Contribute
Register

[Guide] Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3+EVGA GTX650

Status
Not open for further replies.
This worked for me for upgrades ( will make a guide on full install later in new thread for high sierra)

Firstly, I had to delete my old EFI folder and install the newest clover setup the smbios in config.plist to 14'2 imac and if you have a SSD you wil need to add apfs.efi Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
Also make sure you update to the latest FAKESMC.kext /EFI/ClOVER/Kexts/Other
Secondly, setup the SIP settings 0x28 and 0x67
For more info if you dont want apfs etc. check out tonys thread
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

-I updated clover used the following settings for sip 0x28 0x67
-updated to 10.13
-added clover new commands for loading nvidia driver
1. Mount EFI Partition
2. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with text edit, Xcode, or Plist Editor Pro
3. Edit as shown below:

Code (Text):
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

4. Remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 (does not work for High sierra)
5. Save and reboot

-boom everything worked fine

P.S. note that you must install nvidia driver only if you need it. If your system has a supported video card it will work out of the box for example on my gtx 640 and 650 both worked out of the box didn't need anything

Attachments

• hs.png
    hs.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 163
  • apfs.efi
    547.8 KB · Views: 181
  • FakeSMC-v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
This worked for me for upgrades ( will make a guide on full install later in new thread for high sierra)

Firstly, I had to delete my old EFI folder and install the newest clover setup the smbios in config.plist to 14'2 imac and if you have a SSD you wil need to add apfs.efi Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
Also make sure you update to the latest FAKESMC.kext /EFI/ClOVER/Kexts/Other
Secondly, setup the SIP settings 0x28 and 0x67
For more info if you dont want apfs etc. check out tonys thread
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

-I updated clover used the following settings for sip 0x28 0x67
-updated to 10.13
-added clover new commands for loading nvidia driver
1. Mount EFI Partition
2. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with text edit, Xcode, or Plist Editor Pro
3. Edit as shown below:

Code (Text):
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

4. Remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 (does not work for High sierra)
5. Save and reboot

-boom everything worked fine

P.S. note that you must install nvidia driver only if you need it. If your system has a supported video card it will work out of the box for example on my gtx 640 and 650 both worked out of the box didn't need anything
Thanks for the testing Elite2K! Looking forward to your 10.13 full install guide!

Thanks for the testing Elite2K! Looking forward to your 10.13 full install guide!

Currently, nvidia drivers are having alot of issues. Secondly the new partition type is also another road block weather to use to it or not. Also no unibeast or multibeast support. I think at the current time its more headaches to upgrade to high sierra. If you look at the update threads most people are having issues ie booting / kernel panic / kexts.

Currently, nvidia drivers are having alot of issues. Secondly the new partition type is also another road block weather to use to it or not. Also no unibeast or multibeast support. I think at the current time its more headaches to upgrade to high sierra. If you look at the update threads most people are having issues ie booting / kernel panic / kexts.

Interesting... Yeah, APFS and Nvidia driver issues seem to be a common theme across 10.13 installs. Maybe 10.13.1 will bring a little bit more stability. Started to upgrade my 10.12.6 install to High Sierra over the weekend, but changed my mind before it was too late. Happy that I did, considering 10.12.6 on my Z68MA board is so rock-solid.

Interesting... Yeah, APFS and Nvidia driver issues seem to be a common theme across 10.13 installs. Maybe 10.13.1 will bring a little bit more stability. Started to upgrade my 10.12.6 install to High Sierra over the weekend, but changed my mind before it was too late. Happy that I did, considering 10.12.6 on my Z68MA board is so rock-solid.

+1. Just managed to configure it all and not feeling like messing again :D

Hi,

I have followed this thread from years... it's a big headache saver! Kudos to Elite2K!
I ask the experts on two issues:

1. I have basically almost the same config as Elite has. My Mac works fine but sometimes does not boot, or it boots, the apple shows up, loading... and then blank screen or flickering. Or it works fine for some time and suddenly during a copy process or simply in idle, the computer reboots itself.
This annoyance happened with almost every mac release in the past years and have no idea where to look into and of course during the years, I used different boot programs. At first I thought was the Intel3000 video but then I got the GTX650/2Gb and installed everything new, problem still there. In one point I had an older SSD that died on me and I thought that was the problem. Now I got a new SSD, so should be no problems there. I have replaced/switched cables, checked the hardware, all tidy. Any ideas?
Thank you!

2. Does anyone know the performance of this NVidida GTX650? I am thinking to upgrade my monitor and have the following questions:
- Does it have enough juice for a 4K (3840 x 2160) monitor and does require some custom kexts or or other settings?
- Or, does it do the extra wide res such as 21:9, respectively 2560 x 1080? (also requires custom kexts?)
Thank you!

Last edited:
I have this board as well. I just did a clean install with Unibeast 8.0 and I'm having trouble getting the installation to boot. Right now I can only boot my High Sierra installation with the installer usb loaded. Otherwise I just get to the Apple boot screen and nothing more, no progress bar. I think it's a Clover thing because my Windows 7 disk, which works great by itself, will not boot when Clover is the bootloader. I formatted the drive Extended Journaled/GUID. I loaded optimized defaults, SATA mode = AHCI, enable EHCI hand-off, enabled HPET. I took everything else offline so I am just working with this drive. And I did post installation with Multibeast 10. I run HD3000 for graphics. I need this machine to be up and running so any help greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back