Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Those who are using DP->DVI video adapters with their UHD630 iGPU and are trying to boot Monterey, I have found that patched connector type DVI <04000000> is not supported by Monterey. My rig documented here would boot Monterey 12.1 to black screens with DP->DVI video adapters and patched connector type DVI. Type DVI worked perfectly for me with Catalina and Big Sur.

In order to boot Monterey with DP->DVI adapters, I need to patch my connector types as HDMI <00080000>.

My rig is as follows:
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
  • i9-9900 UHD630
EDIT: Note that in order to use DP->DVI video adapters with my rig (CFL UHD630 iGPU), I must use a "mobile" framebuffer (I'm using AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E920000). A "desktop" framebuffer (e.g., AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007) with DP->DVI video adapters results in booting to black screens. This has been true for as long as I have been patching the HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Minis.

Last edited:
Need help in resolving the sleep issue please.

no/black screen after wakeup.

HW config.
Intel i3 7100 3.9Gz (HD630 IGPU)
I have never seen working wake from sleep with Desktop Kabylake / HD630 without dGPU (only iGPU). It is a well-known hackintosh issue. Are you certain that sleep/wake was working with CLOVER?

I am having this issue, when wake from sleep, RX580 trough DP, doesnt show up for 10 seconds, and the monitor stars to jump over conectors, at some point starts again, and if you check debug info it says : AMD Framebuffer VIB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)
I have tryed on HDMI and this doesnt happen. But the quality is worst than wirth DP.

Hi, I have an HP pavilion with i5 10400 using IGPU. Chipset is H470. I have been able to install monterey with Kaby Lake device ID. However, did not have an acceleration. There is no way to set memory in BIOS (no option). However, changing device ID to 0x3E9B0007 results in a black screen. The machine is able to boot as I am able to access via VNC. Not sure how I need to debug or progress. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.30 PM.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.15.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.15.04 PM.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 105
Hi, I have an HP pavilion with i5 10400 using IGPU. Chipset is H470. I have been able to install monterey with Kaby Lake device ID. However, did not have an acceleration. There is no way to set memory in BIOS (no option). However, changing device ID to 0x3E9B0007 results in a black screen. The machine is able to boot as I am able to access via VNC. Not sure how I need to debug or progress. Any input would be great. Thanks.
So it's a Comet Lake desktop using the iGPU? Any reason you aren't using Comet Lake DeviceIDs which should be supported? I think you are making an assumption the two iGPUs are the same which is not the case. Kaby Lake has a Intel® HD Graphics 630 while Comet Lake/ Coffee Lake use Intel® UHD Graphics 630, it would take some serious unnecessary spoofing to get it display.

Have you tried alternative Coffee Lake/ Comet Lake iGPU ID's?
Hopefully you are using the OpenCore boot loader and can modify the device IDs to overcome the limitations of your bios, see here for basic device IDs and config.plist entries;
Its possible to do this with Clover as well but the process varies slightly

Also in the Github Whatevergreen FAQ there are alternative device IDs that are more suited to the CPU you have if the two they list do not work. You'll need to scroll down to get past older generation processors.

@AppleUser01 I, too, have encountered and solved blackscreen with framebuffer AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007 (different chipset, but may be related). If you're still trying to figure out the blackscreen issue, it would help if you posted your EFI and listed your physical graphics ports on your PC and your display(s) (and whether you are using adapters/converters - e.g., DP->HDMI). It looks like you are not patching your connector-types, so WEG is automatically changing your DP connector types to HDMI. Would need the EFI and explicit graphics connectors on both PC and Displays to help.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (WI-FI)
Has two ports: DP and HDMI.
Index 1, BusID 0x05, Type DP
Index 2, BusID 0x02, Type HDMI
Dual monitor mode works fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.02.43.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.02.43.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.03.31.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.03.31.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for the helpful directions. I found the graphics was working on Port 3. However, audio through HDMI didn't work. Audio would show up on port 2 only and never on port 3. Display wouldn't work on port 2, but only on port 3. Setting both port 2 and port 3 to the same bus id fixed the issue. Not sure what other issues it causes, but have graphics with full acceleration and HD audio. I only have one display as the computer has 1 HDMI and 1 VGA. Will this setting create any issue? Thanks again.

1642038672244.png

@AppleUser01 The first post in this thread indicates that BusIDs must be unique for each connector (unless using BusID=0 when disabling connectors). Without your EFI and other details about the graphics adapters/connectors you're using, we're all just guessing.

Back