CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
PLEASE CAN I ASK THAT ANY QUESTIONS ARE POSTED IN THIS THREAD RATHER THAN BY PM TO ME. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT OTHERS MAY BENEFIT FROM ANY DISCOURSE THAT MAY FOLLOW. THANKS!

Status
[WORKING]
  • + Graphics: Intel HD3000 (works perfectly for most though a few users have reported artefacts)
    + Networking: Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet
    + Audio: Realtek ALC889
    + SATA3
    + USB3
    + TRIM support for SSDs
    + Dual-monitor support (DVI & HDMI)
    + Power Management (Sleep/Restart/Shutdown)
    + P-States (I have 8 steps on my overclocked PC from 1.6ghz to 4.7ghz)
    + Single-click wake from sleep
    + No BIOS reset from sleep

[NOT TESTED]
  • + HDMI audio
    I intend to test the above when I get the time. If you have any other tests to suggest I am all ears :)

[NOT WORKING]
  • + Motherboard sensors (cpu/mobo temps & fan speeds) - FakeSMC motherboard plugins + UseKernelCache kernel setting = kernel panics

My Hardware

• + Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard - BIOS version F9
    + Intel Core i7 2600k CPU (overclocked to 4.7ghz, multiplier: x47, vCore: +0.04v)
    + 16GB RAM
    + Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
    + Corsair H60 Cooler (push/pull config)
    + Fractal Design Core 1000 chassis
    + Nexus Value 430 PSU

Build notes

• + I had to connect my display via DVI for installation and the initial boot as HDMI doesn't get a desktop until after the MacMini system definition is installed during the MultiBeast install phase.
    + The white SATA3 connectors work fine with my SATA3 SSD, however, I did have problems using them with SATA2 devices, I.E. boot times would take over a minute whereas when using the blue connectors I could boot to desktop in 12 seconds.
    + I used the latest official Realtek 2.0.6 Lion drivers, previously I had problems with the Lnx2Mac 0.0.90 and Realtek 2.0.6 Snow Leopard drivers.
    + P-states/CPU scaling/SpeedStep/Turbo work by default, the kernel pstate/cstate parameters were not required. This was determined using the very handy MSRDumper - http://goo.gl/xs98h. They are however added by Multibeast anyway, I leave them in. My overclocked system displays these P-states:
    [list:2ipdl8y0]Oct 29 12:00:27 workstation kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 18 20 21 29 38 43 47
+ I don't use the USB3 drivers as I don't have USB3 devices, however we have had confirmation that they are working fine on this motherboard.
[/list:u:2ipdl8y0]

Preparation

• + Connect display via DVI, you can use HDMI when installation is complete.
    + BIOS Settings - As default except:[list:2ipdl8y0]
    - Enable 480MB Frame buffer for the Intel HD3000 integrated graphics
    - AHCI for SATA mode
    - 64-bit mode HPET
    - Quick-boot (not compulsory)
    - Hard disk as primary boot device (non compulsory)
+ For UniBeast install install create a UniBeast USB installer - http://goo.gl/Ll0wM
+ Or alternatively, for rBoot + xMove install+ Ensure your mobo is on version F9, if not update it. Then download the Z68MA F9 DSDT from the DSDT section of the TonyMac site http://goo.gl/19MHU and place on a USB key
+ Download the latest MultiBeast 4.x and place on a USB key
[/list:u:2ipdl8y0]

Installation
  • 1.) Insert UniBeast USB key OR rBoot CD and xMove USB key
    2.) Depending on install method, boot to UniBeast or rBoot (use F12 to specify appropriate boot device)
    3.) If using the rBoot+xMove method select the xMove partition from USB key
    4.) Install OSX Lion (note: install partition must be <= 1TB otherwise you will have boot loader problems)

Multibeast Configuration
After the installation of Lion completes and while at the desktop for the first boot:
  • 1.) Copy the Z68MA-D2H-B3 F9 DSDT from the USB key onto the Desktop
    2.) Install Multibeast 4.x with these options:
    file.php

Hotfix Configuration

• 1.) Using Terminal apply this fix for the Standby BIOS reset issue:
    Code:
    sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

2.) OPTIONAL: I also enabled TRIM for my SSD using Grant Pannell's method, it works for me however your results may vary depending on your SSD - http://goo.gl/aEAPU

All done! now reboot and you should have a perfectly working system

PLEASE CAN I ASK THAT ANY QUESTIONS ARE POSTED IN THIS THREAD RATHER THAN BY PM TO ME. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT OTHERS MAY BENEFIT FROM ANY DISCOURSE THAT MAY FOLLOW. THANKS!

Attachments

• MultiBeast List.png
    MultiBeast List.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 5,577
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2h-B3 [WORKING] with sleep, speedstep etc.

Issues so far? :)

Re: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2h-B3 [WORKING] with sleep, speedstep etc.

Mate94 said:
Issues so far? :)

Actually, yes, today I noticed a problem with the Realtek network driver failing, so I installed the latest lnx2mac 0.0.90 driver which resolved those problems. I will update my original post accordingly.

Apart from that, it's been plain sailing, no trouble. Sleep, audio, pstates, integrated gfx, lan, sata, usb2 all working well.

If anything else crops up I'll be checking back to update :)

EDIT: now using the Realtek 10.7 driver, had issues with LNX2MAC 0.0.90

OK, I have a couple of updates:

1.) I tried using Chimera 1.6 from the latest Multibeast 4.1, however I got regular kernel panics and graphic glitches, so I reverted to Multibeast 4.0.3 with Chimera 1.5.4 which are 100% stable for me. I am not entirely sure if it is the new kernel parameters or Chimera that caused the problems, I may test that later.

