Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Getting R9 290/390 (non-X) to work on Sierra (10.12) AND High Sierra (10.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to High Sierra and this method does not work anymore.
If you do this, it will result in a black screen. Putting the HDMI cable back to the IGP HDMI output brings the screen back.

Have you found a solution to get the graphics card to work in HS?

I have a problem with Colors (Whites too white,blacks low.) Used 0x67B01002 and FB = Greyhound. Two monitors works but colors are really different. Blues like cyan. Whites are too bright. Anybody can help ?

yeah I got it working. right now I am at work, I will explain my method later on.

@ruibas
the FB should actually be Radeon and not Greyhound. Also, try to change color profile in monitor settings.

Edit:
So what I did actually is quite simple.
I did this same procedure (the one with the hex editor) and also installed the Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext into S/L/E. After that I just started the computer. It took almost 4 minutes to boot up and I don't know why, after booting up however, everything was working flawlessly.
It will show you a AMD Radeon HD 8xxx 8GB in About this Mac. Since I did not want to wait 4 minutes for booting I thought to modify the following in the graphics section of the bootloader: I selected InjetATI, FakeID 0x67b01002, FB=Radeon, Port:04 and Load VBios. After that it also took 4 minutes but it was showing AMD Radeon R9 290/390 8GB in About this Mac.

In both cases the card is working fine, I could not spot any difference between the performance.

View media item 189534View media item 189535

Last edited:
Have you tried it?
Not yet.. will do this week.. any reason for lilu and whatevergreen ? I never had to deal with this in the past.. also did you solve your 4 min boot up time.. that doesn't sound to ideal.. ?

Not yet.. will do this week.. any reason for lilu and whatevergreen ? I never had to deal with this in the past.. also did you solve your 4 min boot up time.. that doesn't sound to ideal.. ?
I found a fix.
When I boot it up with -v boot flag I got the following error, and that is also where it stayed for some minutes.

Kextd stall [0], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'
Kextd stall [1], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'
Kextd stall [2], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'

After looking here in the forum I found this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/long-boot-time-high-sierra.232911/ and here it said something about removing the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to fix it. I however don't have the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext in any of my system folders but reading through the thread I got a link to this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-boot-time-4-5-minutes-possible-solution.233873/ and this one helped me.
I replaced the AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext with the newest versions.
Now everything is working fine.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to High Sierra and this method does not work anymore.

Yeah, I just upgraded and all my graphics are broken too.

I have logged back into this forum for the first time in a long while, and I hope I can write another guide for High Sierra users.

I did this same procedure (the one with the hex editor) and also installed the Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext into S/L/E. After that I just started the computer. It took almost 4 minutes to boot up and I don't know why, after booting up however, everything was working flawlessly.

Ah, see, I was just waiting 1-2 mins when I was trying to install High Sierra, but maybe I should have waited like you did. Good call! So you're saying this guide, alongside WhateverGreen and Lilu, works 100% on High Sierra? No issues? Does multi-monitor support still work?

I will be trying this tonight when I get home, I hope it works!!!!
Thanks for the awesome tips!

I selected InjetATI, FakeID 0x67b01002, FB=Radeon, Port:04 and Load VBios.

Hmm, this reminds me of the El Capitan method, it was similar, just without Port selection and without Load VBIOS enabled.

Not yet.. will do this
any reason for lilu and whatevergreen ?

I've heard WhateverGreen solves 90% of GPU issues surrounding AMD cards from 2013-2017. Sounds pretty good.

Kextd stall [0], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'
Kextd stall [1], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'
Kextd stall [2], (60s): 'NVDAgl', 'IOResources'

THIS! I've been getting Kextd stalls EVERY TIME I try to boot the High Sierra installer- it refuses to go past these stalls and I have not yet been able to install anything.

I replaced the AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext with the newest versions.
Now everything is working fine.

Good note. I will remember this for later.

Basically, hello again to everyone, I hope we're all hyped to upgrade to High Sierra, and I hope, within the next few days, I can provide another detailed guide for all new/inexperienced users to install High Sierra on their PCs! :)

For those who are interested, I wrote a small log about my previous installations of macOS and how each one worked. Hope it's useful to anyone.

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/760wz6/useful_info_for_z97h97_users_running_r9_290390/

I will be updating it when I get High Sierra on my system, fully working.

I would now just sum it up and say the following to get the AMD R9 390 working in High Sierra:
- do the hex editor thing in the first post
- install the newest AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in S/L/E with kext wizard
- rebuild kext cache with kext wizard
- reboot

And you should be done.
I don't even have my IGP from the motherboard enabled in the bios. The HDMI cable now just connects directly from the AMD GFX card to the monitor.

Good luck to everyone.

@onkz
your first post is much appreciated mate, thanks :)

I would now just sum it up and say the following to get the AMD R9 390 working in High Sierra:
- do the hex editor thing in the first post
- install the newest AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in S/L/E with kext wizard
- rebuild kext cache with kext wizard
- reboot

And you should be done.
I don't even have my IGP from the motherboard enabled in the bios. The HDMI cable now just connects directly from the AMD GFX card to the monitor.

Good luck to everyone.

@onkz
your first post is much appreciated mate, thanks :)

Follow up since I haven't had time to mess with my home hackintosh.

R9 290X
1. Installed Lilu and Whatever kext in my clover kext other folder
2. removed intel inject from clover startup

1 didnt solve my issue, after testing bootup options in clover, I unchecked my intel inject after that my R9 dual monitors came back to life. When I get back from my trip, I'm going to test this by removing Lilu and Whatever to make sure they helped or are not needed in my case..

I bascially only need FakeSMC and the Clover Audio hack for my machine to work.. I prefer not to have a lot of stuff as Kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back