi folder?
Yes that graphics card should work perfectly

Hi all,
Also, Ritchie please could you post your current EFI? That'd be great because then I know it will just work 'out of the box' with the graphics card
Sure, here you go. Just remember to use your own serial number, please.

Also, this doesn't have the SATA patch described upthread.

Attachments

• EFI_380_20210206.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 105
Hi all,
I have just had my Dell Low profile ATI Radeon HD5450 512mb delivered and put it in the PC.
First, I just got a max fan speed and no boot. Took it out and put it back in and now im getting normal fan speed and a picture however:
When I use Ritchie's EFI I get a black screen after a bit of verbose output and that's it.
If I use pgreezy's EFI I get a no entry logo after a bit of scrolling text.

Any ideas what this could be?
Also, sometimes the computer does the fan thing with no display when I turn it on but re-plugging the hdmi and trying again seems to fix. Not sure what's going on there

Ethan :)

That EFI has only been tested on my Optiplex 380 with the Quadro (see my profile), I don't have anything else.

That EFI has only been tested on my Optiplex 380 with the Quadro (see my profile), I don't have anything else.
Makes sense, thanks for you fast reply nevertheless :)

Yes that graphics card should work perfectly
Hi pgreezy,
I have just read over your tutorial again. I don't really understand the part about installing the graphics card?
High Sierra works well with Ritchie's but when the graphics card is inserted I get a black screen, like you said will probably happen.
How should I go about installing the required kexts? I put the Fix AMD ones into kexts\Other but have not had any joy.
I also had a go at another tutorial on how to install the graphics card by modifying the config but that didn't work either.

Thanks!

Hi pgreezy,
I have just read over your tutorial again. I don't really understand the part about installing the graphics card?
High Sierra works well with Ritchie's but when the graphics card is inserted I get a black screen, like you said will probably happen.
How should I go about installing the required kexts? I put the Fix AMD ones into kexts\Other but have not had any joy.
I also had a go at another tutorial on how to install the graphics card by modifying the config but that didn't work either.

Thanks!
You have to find out what the device id is for your graphics card it varies as there are any diffrent brands that make the amd radeon hd 5450, mine is sapphire brand and is known to work well with macos with device id 68e4, find your id and change it in the amd5000 kext and x3000 kext and the amdlegacysupport kext, here are the sierra kext i used with my graphics card, if your device id is the same it should work, or just change the device id to the correct one

Attachments

• AMD FIX.zip
    14.9 MB · Views: 115
You have to find out what the device id is for your graphics card it varies as there are any diffrent brands that make the amd radeon hd 5450, mine is sapphire brand and is known to work well with macos with device id 68e4, find your id and change it in the amd5000 kext and x3000 kext and the amdlegacysupport kext, here are the sierra kext i used with my graphics card, if your device id is the same it should work, or just change the device id to the correct one
Also you have to use an app called kext utility to install these kext, do not put them in other folder it wont work, just drag the 8 files in kext utility and let it do its work, restart and see if that works

Hi all,
Quick update:
I got High Sierra up and running with Mac mini late 2012 smbios.
Turns out I had forgotten to put the graphics card drivers in the kexts \ other folder. Now it's working great!

I'm getting notifications to say that I can update to Mojave. Would it be compatible with this hardware?

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back