Contribute
Register

Guide: Gigabyte GA X79 UP4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My install boot ok! But no audio or network... Need to dig out again...

After a long long retries and searching the wen i finally managed to install 10.9...it is not perfect yet!
having many errors at loading, I'm using -v npci=0x3000 (which bring me up to the desktop) however the system running very slow...
the OS is on SSD EVO Pro (running test showing read/write more than 500) so i don't think it is a hardware issue, maybe kexts/drivers...
keep searching now...if anyone have a tip that could help please let me know!
Thanks

Hey, I'm having the same problem.

Cpu - 3930K i7 6 core
Mother - Ga-X79-UP4
Graphics - GTX 780
16 Corsair 1866 mhz ram (running on 1333)

also have to start with npci=0x2000 or it doesn't startup. Will try to change the bootloader text file on next boot.

My mac recognizes a 1.7 ghz cpu with 6 cores ?? its going real slow (like I'm on a pentium 4 or something)

It's watercooled with a H100i and indicates about 30C (led lights configured on windows)

Just installed the Kext and trying new Multibeast settings.

Answers anyone??:beachball:

Just a quickie guide here:

PC Specs:
Once done, shutdown the computer, remove the USB flashdrive, power up the PC and boot on the SSD.

Hi, I'm using the i7 4820k, x79 up4 f5 mobo and EVGA Geforce 760. I booted into installation with "-v cpus=1 npci=0x2000", but installer was very slow and I also experienced choppy mouse.

The only problem after installing is the slow/glitch thing again in Mavericks. Also my hackintosh has the wrong CPU information in "About This Mac". It shows that I am using the "Intel Xeon 4.3GHz Quad Core Processor". I was wondering if you experienced similar problems before? Thanks a bunch!

Thanks OP for the guide. It got me through the process of installing, and now I'm trying to get it running well. My system:

GA-X79-UP4
Intel Core i7-4960X
GeForce GTX 760
32GB 1600MHz DDR3

Mavericks install was on a Samsung MZ-7TE500BW 500GB SSD and I have a 2TB storage drive. Everything is off the March Buyer's guide for CustoMac Pro Socket 2011.

I followed the guide step-by-step, including the same options in Multibeast. I also copied FileNVRAM.dylib and made the boot changes reported in egotrippin's post above. The USB boot up was very long, somewhere on the order of 10-15 minutes, and the mouse/video animations were choppy during install.

The system will reliably boot without options now, but like many others I'm experiencing choppy mouse and animations booting off the SSD. It's not that the whole system is running slowly, because things that don't animate happen instantly. Everything else is a slow process where I can see the animation happen almost step-by-step.

I've read through pages and pages of this problem. Many of them are the same person reporting their problem on multiple threads :) I found the one suggesting AutoCAD 2013 could somehow fix it, but it didn't for me. I don't want to go too far down the path of trying random fixes because I might mess things up worse than they are.

My biggest problem is not knowing how to troubleshoot. First instinct is video, but the system reports the right card so I'm assuming those drivers are good. RAM also seems to be fine and memory sticks are in the right slots (I also tried 2 sticks--no luck). I can't imagine it's the SSD that's slow, although start up and shutdown times are much slower than I expected on SSD. EDIT: The clock also runs slowly, possibly pointing at a culprit. I auto set it at least 3 times last night, and this morning it's 9 minutes slow!

Another data point: in my first failed install, which I wound up reformatting, I initially had choppy performance but then it was magically normal. Then I proceeded to bork the system so I don't know what (if anything) I did to make it smooth the first time.

Can anyone shed some light on this and help me get a good build? Thanks.

I've been working this off and all day without success. I've tried changing the type of SATA kext from IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector to 3rd Party SATA and then to neither (by renaming the kexts to kext.old).

I've tried sudo chown root:admin /

I've checked my BIOS. On the clock frequency for the CPU it had 36 resulting in 3.6GHz; I changed that to 40 but not sure if I really needed to. Also VT-d was already disabled but I disabled virtualization altogether.

I disabled the internal graphics adapter in the boot plist since I have none.

It seems everyone says it's cosmetic only, but System Info reports my CPU at 36.00 GHz (!) My bus speed is reported at 3.6GHz. My Geekbench 3.0 tryout score is something like 32000. When I clicked the link to compare with other similar systems, the graph showed the others down in the 3,000 range with near 4 GHz of speed. My two runs were in the upper right corner by themselves in the 32,000 range with 36 GHz (I'm afraid I've made the Geekbench chart less useful).

I'm thinking this might actually be at the core of my problem. If something is messed up to convince Geekbench the CPU is 10x better than it should be, the clock loses time at an alarming rate, etc, it seems like a critical timing error somewhere is causing parts of the OS to seem or operate faster while others languish. Does that make sense?

Also, completely cosmetic, but without changing system definitions my picture went from the old tower case to the new trashcan Mac Pro case. Weird.

Here's hoping someone reads this soon and helps me get a working system. If I don't hear anything in a few days I'll probably unplug and replug everything on the motherboard and start from scratch.

Ok I think I might have found it and wish it had been hours ago. I don't remember exactly how this went, but at some point my computer started offering a UEFI boot to my SSD and a legacy boot. Either automatically or through my selection, UEFI was the default. I was getting ready to boot into the USB when I decided to try the non-UEFI SSd. Worked like a champ! The processor speed is 4.8GHz (still too high, but not 8 times too high).

I'll keep an eye on the clock to see if that gets better.

Now I'm off to my next tasks: enabling the add-on Ethernet card and the Blackmagic Decklink Duo.

EDIT: First I have to make it automatically choose P1 instead of UEFI. If I manually choose it, everything works great. However, including P1: SSD as the only boot option in BIOS Features still boots the other way and results in super slow performance and weird CPU speed. What the heck, over?

It's because of the Chimera/Chameleon bootloaders which, unlike Clover, are non-UEFi bootloaders. So, for now, stick with the Px disk boot option in the BIOS.

Yes, unfortunately, as you can now see in my post dedicated to the topic, I'm unable to find the correct BIOS setting to make it boot to P0: (I switched the cables) without pressing F12. Even with UEFI disabled in the BIOS, an auto boot will go to UEFI/slow mode.

My system is stable EXCEPT for sound... well, actually, I can't seem to keep a youtube video playing in Safari (with no audio of course). Chrome allows videos to play and iTunes won't advance a song... so I'm thinking that it is an AUDIO issue. the ALC 892 plays fine in Win7. I did have sound showing in System Preferences, but after trying a few kexts, I've lost it again...

Tell me what is wrong:

1. Deleted S\L\E\HDAEnabler1.kext
2. Installed HDAEnabler892.kext
3. installed AppleHDA.kext via MultiBeast 5.3.1

No sound...

put back S\L\E\HDAEnabler1.kext
deleted S\L\E\HDAEnabler892.kext

still no sound...

HELP!!!

Did you ever get sound to work? I had mine working before and can't seem to get it this time. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back