Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

If you know con-0 is the DP connector and con-2 is the HDMI connector, you need to make those changes in your IGPU framebuffer settings.

You can then try con-1 as DVI and then as VGA, to see which connector is correct. I would suggest setting it as DVI first. See if that helps.

Using a non-native CPU/IGPU setup is never ideal, but it should work the same as a native CFL CPU.

The difference in the Mac Model names is down to the fact you are using a Framebuffer that provides 3 x connectors that can be used to drive a display.
  • This framebuffer is more suited to the Macmini8,1 as that is how that system operates, i.e. without a discrete GPU and the IGPU undertakes all graphics processing.
  • The iMac19,1 expects the IGPU to be used with a discrete GPU and for the IGPU to be run with a Headless/empty framebuffer, i.e. the IGPU is not used to drive a display just for QuickSync and Compute processes. The Discrete GPU is used for graphics processing.
While you are not using a discrete GPU, it might be wise to switch to the Macmini8,1 SMBIOS as it better matches your system. This may fix some of the GPU issues you are facing.

Before you switch to the Macmini8,1 SMBIOS:
  • Make sure you sign out of your iCloud account, as you will face issues when you reboot your system with the new SMBIOS data, if you don't.

Hi,

I believe I'm in the right place to ask for help.

As shown in my signature, I currently run Catalina smoothly on an ASUS Z490-P mobo, supplied with an I9-10850K and Intel UHD 630, with an external IIYAMA display (installed and running OC 068 bootloader). The only running port is DP, in this case, however the display is supplied with both HDMI and DP-1.2.

And then I try to boot Ventura on the same box with OC 086. And I'm facing the black screen culprit right after OC boot when trying to boot "Install MacOS Ventura".

It is difficult to use the receipes explained in this fabulous guide, since I got only one display.

Could someone help me anyway ?

The framebuffer definitions I use are the following :

1670878168325.png

I copied them from my Catalina setup using Hackhintool (thanx Headkaze), after several refinements.
As you can see above, I tried to switch busid and type values between con0 and con1 FBs to no avail (red lines).
In both Catalina and Ventura, I used iMac20,2 as SystemProductName. I think con2 FB should be empty.

Where are the mistakes, please ? What am I missing ?

I can provide more info on request.

Many thanks, Regards, G.

Hi,

I believe I'm in the right place to ask for help.

As shown in my signature, I currently run Catalina smoothly on an ASUS Z490-P mobo, supplied with an I9-10850K and Intel UHD 630, with an external IIYAMA display (installed and running OC 068 bootloader). The only running port is DP, in this case, however the display is supplied with both HDMI and DP-1.2.

And then I try to boot Ventura on the same box with OC 086. And I'm facing the black screen culprit right after OC boot when trying to boot "Install MacOS Ventura".

It is difficult to use the receipes explained in this fabulous guide, since I got only one display.

Could someone help me anyway ?

The framebuffer definitions I use are the following :

View attachment 559804

I copied them from my Catalina setup using Hackhintool (thanx Headkaze), after several refinements.
As you can see above, I tried to switch busid and type values between con0 and con1 FBs to no avail (red lines).
In both Catalina and Ventura, I used iMac20,2 as SystemProductName. I think con2 FB should be empty.

Where are the mistakes, please ? What am I missing ?

I can provide more info on request.

Many thanks, Regards, G.

Hi there

Possibly try a different device-ID. The I9-10850K has a UHD 630 with ID of 0x9BC5, so:

AAPL,ig-platform-id of 0000C89B

... might work?

:)

Hi there

Possibly try a different device-ID. The I9-10850K has a UHD 630 with ID of 0x9BC5, so:

AAPL,ig-platform-id of 0000C89B

... might work?

:)

Thanks, but it does not work much better. Going up to "startup" plus "prohibited sign" after Apple logo plus a little bit of progress bar.

But the boot log is showing a lot of AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer messages which I can't interpret. See attached file. What's up then ?

Many thanks, Regards, G.

