Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z68a-d3-b3
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
GTX 650
OK, guys, this is a very easy to do guide from scratch you can do upgrade as well however I wanted to do a clean install. For a Direct upgrade Guide Tony has a fantastic Guide posted here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-catalina.284463/

Everything works -Accept non supported USB 3.0. (However, you can purchase USB 3.0 PCI card and get it to work that way.) Sleep/wake and supported Nvidia GPUs work

Updates
[October-16-2019] Supplemental Update

[March-24-2020] 10.15.4

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.22.43 PM.png

Steps
1- Download Catalina from app store https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314
2- You need a 16gb USB stick as the file size is 8gb+
3- Create a usb installer (Make sure you name the usb stick Untitled)
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.43.37 PM.png

4- Once the USB stick is created, then mount the EFI folder using Clover Configulator or any app that can mount the EFI partition
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.45.10 PM.png

5- Use supplied EFI from attachments and place inside the EFI folder of the installer
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.38.55 PM.png

6- Boot computer using F12 Key, and format drive. Make sure to delete everything form the drive and to use Disk Utility - make sure its GUID and partition type is macOS Extended (Journaled). Once OS is installed, it will convert to AFPS automatically. (Makes sure to click view and show all devices and you will see the name of your drive i.e like mine says ADATA SX900 Media you wanna erase that or else you wont get the extended journaled option.)

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.35.40 PM.png

Step7- After install is complete and you are able to use the OS, use Clover and mount the EFI partition of macOS on installed drive. Copy the EFI folder in there. Now your macOS will become bootable.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.38.55 PM.png

Post install
Get rid of that annoying message of asking you to allow install for every app
Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal and enter the following command to allow apps downloaded from unidentified developers:
Paste following command in terminal

Code:
 sudo spctl --master-disable

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 983
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.41.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.41.53 PM.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,605
  • Clover Configurator.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Thank you for the write up and EFI directory. It worked perfectly for me.

I'm trying this with a sandisk 32gb USB, and EUFI boot or normaly boot just produces a grey screen, dodgy USB stick ?
Please check and make sure you copied the EFI folder correctly delete everything from the partition and try again. Also make sure your bios is set for UEFI.. also please make sure you have the latest bios from the website as well. Also try resetting bios to default and re doing all the settings and try again.

@Elite2k Thanks for the help!

I followed your guide and I have Catalina running great on my x299 board.

Dumb question, if I'm using EFI provided by another user here, and I copied it from my boot USB to the EFI partition of my boot SSD, do I need to run Multibeast before rebooting?

@Elite2k Thanks for the help!

I followed your guide and I have Catalina running great on my x299 board.

Dumb question, if I'm using EFI provided by another user here, and I copied it from my boot USB to the EFI partition of my boot SSD, do I need to run Multibeast before rebooting?

Well, here is the thing MultiBeast is designed to help people with drivers and customization. However, if you are missing any drivers or some customizations that you need then you may want to use the utility. But with that being said, if the EFI was for the same board, then chances are that you do not have to use it. Just like how I made the EFI folder specific for the motherboard that I use. If someone used it, that's all they require unless they have other hardware that needs extra drivers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back