CPU: i7 3930k @4ghz
RAM: 8x 8gb DDR3 1600
GPU: 3x GTX 680 @stock
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120gb @5.05 fw
LED: Samsung S27A950D @120hz

Requirements
- A working Mountain Lion compatible computer
- 16gb USB flashdrive
- Apple Store Purchased Mountain Lion (I got a 10.8.3)

Downloaded the ff latest apps:
- UniBeast Mountain Lion
- Multibeast Mountain Lion
- Kext Helper
- VoodooTSCSync.kext for Mountain Lion

and lastly... patience

Step 1: Preparing USB OSX Installer
Follow the instructions on creating a Unibeast on a working OSX setup
Link: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Step 2: OSX Installation proper
At the part of booting the OSX installer on the USB drive onto the Gigabyte motherboard use these parameters:
UseKextCache=Yes npci=0x3000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -f

Step 3: Post OSX installation
Following back the instructions on the actual installation on the link on step 1, install OSX. After installation and upon reboot, boot back on the USB and choose the SSD where OSX was installed with the same parameters that was used on Step 2.

Once on the OSX desktop, install VoodooTSCSync.kext using Kext Helper

Run Multibeast. Choose EasyBeast Installation. Select also the ff:
Disk : IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector ; 10.8.3 TRIM Patch
Miscellaneous : ElliottForceLegacyRTC ; EvOreboot ; FakeSMC v5.1.61 ; NullCPUPowerManagement
Network : Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000
Bootloaders : Chimera v2.0.1 r2109
Boot Options : GraphicsEnabler=No ; PCI Configuration Fix ; Use KernelCache ; 1080p Display
System Definitions : Mac Pro 5,1

Once done, shutdown the computer, remove the USB flashdrive, power up the PC and boot on the SSD.

3 Way SLI 680's… what a beastly machine man. What size of PSU are you using for that? I am waiting for my new power supply to get here tomorrow and I am going to start my build with the same mobo and processor, and then a 770. I wanted to ask about your audio issue. I have been reading about this build recently and apparently a lot of people just follow the build for the GA-X79-UD5 and have had good results. Have you taken a look at this build by chance? http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ram-5-x-512gb-ssds-audio-sleep-working-2.html

I was just curious if you think following the same steps that he did for the audio would get yours working to?

Thanks for the time you put into this guide by the way, I really appreciate it, and i'm sure many other people do as well.

@Kudagra: I am using a Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 PSU. I am running these GPUs as well as the CPU on a custom water cooling setup. Everything's been stable even under heavy Windows gaming.

@RIP: I believe USB speakers are multi-platform aware, so definitely no issues with using that.

@StephenJames: I hope you are able to pinpoint the problem with the stability of your rig.

I can never get Unibeast to work. No matter what arguments I use I can not get the installer to load. Every time it will stop and display the dark overlay on the Apple logo screen that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button blah blah blah..."

Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UP4
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB

I have had this machine running Mac OS X Mountain Lion for the past several months. A couple of days ago it just decided it did not want to boot anymore. I have been trying to get it working again ever since.

It will load fine with "Another Installation Method" but will not allow me to restore the system via my Time Machine backup, and I don't remember what kexts I installed when I built this computer to get it working.

thanks for the guide. i got things up and running. no audio though and the big issue is i have to keep typing in

if i don't it just crashes. not sure what i need to do. any advice?

never mind, it's working now. i got it on 10.8.5 with network and sound working. had to mess with it a little more but i found the error tied to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. i had to add npci=0x2000. for my config, this is mandatory or it will not boot. also, if i use 0x3000 my network won't work.

thanks again for the guide. hope it will continue to be stable.

never mind, it's working now. i got it on 10.8.5 with network and sound working. had to mess with it a little more but i found the error tied to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. i had to add npci=0x2000. for my config, this is mandatory or it will not boot. also, if i use 0x3000 my network won't work.

thanks again for the guide. hope it will continue to be stable.

How did you get audio to work?

I just got my setup going and the 0x2000 fixed my network issue too.

thanks for the guide. i got things up and running. no audio though and the big issue is i have to keep typing in

if i don't it just crashes. not sure what i need to do. any advice?

I am also having this issue and changing npci=0x2000 fixed my network but not my boot issues. I still have to input the boot arguments or else it just goes black screen. Help?

setup:

3930k 3.2 (overclocked to 3.5 right now, does this matter? osx doesnt recognize my processor for some reason)
20gb RAM
gtx 660ti 2gb
test booting on a 1tb blue caviar
and obviously x79-UP4

I am also having this issue and changing npci=0x2000 fixed my network but not my boot issues. I still have to input the boot arguments or else it just goes black screen. Help?

setup:

3930k 3.2 (overclocked to 3.5 right now, does this matter? osx doesnt recognize my processor for some reason)
20gb RAM
gtx 660ti 2gb
test booting on a 1tb blue caviar
and obviously x79-UP4

did you do the VoodooTSCSync.kext part. coz that has something to do with hyperthreading and multiple core CPU. after i did that, i entered the npci=0x2000 in the boot plist file and it booted fine. activity monitor also has measures multiple core activity.

as for the audio on 10.8.5, i use multibeast 5.5.3. then used the following
Drivers & Bootloaders
- Drivers
-- Audio
---Realtek ALC8xx
---- Without DSDT
----- ALC892

you may get pop up errors of hda.... files and voodoo... files. if so, just repair permissions in disk utility. not disk utility within OSX but using the disk utility from the USB created by unibeast. everything seems to work so far. i have yet to do anything to stress the hardware like video encoding or gaming. that's coming soon. i'm also using 660TI and it recognizes it. i set the bios to default settings. i forgot to set my ram to profile 1 so my ram speed was set at 1333. once i set it to profile 1 in the bios, it detected it correctly at 1866mhz.

did you do the VoodooTSCSync.kext part. coz that has something to do with hyperthreading and multiple core CPU. after i did that, i entered the npci=0x2000 in the boot plist file and it booted fine. activity monitor also has measures multiple core activity.

as for the audio on 10.8.5, i use multibeast 5.5.3. then used the following
Drivers & Bootloaders
- Drivers
-- Audio
---Realtek ALC8xx
---- Without DSDT
----- ALC892

you may get pop up errors of hda.... files and voodoo... files. if so, just repair permissions in disk utility. not disk utility within OSX but using the disk utility from the USB created by unibeast. everything seems to work so far. i have yet to do anything to stress the hardware like video encoding or gaming. that's coming soon. i'm also using 660TI and it recognizes it. i set the bios to default settings. i forgot to set my ram to profile 1 so my ram speed was set at 1333. once i set it to profile 1 in the bios, it detected it correctly at 1866mhz.

Thanks for the reply man

ended up figuring out the audio myself, just had to look up my audio info on the windows boot

also found out running "cpus=1" told my computer 1 cpu, just took that out and it recognized all 6 cores (12 threads).

Im still having issues with the boot, I still have to enter "npci=0x2000" as an argument. Im assuming there is somewhere else I can put this in other than on my boot screen and itll fix this issue? I'm a techy guy, I'm just learning most of this stuff day by day right now, boot plist? I feel like an idiot for not knowing where i find that.

Another thing i noticed is my processor pops up as "3.5ghz Unknown" or something similar (not at hackintosh now, its at work). I have my processor overclocked to 3.8ghz, is this why this is happening? or something else?

This was my first ever hackintosh attempt, as I said before on a 1tb 5400rpm drive. I ordered an ssd today should be here friday and I will go for try two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back