[Guide] Gigabyte BRIX using Clover UEFI (GB-BXi5H-4200/GB-BXi5-4570R/GB-BXi7-4770R)

Discussion in 'High Sierra Desktop Guides' started by RehabMan, Sep 28, 2017.

1. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Sep 28, 2017 at 7:19 PM #1
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Overview

The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to installing High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or Yosemite on the Haswell Gigabyte BRIX-s. My BRIX is the GB-BXi5H-4200, although I expect the guide will work on other similar models.

Note: This guide is confirmed working with the BRIX Pro GB-BXi5-4570R. Similarly confirmed for the BRIX Pro GB-BXi7-4770R.

Note: This guide will also work with Mavericks (maybe ML 10.8.5), although that is not my primary testing target.

I have added an SSD, and replaced the WiFi with Broadcom BCM94352HMB.

Original Yosemite guide thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...brix-s-using-clover-uefi-gb-bxi5h-4200-a.html

What you need

- Haswell Gigabyte BRIX
    - macOS or OS X downloaded from the Mac App Store
    - 8GB USB stick
    - (optional) Broadcom BCM94352 for native WiFi/BT

Note: You could use a different (supported) WiFi card, but the BCM94352 is the one recommended and supported by this guide.

BIOS settings

The boot menu and BIOS setup can be accessed by mashing the F12 key during BIOS startup.

To start, "Restore Defaults" from the "Save & Exit" tab.

Then change:
    - CFG Lock: Disabled (Advanced->CPU Configuratioin)
    - Secure Boot Control: Disabled (Security)

Preparing USB and initial Installation

This guide assumes you're starting with nothing on your HDD/SSD (or nothing important). Make sure you backup your important files before starting.

You can also leave Windows intact, but it can get tricky. Read here for more information: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

This guide for creating USB and installing using Clover UEFI works well: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Special notes:

- This guide requires Clover v3279 or later.

- Definitely copy RealtekRTL8111.kext to Clover/kexts/Other as having network support during post-install is helpful. The rest of this guide depends on it. An alternate is to copy FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext to Clover/kexts/Other. This will enable WiFi, provided you have the BCM94352HMB WiFi card already installed.

Note: FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext are available here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID

- GenericUSBXHCI.kext is not necessary with the BRIX since AppleUSBXCHI.kext appears to work well natively. GenericUSBXHCI.kext also does not work on 10.11, so definitely do not use it.

- You do not need VoodooPS2Controller.kext as it is laptop specific.

- Use the 'createinstallmedia' approach. It works well, and there is little chance for pilot error. This method also gives you an OS X recovery partition.

- Use the config_install.plist linked by this post instead of the laptop specific config.plist files linked by the guide. Make sure you copy it to EFI/Clover/config.plist (after installing Clover). Clover will not read a file named config_install.plist.

For installation, config_install.plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/Gigabyte-BRIX-s-DSDT-Patch/raw/master/config_install.plist

Post Installation

Install Clover UEFI as described in the guide linked by the previous section (post #2). After installing Clover, and configuring it correctly (config.plist, kexts, HFSPlus.efi, etc) you should be able to boot from the HDD/SSD.

Most everything works, but there are a few things to tidy up, drivers to install, etc. For that, we need to patch ACPI, provide a proper config.plist, and install the kexts that are required.

Since you have RealtekRTL8111.kext already injected by Clover, you should have internet access simply by using an Ethernet cable to your router. Plug it in and make sure you have internet access before continuing. Or if you're using FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, you can connect to your WiFi router before continuing.

Installation of the tools and patching is easy provided the scripts and tools at the repository: https://github.com/RehabMan/Gigabyte-BRIX-s-DSDT-Patch

To start, the developer tools must be installed. Run Terminal, and type:

Code (Text):

git

You will be prompted to install the developer tools. Since you have internet working, you can choose to have it download and install them automatically. Do that before continuing.

After the developer tools are installed, we need to make a copy of the project on github.

In Terminal:
    Code (Text):

mkdir ~/Projects
    cd ~/Projects
    git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Gigabyte-BRIX-s-DSDT-Patch brix.git

Now it is time to install some more tools and all the kexts that are required...

In Terminal:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    ./download.sh
    ./install_downloads.sh

The download.sh script will automatically gather the latest version of all tools (patchmatic, iasl, MaciASL) and all the kexts from bitbucket. The install_downloads.sh will automatically install them to the proper locations.

To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched DSDT/SSDT.

In Terminal:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    make
    make install

The 'make' causes the patched files to be compiled (with iasl), the results placed in ./build.

