Contribute
Register

[Guide] Gigabyte P35Xv3 (1080P) using Clover UEFI (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite X2
CPU
i5-7600U
Graphics
HD 620, 2736x1834
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gigabyte P35X v3 owners….Get out your spoons and prepare to be fed.

The following applies only to the Gigabyte P35X v3 sporting the 1080P FHD screen. If you have the 3K screen, you will most likely have to adjust these instructions and files before attempting an install. This should be self evident, but I’ll say it anyway — It’s the internet, so follow these instructions at your own risk!

I am also assuming that you intend to install OS X on a separate drive from your Windows installation. If you already had RAID set up, OS X won’t run with the BIOS set in this mode, sorry about your luck!

All you is an 8GB USB stick or larger, a real Mac or working Hack to create the install media, and 1-2hrs depending on whether or not you are going to patch your own files.

As for what works, it’s best to just describe what doesn’t — the SD card reader does not work and probably never will. It is PCI based and until somebody with some programming skills and hardware knowledge wants a RealTek, PCI based SD card reader to work on OS X, we are out of luck. Also, the stock Intel 7260 Wifi card does not work at all. My guide assumes that you have purchased and installed the Azurewave AW-CE123H card. It is a Broadcom 94352HMB based device that works perfectly under OS X as well as Win8/Win10…Not to mention that it is easily obtained and inexpensive.

This guide will work equally well for both Yosemite and El Capitan, but it is written for El Capitan since that is the latest version of OS X. Obviously, you’ll have to do some name substitutions if you want to install Yosemite. There are only two differences in the outcome that I’m aware of at this point between the two — On Yosemite, HDMI/miniDP audio output is distorted and unusable, but works perfectly on El Capitan. And the brightness keys work Intermittently in El Capitan (Use the slider in system preferences), but do function in Yosemite. I haven’t looked into this much yet, but I do think it can be fixed, can’t say the same for the audio issues.

1. BIOS setup
Probably best to install the latest BIOS but I’ve run on the original as well without issue.
Only a couple things to do here -

a. Delete the secure boot keys and disable secure boot.
b Set the Drive mode to AHCI, no way around this so if you had a RAID array set up, then it’s best to reinstall Windows first, then move on to OS X.
c. Set the boot mode to UEFI Only. One word of advice regarding this - If you use F12 to bring up the boot menu so as to boot from the USB drive, it will automatically switch it back to Legacy Mode so it is better to simply boot to the BIOS setup and change the boot order so that the USB drive boots first. It probably doesn’t matter much at first, but after everything is installed and running, if legacy mode is selected then OS X will boot to a black screen every time. Cycling sleep will bring up the screen, but it’s annoying.

2. Create your Installation Media

a. Get an 8GB or larger USB stick and format it in Disk Utility on a Mac/Hack as GUID, OS X Extended (journaled), and call it INSTALL.
b. Make sure “Install OS X El Capitan” is located in the /Applications folder.
c. open up a Terminal window and type the following -

sudo /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/INSTALL --applicationpath /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app --nointeraction

d. While that’s installing to the USB, download the latest version of Clover from here -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

e. Once El Capitan has successfully installed to the USB stick, right click on the Clover package and install clover to your USB drive. (Make certain you’re not installing it to the Mac hard drive, particularly if it’s a real mac.)
Select the following options -
- “Install for UEFI booting only” (install clover in the ESP will get checked also)
- check the Themes box
- under the Drivers64UEFI menu, select “OsxAptioFixDrv-64”

Again, make certain you are installing it to the USB drive.

f. Once complete, the EFI partition will mount. Delete the CLOVER folder and replace it with the one attached to this post. The CLOVER folder I’m providing contains patched DSDTs/SSDTs as well as the injector kext for working USB ports. Once that is copied over, add the latest version of the following items utilizing the links provided:

(credits to RehabMan, Mirone, and EMlyDinEsH for the following kexts. And the many others who have made this possible. Thanks for all your hard work!)

