Contribute
Register

[Guide] Gigabyte BRIX using Clover UEFI (GB-BXi5H-4200/GB-BXi5-4570R/GB-BXi7-4770R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Guide] Gigabyte BRIX-s using Clover UEFI (GB-BXi5H-4200)

Please post ioreg. The port address assignments don't make sense for that XHC device-id.

They also don't match your IOACPIPlane. I suspect USB3 devices will not work at USB3 speeds with that configuration.

My original configuration is correct, I think...

You're probably right. I'm at a total loss trying to make sense of the information in IORegistryExplorer. I have been since this El Capitan USB issue started.

Initially, I figured the USB3 were using ports 0F, 10, 13 & 14 based on what I saw in IORegistryExplorer. Perhaps you'll discover the correct information. You will see everything but the last test struck out since they were disconnected to test the next port. I used a Mouse to test the USB2 and a hard drive to test the USB3. This test was with the SSDT-USB.aml removed and the patch below back into the config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>change 15 port limit to 20 in AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>g72M/v//EA==</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>g72M/v//Gw==</data>
</dict>

LasVegas

Attachments

• USB Test.ioreg
    5.6 MB · Views: 189

You're probably right. I'm at a total loss trying to make sense of the information in IORegistryExplorer. I have been since this El Capitan USB issue started.

Initially, I figured the USB3 were using ports 0F, 10, 13 & 14 based on what I saw in IORegistryExplorer.

Thanks for posting the ioreg. Your ports shown are:
HS01-HS04 (USB2 on the various USB3 ports) (port address 0x1-0x4)
SSP1-SSP2 (USB3 on various USB3 ports) (port address 0x10-0x11)
SSP4-SSP5 (USB3 on various USB3 ports) (port address 0x14-0x15)

We already established bluetooth at HS09 (port address 0x09).

I have updated SSDT-USB.dsl based on this information. You can update to it and test.

Once you have it installed, you'll see HS01-HS04, and SS01-SS02, SS04-SS05 in ioreg. We'll see if the port-count property is needed (right now it is commented, as I didn't need it with my BRIX either).

I'm leaving the comments as is in the file with regard to the locations of these ports. You can verify they are accurate, if you wish.

You should notice that EH01/EH02 get disabled.

No need for the port limit patch when using the SSDT, so you can remove or disable that patch in your config.plist once you have the SSDT in place.

I have updated SSDT-USB.dsl based on this information. You can update to it and test.

Thank you so much RehabMan! It now works like a charm! You can now add this model of BRIX to your list. Everything is working flawlessly.

I know your instructions don't include using a Fusion drive configuration, but with the capability on this system, I just had to do it. The only drawback is the adjustments needed to make the Recovery drive available. I posted instructions for fixing that here: Booting Recovery on Fusion Drive from Clover. .

LasVegas

Last edited:

Thank you so much RehabMan! It now works like a charm! You can now add this model of BRIX to your list. Everything is working flawlessly.

Super...

I'll add some info to post #1 regarding support for your BRIX and likely the i7-4770R version as well.

I know your instructions don't include using a Fusion drive configuration, but with the capability on this system, I just had to do it. The only drawback is the adjustments needed to make the Recovery drive available. I posted instructions for fixing that here: Booting Recovery on Fusion Drive from Clover. .

Those highly motivated can look into the Fusion thing.

With SSD prices so much lower now, I don't think Fusion is worth the trouble. Much better to purchase an SSD large enough for your storage needs. IMHO, of course...

RehabMan, incredible guide and process. You taught an old dog new tricks. Respect! Thank you.

This detail is informational and appears to not be contributing to what I will report below; the intent is to document what's working. My build is a GB-BXi7-4770R, 16Gb RAM, mSATA 1TB, AzureWave AW-CE123H, a Samsun 4K 32" U32D970 on the display port and an old Hanns-G 28" HH281 on HDMI. The BRIX F7 BIOS has been modified to include 128MB DVMT-prealloc to enable 4K resolution in conjunction with macPixelClockPatcher which modifies IOKit and the below KernelAndKextPatches addition. SwitchResX is being used in this unlocked configuration to control finer screen resolutions based on workflows; it helps me a lot. There is one change to your config.plist that includes:
Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Enable 128MB DVMT-prealloc, 48MB framebuffer, 4K Support, 0x0d220003</string>
		<key>Disabled</key>
		<false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==</data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAAIAAAAAw==</data>
            </dict>
Everything reported as working in post 1 is confirmed working with the exception of Audio out on the HDMI port. The Display Port does carry audio when so configured in preferences. I have further spot checked the headphone jack and the audio appears to be two channel (stereo). I don't have a SPDF amplifier device to test that functionality. With regard to bluetooth, I do not know what is officially supported. I can say that an Apple Trackpad does pair and function. However although it appears to pair with my iPhone (difficult to do) in the end it shows as not supported.