EDIT: These kernel panics were caused by the combination of the usekernelcache org.chameleon.Boot.plist setting enabled by default by Chimera 1.6 and the FakeSMC motherboard plugins. I decided to uninstall the motherboard plugins in the end and stick with userkernelcache because I had noticed that without this setting I would get HD3000 errors in the kernel log during startup. Not entirely sure what the errors were about and its effect but until I know I will assume that no errors are better than errors!

2.) Again, I have changed my NIC driver, with the latest Lnx2Mac driver (0.0.90) I was getting poor ethernet performance at times (poor throughput and Time Machine failures) and the kernel.log was displaying plenty of these error messages: "Too much work at interrupt!". So I gave the latest official Realtek 2.0.6 Lion driver a try (the previous one supplied by Multibeast was the SL version) and so far, it is working really well.

3.) Also, I have now tested and am happily using dual monitors on this system with no troubles whatsoever.

Amazing guide! This is making my life so much easier, so thank you very much!

No worries, glad it helped. I am actually going to update it tomorrow as I made a couple of significant discoveries. In short, only the newer multibeast install is required if the fakesmc plugins are excluded, it seems that the combination of kernel cache being enabled (by default in latest chimera) and the fakesmc plugins caused the panics I was getting... More tomorrow.

djbuddha sent me a PM referring to a boot0 error he is getting, while I am unfamiliar with this particular error and what generated it (BIOS/boot loader/kernel etc.) I have replied below with some generic steps that may assist with the troubleshooting of boot (loader) problems:

djbuddha said:
Hey!

Thanks for the quick response.

I never installed FakeSMC .. my boot loader also isn't working (I used the UniBeast method to get 10.7.2 on here)..

I get that boot0: error message .. does not having FakeSMC installed have something to do with that as well?

FakeSMC is installed by default by both UserDSDT and EasyBeast methods in MultiBeast. It is a prerequisite for a working OSX x86 install, the most important component for getting it working, it is what fools the OSX install into thinking that it is running on genuine Apple hardware (AFAIK).
It is the FakeSMC Motherboard sensors that I no longer recommend as they appear to conflict with the UseKernelCache kernel setting which is enabled by the latest MultiBeast by default.

I'm not entirely sure what your boot0 error is (does it appear before or after the Chimera splash screen?), but here are some suggestions to check:

- invalid BIOS boot device specified (ensure the OSX install hard disk is set to be the primary boot device)
- boot loader (chimera) not installed (this SHOULD be installed by the MultiBeast/UserDSDT process)
- boot loader unable to find os partition (unlikely, but can happen due to disk configuration being changed after boot loader install)

I am not sure what your configuration looks like, # of hard disks, partitioning etc. but for simplicities sake, for the initial install and config I would recommend having only one hard disk attached, and installing to a cleanly partitioned disk (GUID scheme, not MBR) preferably installed to the first partition.

It is possible to install Windows 7 x64 to the same disk in another partition, but I would make sure you can get OSX working in the most simple way possible first, before trying to dual-boot.

As memmerson asked in our conversation via PM, I'm posting this in the thread (hope the question helps someone!)

----

It's not a bios issue (boot priority issue) .. I've tried it multiple times and am having no luck with the boot loader ... I'm going to reattempt this install on a SSD ... I read about other changes as this error I'm getting is fairly common.. I'll sort through it and report back.

The last thing I was wondering was about that hot fix (which I assume you type that entire string in via terminal) .. When I do, it prompts for a password. I never set a password when I installed ... So I have no idea what to type in...? Lol .. Any thoughts on this?

djbuddha

Hi,

Out of interest, what disk are you using? I wonder if you are using a USB disk as they may be problematic… I suspect that booting with an rBoot CD will make your install bootable in the mean time before you get a fix.

Regarding the sudo password, this will be the password for the user account you created during installation, if you did not set a password then just pressing enter at the prompt may work but I assume you tried that? If that doesn't work then create a password for your account in System Preferences\Users & Groups and then retry. You could erase the password again afterwards if you wanted.

EDIT: I just came across a few posts mentioning the boot0 error, it can also be caused by having a boot partition larger than 1TB.
Also, apparently some Western Digital Caviar Green disks have some trouble also, there is a fix here:
http://www.mymac4music.com/2011/10/boot0-error/

Turned out my boot issue was due to my partition being over 1 TB. This was using a Seagate 2 TB Green Drive.

Using the following guide and memmerson's guide where applicable, I got Windows 7 and 10.7.2 installed.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

This was done on my 120 gig Vertex II Solid State. (gonna try to TRIM support that memmerson posted about and will report back).

Windows 7 wouldn't boot after, I used these steps to fix the install:

Reboot with the Windows 7 install DVD
go into Repair
open Command Prompt
Use Diskutil to set the Windows 7 partition active (if you followed the guide I linked above, it would be Partition 3)
Reboot the machine again into the Windows 7 Install DVD
go into Repair
Repair will then report that there is a problem with startup options.
Click Repair and Reboot
The computer will then boot into Windows 7 that was just installed
Open Command prompt (click on start and type cmd)
using diskpart, set the EFT partition active (if you followed the the guide I linked above, it would be Partition 1).

Reboot, enjoy ;)

One last thing. Since I rebooted on this new OSX install my graphics are glitching like crazy. On my Seagate install it did for the 1st little while and then it seemingly resolved itself. I followed all the steps you edited today (Wednesday Nov 16 2011) for my install. As I'm typing this in OSX, my firefox window keeps blinking from black and back to normal. Plus random horizontal lines popping up.

Any thoughts on this?

djbuddha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back