Finally, 'make install', mounts the EFI partition, and copies the built files where they can be loaded by Clover (to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched).

Note: No actual patching of DSDT/SSDT is happening here. We are simply building an SSDT (SSDT-HACK.aml) which provides the necessary changes. This is becuase the BRIX requires only minimal patching so a full patched DSDT is not needed.

Power Management

Everything required for CPU/IGPU power management is already installed with the steps above.
    There is no longer any need to use the ssdtPRgen.sh script.

Also, be aware that hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not supported on hackintosh.

You should disable it:
    Code (Text):

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
    sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

Always check your hibernatemode after updates and disable it. System updates tend to re-enable it, although the trick above (making sleepimage a directory) tends to help.

Final config.plist

Up to now, you've been using the same config.plist we were using for installation. After all the APCI files are in place (previous two steps), you're ready to use the final config.plist from the BRIX repo.

First, mount the EFI partition:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    ./mount_efi.sh

Then copy the file:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    cp config.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

You could also copy the file using Finder.

After copying the config.plist from the repo to EFI/Clover/config.plist, you should customize the SMBIOS so you have a unique serial. You can use Clover Configurator to do this (use google to find/download it). DO NOT use Clover Configurator to edit your actual config.plist. Instead edit a "dummy" config.plist to create the SMBIOS data and then use copy/paste with a plist editor (I use Xcode) to copy the SMBIOS section into my active config.plist. Clover Configurator is too buggy and cannot be trusted with edits to your real config.plist.

Note: The config.plist in the repo is using iMac14,1. It works. In theory, it would be possible to use another Haswell SMBIOS like Macmini7,1, but it is not directly supported by Clover (SMC data is missing), nor Clover Configurator (it is not an option in the SMBIOS wizard).

Do not stop reading

Although most of the post-install tasks are done, continue to read this guide. It it has important information you should know about.

Be sure to visit "Known Problems", especially the instructions in the "Audio:" section. Typically, even after completing all the above tasks, audio will not work on the first reboot. You must follow the specific instructions in that section in order to get the audio kexts in cache.

In the case of a problem, don't bother asking about with without all files requested in "Problem Reporting".

WiFi using BCM94352HMB

The ./download.sh and ./install_downloads.sh script have both been updated to install the necessary kexts for BCM94352HMB. The config.plist contains the patches required for WiFi 5Ghz and Bluetooth handoff features. The patch in config.plist for 5GHz is the US/FCC patch by the-darkvoid. If you're not in the US, you might consider a different patch. Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Updates to the patch repositories

From time to time, updates may become available to the BRIX repository. In the event of such updates, you may want to update your copies, and re-patch ACPI with the updates.

Since you're using git, it is easy...

In Terminal:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    git pull

Then you can follow the instructions for updating config.plist or using 'make install' to copy the updated SSDT-HACK.aml.

Updates to kexts may happen at any time. You can download and install the latest versions manually (by going to their respective release sites), or by using ./download.sh, and ./install_downloads.sh.

What works

I have tested the following features:
    - UEFI booting via Clover
    - HDMI video/audio with hotplug
    - AirPlay mirroring to AppleTV
    - native WiFi via BCM94352HMB
    - Bluetooth (with handoff) using BCM94352HMB
    - native USB3/USB2 with AppleUSBXHCI/AppleUSBEHCI
    - native audio with AppleHDA (using injector for easy updates) [see below, "Known Problems"]
    - native power management
    - accelerated graphics for HD4400 including OpenCL
    - wired Ethernet
    - Mac App Store working
    - Messages/FaceTime (working on 10.10.3 even though I didn't run through the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html)

Not tested/not working

The following features have issues, or have not been tested:
    - did not test optical audio out
    - have not tested audio headphones lately (my unit now has broken audio, even on Windows)
    - there may be an issue with audio being single channel only

Known Problems

Find My Mac/Locking: Find My Mac does not work properly. Don't lock your mac because it's difficult (or impossible) to unlock again.

Slow WiFi after sleep/wake cycle: Disable "Wake for network access" in SysPrefs->Energy Saver.

Audio: After installing new/updated kexts or after the initial installation, you may lose audio.

To fix:
    - reboot without caches (hit space at Clover, select without caches)
    - rebuild cache
    Code (Text):

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

- reboot normally (if needed, two times)

Audio: Headphones may be only single channel. I'm not really certain, as with my unit, audio failed not long after I received it (tested on Windows 7 and Windows 10). At the beginning there was only one channel (OS X, Windows not tested at that point), but eventually it failed completely. Whether the single channel audio problem is software or was a sign that the device was starting to fail, I don't really know.

