Contribute
Register

Guide: Gigabyte GA X79 UP4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply man

ended up figuring out the audio myself, just had to look up my audio info on the windows boot

also found out running "cpus=1" told my computer 1 cpu, just took that out and it recognized all 6 cores (12 threads).

Im still having issues with the boot, I still have to enter "npci=0x2000" as an argument. Im assuming there is somewhere else I can put this in other than on my boot screen and itll fix this issue? I'm a techy guy, I'm just learning most of this stuff day by day right now, boot plist? I feel like an idiot for not knowing where i find that.

Another thing i noticed is my processor pops up as "3.5ghz Unknown" or something similar (not at hackintosh now, its at work). I have my processor overclocked to 3.8ghz, is this why this is happening? or something else?

This was my first ever hackintosh attempt, as I said before on a 1tb 5400rpm drive. I ordered an ssd today should be here friday and I will go for try two.

i added the entry in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. look for

<string>darkwake=0</string>

i changed mine to
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>

i don't have mine OC'd but it does show 3.5GHz unknown. if you do "more info", it should recognize the cpu properly there. this is my first successful hackintosh. i've tried in the past and always got a kernel panic, then i gave up. looks like the tools and guides are getting better and better. and the community larger.

other things i've tried are:

- install ML on raid0. it won't work with this guide. you'll have to use a different method. i found something but i didn't want to go through the hassle. maybe when i get more used to the hackintosh world.

- after a full install of hackintosh, i tried to restore using a time machine backup before i started to mess with the hackintosh. i was able to restore, but it would only recognize 1 core of the cpu no matter what i did. also, my ssd felt like a regular hdd. i reinstalled using multibeast but it didn't help. so i did another full install but this time no restore from time machine. i just copied the files over and did a new time machine back up.

these past 2 days i've been moving in the hackintosh. so far it's been stable. i have some games from steam installed and SC2 that'll i'll get into in a few days. i'm still looking for some videos to transcode and encode. i'm sure it'll run fine.

let me know if i can be more help.

i added the entry in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. look for

<string>darkwake=0</string>

i changed mine to
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>

This worked perfect! thanks man

I have the following build.

GA X79 UP4 Mobo F4 Bios
HIS ICEQ AMD RADEON HD 7870 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0
16 GB RAm GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1886 RIPJAWS-X MEMORY
Corsair 128 GB FORCE SSD

I have followed this Guide with Bios Setup and switches.
I boot to the apple logo with No spinner. If I use -v in the switches I just get a black screen.

Any thoughts on why the installer is stuck? Is there a switch for a file log?

Thanks to the OP for this guide, it pointed me in the right direction.

I used this guide to install 10.8.5 and then upgraded yesterday to 10.9 successfully. When I tried to install 10.9 from within Mountain Lion it instructed me to restart to complete the upgrade and upon restart it brought me back into Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so I made a new bootable USB stick with Unibeast and booted from USB using the parameters mentioned at the beginning of this guide . The installer gave me the option to repair my existing install with and when that completed, after rebooting to my boot drive, the 10.9 install completed.

I'm using Gigabyte X79-UP4 v1 with a 3930k, GTX 690, and Vertex 3 Max IOPS. I used bios F4 and beta F5b. Bios settings were all Optimized Default EXCEPT I set my CPU Multiplier and all Turbo Boost cores to 40 (I hear some people can go to 44 before needing to manually up the voltage, I've done higher but I require a voltage bump if I go much past 40). I also forced pcie 3.0 in the Misc bios settings although I doubt this will make any difference. After toying around I ended up using the following Multibeast parameters:

DSDT Free

Audio: Without DSDT ALC892
Disk: 3rd Party SATA, Trim Enabler 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Misc: EvOreboot, FakeSMC v5.3.820, NullCPUPowerManagement
Network: Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
System: AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset (automatically selected)

Bootloaders: Chimera v2.2.1

Customize

Boot Options: Generate CPU States, Hibernate Mode - Desktop, Instant Menu (personal preference) , PCI Root ID Fix, Use KernelCache, 1080p Display Mode (I later edited this 2560x1440 which was a supported vesa resolution for my GPU and monitor...if you don't know what's supported, at the Chimera boot screen push the down arrow button while highlighting your OSX install and you can find all the supported vesa resolutions in there)

System Definitions: Mac Pro 5, 1

Themes: tonymacx86 remixed (changed this later)

Post Multibeast:

Saved VoodooTSCSync.kext to my desktop and installed by running KextBeast (no need to edit the file, it is set for 6 cores/12 threads by default)
Saved FileNVRAM.dylib to \Extra\Modules (This fixed my iMessages logon issue)
(Google search will quickly find both of these files)

I booted with -f the first time after everything was complete and after that it's booted perfectly with the following org.chameleon.Boot.plist in \Extra

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Instant Menu</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>”2560x1440x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After all of this, everything works as far as I can tell. If you're using onboard audio, select the "Internal Speakers Built In" option in System Preferences > Sound. I'm happy that this works after reading the troubles others had although I'm using an Audioengine D1 USB DAC that works perfectly without kexts or software.

