Contribute
Register

[Guide] Getting Nvidia cards to work on Thinkpad P71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your guide again. I followed your guide, flashed the VBios, Install High Sierra 10.13.6, but the Thunderbolt &USB3.0 didn't work. I fixed the USB3.0 with Hackintool 2.8 but have no idea with the Thunderbolt.
I also tried your "EFI_1", unfortunately, the internal screen is black&HDMI has no signal.
Hello myvivre, unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to figure out how to hot plug thunderbolt, but if you really need to use thunderbolt device, you can plug them in before you turn on the laptop and they should show up like they normally do. As for "EFI_1", have you changed your bios setting beforehand? This requires you to set discreet GPU as the main display in the bios display setting. Let me know if this is any help. Have a nice day.

Hello myvivre, unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to figure out how to hot plug thunderbolt, but if you really need to use thunderbolt device, you can plug them in before you turn on the laptop and they should show up like they normally do. As for "EFI_1", have you changed your bios setting beforehand? This requires you to set discreet GPU as the main display in the bios display setting. Let me know if this is any help. Have a nice day.
I appreciate your reply. Recently I found some .dsl files in your EFI ~/ACPI/patched folder. I compiled them to .aml and the USB, HDMI&Thunderbolt for video output works perfectly as you said in your guide. Except for the thunderbolt still can't use usb-C storage device, but it's not a big deal for me.

As for "EFI_1" , if I set iGPU in the bios, it shows an unknown GPU with 3M memory. When it be set as discreet GPU,both internal&external displays are black. So I've given up this plan.

Thanks again for your excellent work!

I appreciate your reply. Recently I found some .dsl files in your EFI ~/ACPI/patched folder. I compiled them to .aml and the USB, HDMI&Thunderbolt for video output works perfectly as you said in your guide. Except for the thunderbolt still can't use usb-C storage device, but it's not a big deal for me.

As for "EFI_1" , if I set iGPU in the bios, it shows an unknown GPU with 3M memory. When it be set as discreet GPU,both internal&external displays are black. So I've given up this plan.

Thanks again for your excellent work!
I'm glad it worked out for you. May I ask what dsl file you renamed? So I can update my guide accordingly.

I'm glad it worked out for you. May I ask what dsl file you renamed? So I can update my guide accordingly.
I complied "SSDT-USBX.dsl", "SSDT-CFAN_silent.dsl" to *.aml. with the usbx.aml all usb device can work both usb2.0&usb3.0.
Without the CFAN.aml, the fan will works at max speed after sysytem sleep.

Hi. Does your laptop come with i7-7700HQ CPU and 4k panel? What is you DVMT value in bios?

Not much, thunderbolt hot plug is not working and I'm having some issue with dw 1560 wifi card. Other than that, p71 is probably the only laptop with discrete graphics working without gettingg into bulky gaming laptops.
Hello qiuboujun, do you still have problems with the dw 1560 wifi card?
(Update) Fixed my problems with DW1560 using the selected kexts in /L/E:
1602602623061.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back