Kexts Needed - place in CLOVER/kexts/Other/

SmartTouchPad_v4.4.5_64bit.zip
http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index....and-synaptics-smart-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

AppleHDA-272.50-ALC282_v1.zip
https://github.com/Mirone/AppleHDA_10.11/tree/master/Laptop's

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-battery-driver/downloads

BrcmPatchRam2.kext
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-brcmpatchram/downloads

CodecCommander.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads

FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext
FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
FakePCIID.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads

FakeSMC.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads

IntelBacklight.kext
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-backlight/downloads

RealtekRTL8111.kext
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/category/5-lan-and-wireless/

The GigabyteUSBXHCI.kext is an injector kext that I made using RehabMan’s template found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

Use it, don’t use it. Up to you. The MacBookPro 11,2 SMBIOS does not utilize EHC1 or EHC2 so there is no need to rename them regardless of if you intend to actually build the USB 2.0 hubs or not. As is, since XHC does not match either, El Capitan will attempt to use the DSDT to figure out the USB situation. Left to its own devices, all ports will enumerate save SSP2 (one of the USB 3.0 ports). This can be solved easily in two ways — 1. Use my injector kext or build one yourself. OR 2. Edit one of the HS devices under XHC in the DSDT. And by that i mean set the first property under UPCP in method _UPC to “zero” so that it does not show as connectable and SSP2 is captured by default. For reference, the ports that are actually used are HS01, HS02, HS04, HS09, HS11, HS12, SSP1, and SSP2, so obviously, if you’re going to disable a port in the DSDT, don’t pick one of those. I left the USB 2.0 controllers out of the equation and just put everything on the XHC controller which is as would be the case if this were really a MacBookPro 11,2. The advantage to using the injector, in theory, is that there aren’t any unconnected devices floating around on the controller as a software aberration.

3. Install OS X.

a. Plug in the Install USB and boot to the BIOS setup by pressing F2. Go to the boot menu and reorder the drives so that the USB drive is first (make sure the name is preceded by UEFI).
b. Wait for OS X to boot to the Language Chooser screen. In all likelihood the screen will boot garbled. All you need to do is close the lid to the laptop, wait a second and reopen it. Tada!
c. Install OS X to whatever drive you choose, making sure to reformat it to GUID, OS X Extended.
d. It takes a while, be patient…..
e. ****Until you have created a unique serial number and board ID, I would NOT log into any iCloud services or enter an Apple ID anywhere. Doing so may get your hardware or ID blocked.

4. Post Installation

a. Reboot off of the USB drive again, but when the Clover menu reappears, arrow over and select your OS X installation.
b. Download the latest version of Clover again and install it to your hard drive making the same selections as before.
c. Copy the provided CLOVER folder to the hard drive’s EFI partition.
d. Reacquire all of the needed kexts; however, this time use “kext wizard” or another kext installation tool to install them to /System/Library/Extensions/
e. Reboot, but this time go back into the BIOS setup and make sure that it is set for “UEFI Only” and look for an entry that says “UEFI OS” , that will be the Clover bootloader. If for some reason, all you see is the Windows Boot Manager, then do the following:
i. Reset the first boot entry to your install USB, and reboot back into your hard drive using the USB as your boot loader.
ii. Mount the EFI partition of your hard drive, NOT your usb stick.
iii. Copy the EFI/EFI/Windows folder to the Desktop of your hard drive and then delete only the Windows folder from your EFI partition, leaving Clover intact.
iv. Reboot back into BIOS setup, set the boot to “UEFI Only” and you should now see an entry called “UEFI OS”, set that to your number one boot entry and restart.
v. Once you have booted into your OS X installation, remount your HD EFI partition and copy the Windows folder back to /EFI/EFI/ alongside the CLOVER folder. Should be good to go from here on out, but double check that you can boot into both Windows and OS X.
f. If you feel like everything is operating as it should, then enjoy….BUT, if you want to be certain that there are no subtle little problems, you need to continue on and extract your own ACPI files and patch them. It’s good practice, at least, for the next device you want to hack.

5. Extract ACPI and disassemble

a. Extracting is simple, there are many methods, but you already have an easy way built in. Boot the laptop and when the Clover boot loader appears, simply press F4 a couple time.
b. Boot into OS X and mount your EFI partition.
c. Copy the DSDT and *all* SSDT files from /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/ to a folder on your desktop.
d. Download iasl from here:
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/acpica/downloads
e. extract the zip, copy the executable to the folder where your DSDT/SSDTs are located.
f. open a terminal window, cd to the folder where your DSDT/SSDTs are located and type - ./iasl -da -dl *.aml
g. Now delete everything from your folder that ends in .aml as well as all SSDTs that have an “x” in the name, those are the dynamic ones.
h. Download MaciASL from here:
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads

i. open up MaciASL, open the Preferences, and set the compiler to ACPI 5.0 and under Sources, add the following url to the source list - http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master
j. You’re now ready to start patching.