So my ask is multi fold:
1) can you please look into as to why the HDMI port is not available as an output audio device?
2) is there a better method to unlock the pixel clock without modifying IOKit?
3) does this bluetooth handoff solution support pairing with an iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 163
  • kextstat_kextcache.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 164
  • BRIX1.ioreg.zip
    611.3 KB · Views: 110
  • RehabMan.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 130

RehabMan, incredible guide and process. You taught an old dog new tricks. Respect! Thank you.

Thanks.

So my ask is multi fold:
1) can you please look into as to why the HDMI port is not available as an output audio device?
2) is there a better method to unlock the pixel clock without modifying IOKit?
3) does this bluetooth handoff solution support pairing with an iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

Generally a patch to change connector-type from <00 04 00 00>(DP) to <00 08 00 00>(HDMI) is needed, but I didn't enable it because it turned out not needed on my BRIX (very rare). You will notice the patch for 0105 is in my config.plist, but disabled.

So... Which port is used for the HDMI? AppleIntelFramebuffer@0 or @1? Look at ioreg while you unplug/replug the monitors.

Current method of patching IOKit is the only way I know of to enable 4k.

iPhone does not pair and is not expected to (same on real Macs). It uses BT4LE.

The only thing I noticed about your ioreg is that FakePCIID is attaching to HDAU, and in your case, I don't think it is needed (native ID is supported). I made a slight change to FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext to fix this (it really only needs to attach to unsupported device-id 0x0c0c).

So... Which port is used for the HDMI? AppleIntelFramebuffer@0 or @1? Look at ioreg while you unplug/replug the monitors.
HDMI is on @0 and DP is on @1.

Generally a patch to change connector-type from <00 04 00 00>(DP) to <00 08 00 00>(HDMI) is needed, but I didn't enable it because it turned out not needed on my BRIX (very rare). You will notice the patch for 0105 is in my config.plist, but disabled.
My config.plist already contains enabled 'HDMI-audio, port 0105' & 'HDMI-audio, port 0105(12)' however I do not know how to change the connector-type for @0. Please I need your help on this one.

The use case is the 32" DP is primary, the HDMI can either be the 28" or a TV (viewing slide shows/movie watching). When the HDMI is active, directing the audio output is the request.

Current method of patching IOKit is the only way I know of to enable 4k.
I'll take it; it's working.

iPhone does not pair and is not expected to (same on real Macs). It uses BT4LE.
I never noticed; just tried on a rMBP MacBookPro10,1 and it is the same unsuccessful behavior. Learned yet again.

The only thing I noticed about your ioreg is that FakePCIID is attaching to HDAU, and in your case, I don't think it is needed (native ID is supported). I made a slight change to FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext to fix this (it really only needs to attach to unsupported device-id 0x0c0c).
Wow, you are quick; new ioreg is attached for your viewing pleasure. RTFM'ed, performed the following and rebooted:
Code:
cd ~/Projects/brix.git
git stash
git pull
make
make install
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Attachments

• BRIX2.ioreg.zip
    578.1 KB · Views: 113
HDMI is on @0 and DP is on @1.

My config.plist already contains enabled 'HDMI-audio, port 0105' & 'HDMI-audio, port 0105(12)' however I do not know how to change the connector-type for @0. Please I need your help on this one.

You should have both the 0105 and 0105(12) patches, but both are disabled. They are disabled by the # in front of the kext name, as in #AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. It makes it not match against any real kext since the actual name is AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. You can enable the patch by removing the #. You won't need to use the (12) variant.

I guess I'll go ahead and enable the patch even though my BRIX doesn't need it.

The use case is the 32" DP is primary, the HDMI can either be the 28" or a TV (viewing slide shows/movie watching). When the HDMI is active, directing the audio output is the request.

Note that you must select the audio output manually (you can hold Option while clicking on the system menu bar audio icon).

Wow, you are quick; new ioreg is attached for your viewing pleasure. RTFM'ed, performed the following and rebooted

Looks good.

Im having a strange issue. My Brix stops booting @ the Gigabyte screen in the bios when I have an EFI part over 100m not sure exactly what size. If I install OS X or Windows and make the part 200m the bois hangs but if I install Windows with no changes boots fine. The Brix is the 1 in my profile.

Im having a strange issue. My Brix stops booting @ the Gigabyte screen in the bios when I have an EFI part over 100m not sure exactly what size. If I install OS X or Windows and make the part 200m the bois hangs but if I install Windows with no changes boots fine. The Brix is the 1 in my profile.

Use OS X Disk Utility to partition your disk. It will set EFI at 200mb.

Install Windows *after* initial partition with Disk Utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back