Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Gigabyte Brix BKi3HA-7100 - Install Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan on a completely separate note to this thread I think the advice on the forum should be worded to point more strongly to recommend a better USB outcome than just using Multibeast options, at present I believe there is an inference that no more work is necessary. Either SSDT-UIAC or USB ports kext methods would give a better outcome as far as stability is concerned for many users. I have stabilised an otherwise unstable build on multiple machines by creating an SSDT-UIAC.aml (following your post on the subject). I should say I have also used the USB ports kext method and that gives the same stable result. I am sure you will have discussed this with others in the past but its an obvious hole in the quest for a stable hackintosh if the USB issues are not properly addressed.

Last edited:
@RehabMan on a completely separate note to this thread I think the advice on the forum should be worded to point more strongly to recommend a better USB outcome than just using Multibeast options, at present I believe there is an inference that no more work is necessary. Either SSDT-UIAC or USB ports kext methods would give a better outcome as far as stability is concerned for many users. I have stabilised an otherwise unstable build on multiple machines by creating an SSDT-UIAC.aml (following your post on the subject). I should say I have also used the USB ports kext method and that gives the same stable result. I am sure you will have discussed this with others in the past but its an obvious hole in the quest for a stable hackintosh if the USB issues are not properly addressed.

Agreed.
Proper USB configuration should be considered mandatory.
I have no idea why people think otherwise.

@RehabMan that is also what I have settled on. Is there anything else I can do to allow you to add this Brix to your build repository. I would expect that this build would work for the various processors within this generation. Let me know what you think. DM me or reply here - am happy to do more work if it's something I can do.

Eventually, I'll have a chance to look at the changes that will be required.

Dear @the_gael, I'm sorry for my late reply but I've been very busy in the past few days.

Did you create an SSDT to enable ports to work correctly?
No, I didn't. Actually at that time I tried USB pen drives only.

Experiment with Monitor settings - also try Displayport if available.

My Audio works correctly I used AppleALC.kext and set Audio ID to 13 in config.plist. When I plug headphones into the front port it detects them instantly and they work fine. I have also used FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext in order to address a small issue with Audio needing the HDMI source switched and switched back again after sleep.

I will attach the files necessary to replicate my build (with my personal SMBIOS data removed) so you will need to setup your own to use Messages, FaceTime, etc..
I will not add the kexts I use for my Wifi/BT as it is not applicable to your build.

I will also attach the SSDT's to go in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/ these are the required SSDT's to match the ACPI patches in my config.plist and the SSDT-UIAC to fix some USB issues like external disks not showing up as external.

The USBXHC_RP01_PXSX.kext was written by Rehabman and I modified the ports to match the BRIX's Front USB ports - this will also enable external disks to appear as external on these ports. There is still an issue with USB HDD's attached to the front ports not un-mounting correctly on sleep - I use Sleepwatcher to resolve that [Guide] Fix issue of "Disk not ejected properly". As this USBXHC_RP01_PXSX.kext is specific to this BRIX it is different to versions of it you may see elsewhere.

The kexts are all latest versions - I use Kext Updater to keep my kexts up to date. I am also on the latest release of Clover.

Let me know how you get on

Just tried your configuration you kindly attached and all of my problems are gone.
My monitor is now native 4K (using a HDMI 2.0 cable) instead of 2K, audio works like a charm (both via HDMI and the front AUX).

Thank you very much for sharing your settings. I'm sure your tips will be useful to thousands of users.

@Css13 If you connect a USB HDD to either of the Front USB ports do you get a "Disk not ejected properly" message when the BRIX wakes up from sleep. If you do not have this issue could you please post your config.plist

@Css13 when you have some time can you let me know whether or not you experienced the issue with the Front USB ejecting improperly on sleep.

