Contribute
Register

[Guide] Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3+EVGA GTX650

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering since i have Sandy bridge and not Ivy bridge like yours do i need to remove any thing from "config file" so that processor don't freak out :)

I was wondering since i have Sandy bridge and not Ivy bridge like yours do i need to remove any thing from "config file" so that processor don't freak out :)

No, you don't have to do anything. it's fine it will work fine.. just make sure you have a GPU that is supported that will make your life easier. I don't play games, just surf the net and watch movies and stream and run a Plex server so for me gt740, etc.. the supported cheap Nvidia cards work fine. Here is a list of cards 710-740 are cheap now since they are old and they do the trick for me. They also work out of the box so makes it super easier. I also use an audio usb adapter it makes things more vanilla.

Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and Play No Drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA)

Supported cards:
Kepler Gen 2:
  • GTX Titan (GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Black(GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Z (One of the few dual GPU cards supported in MacOs)
  • GTX 780/ti
  • GTX 770
  • GTX 760/ti
  • GT 740
  • GT 730
  • GT 720
  • GT 710

Attachments

• 714iiyohubL._SL1500_.jpg
    714iiyohubL._SL1500_.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
First of all thanks for the EFI and also for the guide. I followed this guide and I have a doubt when I already installed macOS is necessary to run first the preboot?
Another question I have it is necessary to run unibest or something or using clover configuration is enough?

Sorry if these questions are basic but I'm newbie

No, you don't have to do anything. it's fine it will work fine.. just make sure you have a GPU that is supported that will make your life easier. I don't play games, just surf the net and watch movies and stream and run a Plex server so for me gt740, etc.. the supported cheap Nvidia cards work fine. Here is a list of cards 710-740 are cheap now since they are old and they do the trick for me. They also work out of the box so makes it super easier. I also use an audio usb adapter it makes things more vanilla.

Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and Play No Drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA)

Supported cards:
Kepler Gen 2:
  • GTX Titan (GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Black(GK 110 Maxwell core)
  • GTX Titan Z (One of the few dual GPU cards supported in MacOs)
  • GTX 780/ti
  • GTX 770
  • GTX 760/ti
  • GT 740
  • GT 730
  • GT 720
  • GT 710
Thank for your reply. i have both GTX 660ti and GT 730..I dont game either, Most of the time i am on MS Word, Scannin Document , Printing..What is the better choice..Asking coz 660ti is working out of box connected to DVI, didnt check HDMI
Thank you

First of all thanks for the EFI and also for the guide. I followed this guide and I have a doubt when I already installed macOS is necessary to run first the preboot?
Another question I have it is necessary to run unibest or something or using clover configuration is enough?

if installation is done ..use usb to boot into your installed Osx(preboot). Install clover in EFI partition of your system drive, Copy/Replace EFI folder in EFI partition..you are done

Thank for your reply. i have both GTX 660ti and GT 730..I dont game either, Most of the time i am on MS Word, Scannin Document , Printing..What is the better choice..Asking coz 660ti is working out of box connected to DVI, didnt check HDMI
Thank you

Well, 660ti is slightly more powerful.. however its an older card now.. also more power consumption, etc. I would go with the 730 newer / HDMI does work you may need to load the HDMI kext if it doesn't. I am using a 730 too works OOB! :D
I have mine connected to an Epson projector and an LCD monitor for daily stuff it does the job and works good enough for my purposes. Msword, surfing, and plex that's it.

Last edited:

Firstly, if you don't want to spend too much time just use the EFI folder that is already built
secondly, you can modify it using clover conflgulator or some editor later if you need to edit specific hardware
thirdly, I do not use unibeast it is simple for someone who is new however it is not necessary. I dont have time to explain everything but a quick basic lesson is simply build a bootable USB stick/mount the EFI partition using cloverconfigulator and add an EFI folder or use the tonymac custom clover and it will load it for you. With this being said there are a few ways to build a bootable USB stick you pick what's the easiest and what your comfortable with if you're totally new then go with the multibeast. Also, remember to format the USB to GUID!!! this is an absolute. GL :D

Hi Elite2K!

Since I have the same h/w config as yours, over the years I have followed installations to the letter and all worked fine. Thank you for sharing your work. In time, as per your advice I have upgraded the sound (through USB) and the video card: GTX 650 Ti 2Gb.
I am currently at 10.12.6 and all works fine. Are you saying that if I do the upgrade to 10.14.6 directly through App store, it will work just fine? I do not wish to screw up the system but in the same time I wish to upgrade it too.
Thanks!

I'm running a gigabyte Z68 and GTX650 just fine. You should always expect a few potential glitches doing an upgraade, so by all means, have a working back up for your 10.12.6 on a different drive before you do the upgrade. Going from 10.12 to 10.14 you may be better doing an install from a usb rather than app store, but if you have made a back up first, then try the direct upgrade via the app store first, keeping the usb install as a second option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back