6. Patch your DSDT/SSDTs

IMO, it is best to do this in stages to ensure that mistakes aren’t made. It’s difficult to undo them and will have you starting over from scratch. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

a. First, we will correct the errors in the files and remove all DSM methods.

i. open up your folder with your unpatched ACPI files and double click DSDT.dsl, it should open in MaciASL. If you click compile now you will see it has some errors out of the box. Easily fixed.
1. Click on Patch, scroll down and apply the PARSEOP_ZERO fix, and then the ADBG Fix patches. Now your errors will be gone, but we are also going to apply the Remove all DSM Methods patch as well.
2. Make sure to save your DSDT and lets move on the the next.

ii. SSDT-0.dsl, there should be no errors, but we need to apply the Remove DSM methods patch

iii. SSDT-1.dsl, apply Remove DSM patch. There will be an error after this because there is an opening bracket under Scope (\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT2) and no closing bracket. Delete the scope (since it’s empty) Or add the bracket. Dealer’s choice.

iv. SSDT-2.dsl has no DSM methods to remove, but has a bunch of errors. apply the Remove PSS placeholder patch and you’re GTG.

v. SSDT-3.dsl and SSDT-7.dsl are fine as is.

vi. SSDT-8.dsl apply Remove DSM patch

vii. SSDT-9.dsl has an error at line 1081, this is due to the line directly above that erroneously has the variable ‘Arg0’ in the method. Simply delete this line.

viii. SSDT-10.dsl This one is a bit of a mess. Apply the Remove DSM patch once, select the patch again, but replace ‘_DSM’ with ‘HDSM’. Then go to the edit menu and select find, type DSM into the search bar. You’ll find 4 separate lines that reference ‘DSM’, go ahead and delete those lines. The last instance you’ll find is an ‘If” statement at the end — delete it, but be careful to keep the brackets right so you don’t cause an error.

At this point, it’s a good idea to set aside a copy of what you have so far so that if you need to go back and re-patch for some reason, you already have a set that is error free, but with nothing else applied.

b. Now it’s time patch what’s needed to get the laptop functioning.

i. DSDT — HPET Fix, IRQ Fix, OS Check Fix (Windows 8), RTC Fix, SMBUS Fix, USB_PRW(0x0D), Fix Mutex with non zero Sync level, Add IMEI, Rename B0D3 to HDAU, Rename GFX0 to IGPU, Apply the battery patch attached to the post — click compile, there will be two errors and they from two instances of B1FC that don’t get captured by the battery patch so you’ll have to manually edit the variables.****** - The battery patch has been revised, shouldn't have any issues. You can also add the Fn key patch for brightness adjustment, but it’s intermittently working on El Cap, Yosemite should be fine, tho.

ii. SSDT-0, SSDT-1, SSDT-3, SSDT-7 are done at this point.

iii. SSDT-8 — Brightness Fix (Haswell/Broadwell), Rename B0D3 to HDAU, Rename GFX0 to IGPU

iv. SSDT-9 — Disable from _INI (Uncomment the External call in the patch window—The _OFF method is located in SSDT-10), Rename GFX0 to IGPU.

v. SSDT-10 — Rename GFX0 to IGPU.

Now the last step is to finish disabling the discrete graphics card. The _OFF method is located in SSDT-10 and if you take a quick look at it, the method calls a method ‘SGOF’ which is located in SSDT-9. This method will prevent the OFF method from executing fully so we need to move that line back to the DSDT and replace the content of the _REG patch with it. So open up SSDT-9 and search for SGOF. The very first line under the method contains the H_EC call so cut it from the SGOF method. Next open up the DSDT and select the Disable from _REG patch. Now in the patch window, replace the content of the patch by pasting in the line you cut from SSDT-9.

Pat yourself on the back, all the heavy lifting is done. Now all you need to do is, one by one, save each of the files as ACPI Machine Language Binary and place them at /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

7. Power management

Download the Piker Alpha script from here: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

By default there is no entry for the Intel 4720HQ so make sure you have an internet connection and run the script once. It will fail but that’s ok. Navigate in a terminal window to ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data and open up Haskell.cfg in a text editor (emacs, vi, nano, etc.) and under the Haskell Mobile Socket FCBGA1364 section, add the following — i7-4720HQ,47,800,2600,3600,4,8

Run the script again and open the resulting SSDT.dsl with MaciASL and save as ACPI Machine Language to ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

8. iMessage, FaceTime.

Open up your config.plist in the latest version of Clover Configurator (version 4.24, I think) and go to the SMBIOS section.
Select the magic wand, click on the MacBook Pro picture, select MacBook Pro Retina 11,2 in the drop down, and then hit the shake buttons a ton of times to hopefully generate a serial number that is unique, formatted correctly, and not in use.

Now copy the serial number and go to: https://selfsolve.apple.com/
If the page tells you it can’t be found in their records, that’s good, it means that no one with a real mac is using that number but also that it is formatted correctly. If you get an error, try again with a different number. If a picture of a Macbook shows up and wants you to register —STOP. Go back and find a serial number not in use or your hardware and/or Apple ID are not long for this world….