Also if you apply the kexts, ssdt's and config.plist as I supplied I believe your audio issues will disappear.

anyway let me know - thank you

I can confirm it, I'm able to reproduce the issue. I didn't try an external HDD with my previous config.plist, but using yours I have this problem with different HDDs (both USB 2.0 and 3.0) connected on front USB port. Back ports are working fine instead. Listening to HDD noise, I noticed that when the BRIX goes in stop the hard disk turns off completely. After waking up from sleep, it is reconnected to the computer and this requires more time than usual; I've been able to see my HDD icon after a minute instead of a very few seconds. I don't know if you are experiencing a similar behavior.

I don't have idea on how to fix it, but I usually don't let my computer to stop and I rarely use external HDDs so it is not a big issue to me. Anyway if you want me to test something particular or if you need further informations, don't hesitate to let me know. It's the least I can do for you.

Thank you once more and have a great day!

I don't have idea on how to fix it, but I usually don't let my computer to stop and I rarely use external HDDs so it is not a big issue to me. Anyway if you want me to test something particular or if you need further informations, don't hesitate to let me know. It's the least I can do for you.

Thank you once more and have a great day!

Are you referring to a disk connected to a rear USB port or a Front one?

Are you referring to a disk connected to a rear USB port or a Front one?

I'm referring to disks connected to the front USB port. No issues with the rear ones.

@Css13 I just tested with both Front and Rear USB ports and my external USB drives appear instantly after waking from sleep. Have you implemented SleepWatcher from the link I posted earlier?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-fix-issue-of-disk-not-ejected-properly.188601/

No, I didn't, but it is not a big issue for me since I rarely use to stop my Mac/BRIX. I'll keep it as it is, this Hackintosh works fine beyond my expectation. But thank you anyway for sharing the SleepWatcher fix!

@RehabMan I have just discovered an issue in daily use. If I Enable Power Nap the SleepWatcher solution does not cope with it and when I do wake the Brix with keyboard or mouse I am confronted with several Improper Dis Ejection messages. I suspect that this is because the script was written before Apple deployed Power Nap and so it does not account for it. I am going to ask the writer of the script if he can adjust it.

Last edited:
I'm referring to disks connected to the front USB port. No issues with the rear ones.

No, I didn't, but it is not a big issue for me since I rarely use to stop my Mac/BRIX. I'll keep it as it is, this Hackintosh works fine beyond my expectation. But thank you anyway for sharing the SleepWatcher fix!
You are welcome and glad to hear it works well for you. Mine is running almost perfectly as well :headbang:

EDITED Yet Again: Issue resolved after vit9696 updated Lilu.kext to v1.3.1 which allows for loading from /L/E apparently previous versions were not meant to be loaded from there but from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

@RehabMan Latest version of Lilu.kext v1.3.0 stops the Brix from booting (attaching screenshot from boot failure). Reverting the Lilu.kext v1.2.9 resolves the issue. I have had a look on this forum and the other one but no-one appears to have reported issues. What does the error from boot mean besides that there is a graphics issue? IMG_0476.JPG

EDITED - after narrowing to Lilu.kext issue

EDITED Again - I posted on the other forum on the Lilu thread there and @vit9696 suggested that the issue might be a corrupt file system in the EFI partition or a corrupted download of the kext. From my screenshot he thought that WhateverGreen was not loading correctly and suggested using either -x or -disablegfxfirmware to boot and troubleshoot. Unfortunately my machine will not boot with either option but I have Lilu.kext v1.2.9 in my EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder so I can boot using the Clover option from pressing spacebar to load injected kexts.

I can't post PR files with Lilu.kext v1.3.0 loaded as I just can't boot with it - so am attaching PR files with Lilu.kext v1.2.9 loaded in the hope you can see something that might be causing the issue.

I have tested multiple times and the issue is stable, repeatable and reversible by reverting to Lilu.kext v 1.2.9. - I have also inserted another SSD and updated Lilu.kext on that and the issue is repeatable there as well and reversible. I am hoping you can suggest how to troubleshoot this issue. And Merry Christmas - I hope you had a good time!

Attachments

• debug_22581.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back