Attachments

• bootlog_1312_01_short01.txt
    271.1 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, but it does not work much better. Going up to "startup" plus "prohibited sign" after Apple logo plus a little bit of progress bar.

But the boot log is showing a lot of AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer messages which I can't interpret. See attached file. What's up then ?

Many thanks, Regards, G.

Those Framebuffer messages are normal. There is no crash there I can see.

The prohibited sign is a classic sign of one of two things:

1) that the USB Installer is in a USB port which has become disabled during boot.

or

2) that the main drive you are booting from is not in the correct format or partition scheme.

Perhaps consider ZIP'ing your EFI folder and uploading it for us to check (remember to blank your serial-number for privacy reasons).

Those Framebuffer messages are normal. There is no crash there I can see.

The prohibited sign is a classic sign of one of two things:

1) that the USB Installer is in a USB port which has become disabled during boot.

or

2) that the main drive you are booting from is not in the correct format or partition scheme.

Perhaps consider ZIP'ing your EFI folder and uploading it for us to check (remember to blank your serial-number for privacy reasons).

I will gladly appreciate your help : I attach my EFI.

Many Thanks, Regards, G.

PS I want to underline that this same rig is running smoothly Catalina 10.15.7 with OC 068.

Attachments

• EFI-Tmx3.tar.zip
    36.7 MB · Views: 31

I will gladly appreciate your help : I attach my EFI.

Many Thanks, Regards, G.

PS I want to underline that this same rig is running smoothly Catalina 10.15.7 with OC 068.
you should not be enabling your DSDT.aml with opencore

also all these should not be enabled:

FPDT*.aml, SSDT-1 2 3 etc etc

also remove all the entries that you are not using (the ones with # in front of them)

all your boot aguments:
-v keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x12a shikigva=80 alcid=11 agdpmod=pikera msgbuf=2097152 -liludbgall igdebug=0xff acpi_layer=0x8 acpi_level=0x2 swd_panic=1 -dbgenhiolog io=0xff -lilubetaall igfxonln=1 -wegbeta -wegdbg -igfxtypec

are not necessary either

and iMac19,1 would be a better choice of smbios for your coffeelake cpu

@grodid0 This is a link to the specifications for your CFL NUC:

You should read and understand which components are present in your NUC, before trying to create an OC EFI folder for the system.

You didn't need to include the OpenCore Utilities folder, nor the Resources folder from OcBinaryData. As neither of these are directly linked to your OC EFI.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.31.38.png

Given you are hacking a NUC I have to say your EFI is a mess. About the only thing correct is the EFI folder structure.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.19.47.png

You have BOOTx64.efi and RELBOOTx64.efi present in your /EFI/BOOT folder, why? What are you using RELBOOTx64.efi for? Are you Dual-booting macOS and another OS?

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 18.01.51.png Before

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 18.02.06.png After

Your /OC/ACPI folder contains a large number of unnecessary tables, as stated by @Feartech.

You need to edit your ACPI folder as follows:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.19.58.png Before

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.34.32.png After

Your /OC/Drivers folder is similar and needs editing, as follows:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.20.56.png Before

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.21.37.png After

Your /OC/Kexts folder is the same and should be edited as follows:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.23.31.png Before

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.38.56.png After

Issues in your /OC/Kexts folder:
  1. You had 3 x Realtek Ethernet kexts in the Kexts folder, but your NUC has an Intel i219V Ethernet controller.
    1. I have added IntelMausi.kext to the image above (highlighted kext) as that is the kext you should be using for your NUC.
  2. You had SSDT-UIAC.aml in the /OC/ACPI folder; USBInjectAll.kext, USBMap.kext and USBPorts.kext in your Kexts folder.
    1. If you were just using the SSDT-UIAC.aml, then having USBInjectAll.kext in the kext folder would be fine.
    2. But as you have two other USB configuration kexts in the Kexts folder, it makes no sense to retain these two entries.
    3. You need to add and inject USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext, never both together.
    4. I have removed USBMap.kext as this site recommends the use of USBPorts.kext. Chances of it being correct given the stated of your EFI are probably slim, unless you took it from someone else's setup.
  3. No idea why you are using IntelBTPatcher.kext.
  4. IntelBluetoothInjector.kext is not supported beyond macOS Big Sur. So when running Monterey or Ventura this kext should be removed or disabled using the MaxKernel entry within the config.plist entry fro the kext.
  5. You have the replacement for IntelBluetoothInjector.kext present in your /OC/Kexts folder - BluetoolFixup.kext.
Your /OC/Tools folder contains all the default entries, which you will probably never use. The Whole folder can be emptied to my mind, as you have the ResetNvramEntry.efi option in your /OC/Drivers folder. Alternatively you can retain the three basic Tools, as shown in the second screenshot below.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.50.43.png Before

