Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Getting R9 290/390 (non-X) to work on Sierra (10.12) AND High Sierra (10.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this works with any R9 390 card.
Has it worked for you? Please share your results! :)

It did not work right away. I had to play aroudn with different kinds of SMBIOS -- finaly found the ASUS 390 vbios that worked.

I used the "Radeon" FB with the device ID inject and ATI inject.

Worked like a charm.

Bruce x was 23sec with 4770k on sierra

Hello

Does this mean I don't have to use iGPU eventually after following your guide?

I've tried this but I get multi coloured flickering when ever I move the mouse I'm using a r9 390 sapphire vram is showing though

Hi, I want share my experience with this card. In 10.12.2, no need to change there kexts.

Just put FB= Radeon, and Fake ID 0x67B01002, just like in El Capitan.

My system fully working with those methods. My LuxMark shows 16000 and full 1050MHZ which is not working with your methods in 10.12.1

I know it was pain to find out the right edit in kexts. But no need to edit in 10.12.2

I hope this helped others.

GL!

This worked for me, except it says I have an "AMD Radeon 8xxx 8GB" card in About this Mac.

Last edited:
Thank you so much onkz and others. I got it working perfectly (no graphical issues whatsoever) on my Gigabyte r9 390 with DisplayPort. I'm so excited because I thought I had to use HDMI and sacrifice 60hz refresh rate on 4k.

The key for me was this:
BIOS MUST BE SET to use the iGPU (Intel Integrated Graphics) upon boot with 128m shared memory, so macOS can initialise the main 390 GPU while loading

Does anything know why it's reporting 290/390 instead of just 390?
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 12.59.00 AM.png

Let me know if anyone wants a step-by-step guide of how I configured my ASUS z170 pro gaming bios.

Last edited:
Thank you so much onkz and others. I got it working perfectly (no graphical issues whatsoever) on my Gigabyte r9 390 with DisplayPort. I'm so excited because I thought I had to use HDMI and sacrifice 60hz refresh rate on 4k.

The key for me was this:

Does anything know why it's reporting 290/390 instead of just 390?
View attachment 254736

Let me know if anyone wants a step-by-step guide of how I configured my ASUS z170 pro gaming bios.

Hey @peacelost ! i am grabbing myself a barely used r9 290 tomorrow, got it for like 30 euro wich isnt much at all. its going to replace my gtx 950 since that card just isnt very fast. it works decent but i want a little bit more power. i do have a differen mobo but could you please tell me all the steps you took to get everything to work? and also does your hdmi audio work? you might have a r9 390 but following (almost) the same steps should hopefully work for me too tomorrow.

@GusD

I followed Loco Massa's Oct 4 instructions exactly: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315027-amd-r9-390-framebuffer-issue-on-1012-sierra/

No deviation whatsoever.

Besides making the iGPU primary in the BIOS and giving it 128mb ram, I followed standard BIOS settings per https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

If your graphics card has multiple DisplayPorts (the Gigabyte r390 has 3), make sure you try each one. Only 1 particular DisplayPort will work.

I did have one issue though. After everything was working, I played around with config.plist further. After reboot, my r390 wasn't being recognized. I verified that the kext changes were still there and I simply had to rerun the following commands and reboot:
Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Yea... any help? I made a post here...

@GusD

I followed Loco Massa's Oct 4 instructions exactly: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/315027-amd-r9-390-framebuffer-issue-on-1012-sierra/

No deviation whatsoever.

Besides making the iGPU primary in the BIOS and giving it 128mb ram, I followed standard BIOS settings per https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

If your graphics card has multiple DisplayPorts (the Gigabyte r390 has 3), make sure you try each one. Only 1 particular DisplayPort will work.

I did have one issue though. After everything was working, I played around with config.plist further. After reboot, my r390 wasn't being recognized. I verified that the kext changes were still there and I simply had to rerun the following commands and reboot:
Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

it give me this
Hacks-iMac:~ hack$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

String/URL conversion failure.

KernelCache ID: E85D91F05BB45BFE7172285465A66D22

String/URL conversion failure.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 13.29.18.png
Hacks-iMac:~ hack$

Tell me please, will my r9 290 card work in mac os sierra, if I do not have igpu at all? Now I have mac os Yosemite, and everything works fine.
Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back