If you have working audio, but only one channel, please respond as there are fixes that can be investigated.

CPU Frequency: Clover identifies the CPU speed (as shown in "About this Mac") incorrectly. On my system (1.8Ghz Core i7-4500u), it shows 2.39Ghz. This appears to be cosmetic. You can fix it by overriding Clover logic with config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz. You will see how my setting is commented in the config.plist. Set it as appropriate for your own CPU.

5Ghz WiFi: If you don't see 5Ghz networks on WiFi, force a cache rebuild. You can use Kext Wizard or DPCIManager or in Terminal:
    Code (Text):

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then restart.

Other post-install tasks

Bluetooth: If you get the Bluetooth Setup Assistant popup, go to SysPrefs->Bluetooth->Advanced, uncheck the boxes.

Major updates

For example... 10.10 to 10.11.

First step should be to update to the latest repository.

To do so:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    git stash
    git pull
    make
    make install
    ./download.sh
    ./install_downloads.sh

Also update Clover to the latest using the Clover installer. Be sure to fix EFI/Clover/kexts, so that only EFI/Clover/kexts/Other is existing. All version specific directories under EFI/Clover/kexts should be removed.

Also update config.plist at EFI/Clover/config.plist to the latest content from the repo. Be sure to retain your own SMBIOS data at config.plist/SMBIOS.

Now you can update via the App Store. Just boot the installer/updater upon restart.

After updating, run ./install_downloads.sh again:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    ./install_downloads.sh

Mavericks compatibility

This guide will also work with Mavericks.

Here are some notes/exceptions regarding Mavericks:
    - not much testing with Mavericks
    - FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext is installed on Mavericks even though it is not needed (doesn't seem to do any harm)
    - AppleHDA_ALC269.kext must be regenerated for Mavericks

The AppleHDA_ALC269.kext injector checked into the project is for the current version of El Capitan.

To regenerate it under Yosemite/Mavericks:
    Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/brix.git
    rm -Rf AppleHDA_ALC269.kext
    make AppleHDA_ALC269.kext
    make install_hda

That will generate AppleHDA_ALC269.kext in the brix.git project directory and install it to /S/L/E. You can also install it with ./install_downloads.sh or with Kext Wizard if you wish.

Note: I've never tested it, but the guide will likely work for Mountain Lion 10.8.5 as well.

Problem reporting

Other problem reports should be accompanied by various files that allow your progress to be accounted for...

In terminal,
    Code (Text):

rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
    mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
    cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
    patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
    Code (Text):

kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
    kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
    kextstat|grep -y applelpc
    kextstat|grep -y applehda
    kextstat|grep -y applehda
    ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/*.zml.zlib

Also, press F4 at the main Clover screen, then compress and post the EFI/CLOVER folder in use. And please, in order to reduce the size, omit EFI/Clover/themes... especially if you have an overabundance of themes installed.

Also post output of:
    Code (Text):

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

M0KUJINKEN likes this.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. M0KUJINKEN

M0KUJINKEN

Mobo:
    ProBook 4530s
    CPU:
    i3
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000 512MB
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 22, 2017 at 5:42 AM #2
    M0KUJINKEN

M0KUJINKEN

Mobo:
    ProBook 4530s
    CPU:
    i3
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000 512MB
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    shut down work half of the time. the power button blue led still lit after macOS shut down, can hear the cpu fan accelerate. 10 minutes later BRIX Pro still hasn't power off. everything else work flawlessly; GB-BXi7-4770R.

btw how come hwmonitor doesn't have cpu temp?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM #3
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

4. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM #4
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    You did not follow the guide.
    Read post #1.

5. M0KUJINKEN

M0KUJINKEN

Mobo:
    ProBook 4530s
    CPU:
    i3
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000 512MB
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 26, 2017 at 10:26 PM #5
    M0KUJINKEN

M0KUJINKEN

Mobo:
    ProBook 4530s
    CPU:
    i3
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000 512MB
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    I tried to follow the instruction closely but;
    - no audio
    - still shut down only work half of the time

Attached Files:

6. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM #6
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Your config.plist is wrong. Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

And please, in the future, read post #1, "Problem Reporting" carefully. Your report is missing data (kextcache missing), and EFI was not requested (only EFI/Clover was requested, which will be much smaller than the entire EFI folder).

7. RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Nov 1, 2017 at 7:25 PM #7
    RehabMan

RehabMan Moderator

Mobo:
    Intel DH67BL
    CPU:
    Core i7-2600K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 3000
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Old information. The guide no longer uses ssdtPRgen.sh, so no need to worry about that.
    Fixed post #1.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete/wrong.
    Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
    https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/