You should not have ResetNvramEntry.efi in your /OC/Tools folder, not if the Tools folder is from the same release of OpenCore as the other folders/contents. This Tool was removed by the OC developers a few months ago and replaced with the ResetNvramEntry.efi Driver option.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17.57.33.png After

You need to keep the /OC/Tools folder even if it is empty.

This is what the contents of your EFI folder should look like for your NUC.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 18.07.08.png Revised EFI folder contents.

Also your NUC should be using the Macmini8,1 SMBIOS, as that is the closest match to a real Apple system for your Hack.

Your config.plist is just as big a mess as your EFI folder, hardly surprising really. I am not going to go through all the changes I have made, too many to list.

I have attached a Revised EFI based on the instructions for configuring OpenCore for a Coffee Lake NUC. This has entailed a number of additional changes:
  • Add SSDT-OSXI.aml and config.plist entry.
  • Add SSDT-PNLF.efi.
  • Edit the DeviceProperties to match your UHD 655 IGPU.
  • Remove a number of unnecessary entries to make the config.plist easier to read and navigate
  • Change a few incorrectly set entries, to match the settings in the CFL Laptop/NUC guide.
The revised EFI folder contents now looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 18.47.26.png Revised EFI folder contents

You need to generate a new SMBIOS before you use this EFI.
  1. The SMBIOS should be that for a Macmini8,1.
  2. Add the MLB, ROM, Serial Number and SystemUUID details to the config.plist.
You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi on the OpenCore boot screen before booting this EFI.
  • The Tools are now hidden on the boot screen to keep it clear of unnecessary icons.
  • So you will need to press the spacebar to display the ResetNvramEntry.efi icon.

I just checked your USBPorts.kext and as expected it is wrong for your NUC.
  • Your NUC contains 5 x USB3 ports and 1 x USB2 motherboard header, plus I assume a USB2 connection for the Intel Bluetooth module.
  • This means your USBPorts.kest should be activating no more than 13 USB ports.
    • 10 x USB3 (3)ports and
    • 3 x Internal (255) ports
  • Your USBPorts.kext is activating 15 ports:
    • 13 x USB3 (3) and
    • 2 x USB2 Internal (255)
  • Where did the extra pair of USB3 ports come from?
Having the 2 x extra ports active may not make any difference, as long as your physical ports are set correctly. This is why I have not removed this kext from your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder or config.plist.

You need to open the USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist and edit the XHC system and model names to reflect the change of SMBIOS from iMac20,1 to Macmini8,1, otherwise the kext won't work.

I would suggest you use a spare USB pen drive to test this EFI. Do not overwrite your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works.

Do not forget to undertake the edits/changes required and listed above. The EFI will not work without these essential edits/changes.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 35
@Edhawk Thanks for your replies.

I am really really sorry for this huge list of fixes you draw, but as can be seen in my signature, my current work is about :
Mobo : ASUS Z490-P, supplied with an i9-10850K CPU and Intel UHD 630 chip driving an Iiyama display (3480x2160), while trying to install Ventura (13.1 now) with OpenCore 086.

Anyway, I appreciate very much all the suggestions, since they look very important, and report back.

The backup is currently, on the same rig with same screen, Catalina 10.15.7 booted thru OC 068.

Many Thanks, Regards, G.

Back