I don't know if Sleep, Hibernate, or any other Power Saving mode works because I don't use them. Setting a hot corner for putting my display to sleep is enough for me.

Hope this helps

Hi:

I really appreciate all these posts and have tried with no success to get to the installer. I have the following GA X79 UP4 Mobo F4 Bios and a HIS ICEQ AMD RADEON HD 7870 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0. I am wondering whether I need to change the video card or just add an alternate PCI card to get to the installer. With my current build I just get a Apple logo with no spinner or with -v I get a black screen and it just stops when using the guide. Any thoughts anyone has to get to the installer would be appreciated. Thanks for your posts.

I got the same issue as cmarvel...im using the GTX760...tried many boot strings nothing helped...
what is your bios settings?

Thanks to the OP for this guide, it pointed me in the right direction.

I used this guide to install 10.8.5 and then upgraded yesterday to 10.9 successfully. When I tried to install 10.9 from within Mountain Lion it instructed me to restart to complete the upgrade and upon restart it brought me back into Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so I made a new bootable USB stick with Unibeast and booted from USB using the parameters mentioned at the beginning of this guide . The installer gave me the option to repair my existing install with and when that completed, after rebooting to my boot drive, the 10.9 install completed.

I'm using Gigabyte X79-UP4 v1 with a 3930k, GTX 690, and Vertex 3 Max IOPS. I used bios F4 and beta F5b. Bios settings were all Optimized Default EXCEPT I set my CPU Multiplier and all Turbo Boost cores to 40 (I hear some people can go to 44 before needing to manually up the voltage, I've done higher but I require a voltage bump if I go much past 40). I also forced pcie 3.0 in the Misc bios settings although I doubt this will make any difference. After toying around I ended up using the following Multibeast parameters:

DSDT Free

Audio: Without DSDT ALC892
Disk: 3rd Party SATA, Trim Enabler 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Misc: EvOreboot, FakeSMC v5.3.820, NullCPUPowerManagement
Network: Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
System: AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset (automatically selected)

Bootloaders: Chimera v2.2.1

Customize

Boot Options: Generate CPU States, Hibernate Mode - Desktop, Instant Menu (personal preference) , PCI Root ID Fix, Use KernelCache, 1080p Display Mode (I later edited this 2560x1440 which was a supported vesa resolution for my GPU and monitor...if you don't know what's supported, at the Chimera boot screen push the down arrow button while highlighting your OSX install and you can find all the supported vesa resolutions in there)

System Definitions: Mac Pro 5, 1

Themes: tonymacx86 remixed (changed this later)

Post Multibeast:

Saved VoodooTSCSync.kext to my desktop and installed by running KextBeast (no need to edit the file, it is set for 6 cores/12 threads by default)
Saved FileNVRAM.dylib to \Extra\Modules (This fixed my iMessages logon issue)
(Google search will quickly find both of these files)

I booted with -f the first time after everything was complete and after that it's booted perfectly with the following org.chameleon.Boot.plist in \Extra

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Instant Menu</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>”2560x1440x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After all of this, everything works as far as I can tell. If you're using onboard audio, select the "Internal Speakers Built In" option in System Preferences > Sound. I'm happy that this works after reading the troubles others had although I'm using an Audioengine D1 USB DAC that works perfectly without kexts or software.

I don't know if Sleep, Hibernate, or any other Power Saving mode works because I don't use them. Setting a hot corner for putting my display to sleep is enough for me.

Hope this helps

what is your bios settings?
I'm always getting black screen
I can't get to the installer...have you tried to install 10.9 directly?

Hi:

I really appreciate all these posts and have tried with no success to get to the installer. I have the following GA X79 UP4 Mobo F4 Bios and a HIS ICEQ AMD RADEON HD 7870 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0. I am wondering whether I need to change the video card or just add an alternate PCI card to get to the installer. With my current build I just get a Apple logo with no spinner or with -v I get a black screen and it just stops when using the guide. Any thoughts anyone has to get to the installer would be appreciated. Thanks for your posts.

which cpu you have?

After a long long retries and searching the wen i finally managed to install 10.9...it is not perfect yet!
having many errors at loading, I'm using -v npci=0x3000 (which bring me up to the desktop) however the system running very slow...
the OS is on SSD EVO Pro (running test showing read/write more than 500) so i don't think it is a hardware issue, maybe kexts/drivers...
keep searching now...if anyone have a tip that could help please let me know!
Thanks

Hi egotrippin, cant write you a message (need 50 posts first)...

Which mach_kernel have you used?
the original from the image?
I heard Ive B cpu's need a patched mach_kernel...have you used that?
If you set your BIOS to default how you were able to boot UEFI disk?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back