Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Getting R9 290/390 (non-X) to work on Sierra (10.12) AND High Sierra (10.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this and it worked! I have a sapphire r9 390. My luxmark score was around 16100...thanks for the help :)
Rest of the system is:
Gigabye GA-H97m-D3h
i7 4790k
16 GB Ram
What is your SMBIOS ? I have the same hardware with you. Can you share your config.plist with me please ?

What is your SMBIOS ? I have the same hardware with you. Can you share your config.plist with me please ?

Here is the config.plist, I have replaced the serial number with xxxxxxxxxxxx.
Addtionally, I just checked how many kexts I need for my setup.
- modified AMD8000Controller.kext
- modified AMDRadeonX4000.kext
- Lilu.kext
- Whatevergreen.kext
- AppleALC.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- AppleHDA.kext (for sound)
- RealtekRTL8111.kext (network card)

Hopefully that is helpful.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 447
I'm eyeballing this thread every day hoping that the guide gets updated soon :) Can't wait to have my hackintosh working again

I would now just sum it up and say the following to get the AMD R9 390 working in High Sierra:
- do the hex editor thing in the first post
- install the newest AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in S/L/E with kext wizard
- rebuild kext cache with kext wizard
- reboot

And you should be done.
I don't even have my IGP from the motherboard enabled in the bios. The HDMI cable now just connects directly from the AMD GFX card to the monitor.

Good luck to everyone.

@onkz
your first post is much appreciated mate, thanks :)

I got my XFX card working!

Here's how I did it (I'm not sure if some of these steps can be omitted):
Did Hex Edit steps in first post.
Checked LoadVBios - found a Sapphire BIOS that matched slead's.
Checked inject ATI.
Fake ID of 0x67b01002
FB set to Radeon.
Had latest versions of appleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen inside of my kexts/other folder.
Rebuilt caches.
Restarted.

And like Slead, I don't even need IGP to load up MacOS in style :D

I just upgraded to 10.13.1 and had to re-install the AMD8000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX4000.kext with the kext wizard. After that, a restart and all was fine again.

I followed the steps on my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 and I get stuck on gIOScreenLockState 3 loop, any clue to why it happens?

I got my XFX card working!

Here's how I did it (I'm not sure if some of these steps can be omitted):
Did Hex Edit steps in first post.
Checked LoadVBios - found a Sapphire BIOS that matched slead's.
Checked inject ATI.
Fake ID of 0x67b01002
FB set to Radeon.
Had latest versions of appleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen inside of my kexts/other folder.
Rebuilt caches.
Restarted.

And like Slead, I don't even need IGP to load up MacOS in style :D

So, adding my success report. This is on a legacy clover install!

Did Hex steps from first post.
LoadVBios in config-- using the bios I edited for El Cap
Checked inject ATI
Fake ID of 0x67b01002
FB set to Radeon
Latest AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen in kexts/other
Rebuilt caches
Resarted.

AND: Using DP direct from GPU to 4k60 monitor, with Bios, Clover, loading screen all visible throughout the whole process. At the last step I get a busy white screen, flash to black, then the desktop fades in-- card is recognized and accelerated. (R9 290, 4GB OC.) I haven't had a chance to test FCPX, Lightroom GPU accel, or any other graphics tests yet. But that's the next step.

Hello everyone,
so I'm running High Sierra right now and trying to get my R9 290 to work properly.
My system:
  • i5 2500K
  • Asus P8P67 Pro
  • R9 290 (Slot 2) + 8500 GT (Slot 1)

Graphics acceleration is working fine so far, I'm scoring 66fps in the Cinebench OpenGL Test (my 8500GT is reaching only 4 FPS).
The issue is that I can only choose 120Hz Refresh Rate with the Nvidia, not with the Radeon. Why is this ?

What I've done so far:
  • All the instructions from the first post
  • De-Init for the Radeon
  • Inject ATI
  • Inject Nvidia

@Schnecky, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hello everyone, I’m running High Sierra and managed to get working the R9 290, what I’ve done so far is:

Didn’t used the HEX steps from the first post, I’ve just set in Clover Configurator

FB set to Radeon
Port: 4
Inject ATI
Fake ID 0x67B01002

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back