Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

WhateverGreen 1.4.1 was released today and I can confirm that on-board HDMI ports on many motherboards are working again (on Z490 Vision D and Z390 Designare). The problem was first seen in Catalina.

I tried WEG 1.4.1 on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming but no joy. HDMI is still not working. I'm still trying to get the hackintool to work so I can patch the connectors correctly.

@andydupont : have you read pastrychef's work on the Z390M Gaming motherboard? I've been using a modified version of his EFIs for my related Z390 Gaming X rig, and it is rock-solid stable.

This is his EFI for an iGPU only setup.

You can hop over to his thread and upload your EFI (remember to scrub your SMBIOS info). We'll try to help you out over there.

I tried WEG 1.4.1 on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming but no joy. HDMI is still not working. I'm still trying to get the hackintool to work so I can patch the connectors correctly.

Does anyone have a working config for Asus Strix Z390 E/I/F and DP+HDMI on 10.15.5/6?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.6 with Asus Strix Z390-F in iGPU only mode (UHD 630), with the newest WhateverGreen kext and Lilu kexts compiled by @RockArtist and the patches used by @Blue_Ocean posted in my quote.

Using DP+HDMI:
- if I boot the display connected to HDMI is black and after a while the one connected to DP starts glitching. If I reconnect the HDMI cable, its display turns on, the glitching stop and everything seems stable.
- if I boot with HDMI disconnected, display connected to DP starts glitching and if I connect the HDMI cable everything starts working.
tl;dr: it starts glitching initially but after reconnecting HDMI it's all good.

settings for Gigabyte H370 HD3 and Coffee Lake CPU, works perfectly for Gigabyte B360M HD3

Yes I'm going to try the new version of WEG now. When you were doing your testing did you ever have the problem of no connectors being highlighted regardless of what ig-platform-id you chose?

I just went through the entire list of ig-platform-ids and could never get a connector the highlight for the monitor I had connected.

Without your problem reporting files, it's difficult to speculate.

have you read pastrychef's work on the Z390M Gaming motherboard? I've been using a modified version of his EFIs for my related Z390 Gaming X rig, and it is rock-solid stable.

Thanks tedyun.... I will check out the thread and EFI. I'll let you know what happens.

Without your problem reporting files, it's difficult to speculate.

deeveedee.... Understood. Earlier you said "EFI and IORegistry dump" I assume those are the reporting files. If I can't get this sorted out I will send them.

What I found out yesterday is that even though my system report showed that my graphics were accelerated, my gpu wasn't showing on the main "about this mac" like it is now (see pic). The way I got it to show was by booting with two monitors connected, one to HDMI and the other to DVI. Neither monitor is displaying, but now the hackintool shows one highlighted connector. My first patch did not work, so I'm trying different BusIds to see if one works.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.34.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.34.42 AM.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 81
@andydupont : I think it would help troubleshooting if you zip up your EFI and post that as an attachment so that we can check if your patch was applied correctly. Just remember to scrub your SMBIOS information (ie., your serial numbers).

deeveedee.... Understood. Earlier you said "EFI and IORegistry dump" I assume those are the reporting files. If I can't get this sorted out I will send them.

What I found out yesterday is that even though my system report showed that my graphics were accelerated, my gpu wasn't showing on the main "about this mac" like it is now (see pic). The way I got it to show was by booting with two monitors connected, one to HDMI and the other to DVI. Neither monitor is displaying, but now the hackintool shows one highlighted connector. My first patch did not work, so I'm trying different BusIds to see if one works.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.
If you're using CLOVER, use gen_debug as I've specified here. It automatically scrubs the sensitive info and provides the IORegistry dump.

If you're using CLOVER, use gen_debug as I've specified here. It automatically scrubs the sensitive info and provides the IORegistry dump.

gen_debug would open IORegistry but was unable to download it. I got the following notice from gen_debug:

"IOREG dump failed. Retrying by increasing delays...
IOREG dump has failed 3 times. Dumping generic IOREG report instead."

I'm attaching the dump. I was booting using the config-DVI-06.plist file. This one mapped the DVI connector to BusID 6.

Last edited:
Back