Once you have a unique serial number, go back to the SMBIOS section of Clover Configurator and copy the serial number you just generated to the Board Serial Number section, then add 5 hex digits to the end of it (0-9, A-F)
Save everything, reboot, cross your fingers and try to log in to iMessage.

Demonstration Videos (In case you’re new to OSX86) - These vids have no sound and are unedited so they are a bit long. Skip around to the parts that you need to see.

Creating the installation USB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h4RDKUMZq4&feature=youtu.be

Extract ACPI files and fix errors / Remove DSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJwj4IF0Wos&feature=youtu.be

Apply the needed patches for the Gigabyte P35Xv3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKddsBkmjLE

Pike R Alpha’s Power management script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBxl4FokP3Q&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3 MB · Views: 349
  • brightnesspatch.txt
    191 bytes · Views: 307
  • P35Xv3-batterypatch.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Fantastic guide. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this detailed guide.
It helped me getting Yosemite running on my Gigabyte P35W v3 (with the only difference to your Laptop being the NVIDIA GTX 970m). The only part I changed, was the Post-Installation: I just copied over the CLOVER Folder from the USB Stick I booted from. I couldn't boot with the Kexts being installed to S/L/E with Kext-Wizard. Maybe I just made a mistake in the install process. But I don't really care right now. It boots, it works and it is amazing.
Internet for me is still via the LAN port, I have to see where I can get a decent WIFI Card to swap out for the original one here in Germany. I couldn't find the model you described here in Germany, maybe I have to order it from the U.S. or something.

Nevertheless, you just made my day, so thank you so much!

Thank you so much for this detailed guide.
It helped me getting Yosemite running on my Gigabyte P35W v3 (with the only difference to your Laptop being the NVIDIA GTX 970m). The only part I changed, was the Post-Installation: I just copied over the CLOVER Folder from the USB Stick I booted from. I couldn't boot with the Kexts being installed to S/L/E with Kext-Wizard. Maybe I just made a mistake in the install process. But I don't really care right now. It boots, it works and it is amazing.
Internet for me is still via the LAN port, I have to see where I can get a decent WIFI Card to swap out for the original one here in Germany. I couldn't find the model you described here in Germany, maybe I have to order it from the U.S. or something.

Nevertheless, you just made my day, so thank you so much!

Awesome! I'm glad it helped. These are really great laptops and they are even better dual booting OSX/Windows. :)

Thanks for the guide.
I installed El Capitan on a P37Xv3 and works great. :D. I guess there are no major differences between the two systems.
I used for the Installation media the manual way as the one in your post gets stuck if you try to install on a usb drive from VmWare.
I am still waiting for the Azurewave AW-CE123H card to come so I can have a WIFI connection for Internet. It is available from China on Aliexpress for 18£ -20£. The only downside is the delivery time which can take a few weeks, but it`s worth the waiting.

Thanks for the guide.
I installed El Capitan on a P37Xv3 and works great. :D. I guess there are no major differences between the two systems.
I used for the Installation media the manual way as the one in your post gets stuck if you try to install on a usb drive from VmWare.
I am still waiting for the Azurewave AW-CE123H card to come so I can have a WIFI connection for Internet. It is available from China on Aliexpress for 18£ -20£. The only downside is the delivery time which can take a few weeks, but it`s worth the waiting.

Hey that's great! I'm glad it helped you get up and running!

Hi there again.

Just received my WIFI card Azurewave AW-CE123H and fitted it. Now, something strange started happening since I have added it. Once the Mac Os starts booting, after the Clover selection menu, the screen goes black(it is a dimming effect) and I can`t see anything anymore.

Would you know or have any idea on what can cause that?

I was also thinking that it might be from the Intel HD video as it has that option to auto-adjust the brightness of the screen. Or maybe I am wrong.

Cheers,

Hi there again.

Just received my WIFI card Azurewave AW-CE123H and fitted it. Now, something strange started happening since I have added it. Once the Mac Os starts booting, after the Clover selection menu, the screen goes black(it is a dimming effect) and I can`t see anything anymore.

I was also thinking that it might be from the Intel HD video as it has that option to auto-adjust the brightness of the screen. Or maybe I am wrong.

Cheers,

According to your profile, you don't have Intel HD graphics. Is it accurate?

Hi. Sorry for misleading you. I have modified my specs. The video card I have is an integrated Intel HD 4600 + dedicated GTX 980m.

Cheers,

Hi there again.

Did you press your brightness up key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back