Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Thanks for the reply! I tried what you suggested and the result is the same. There is one difference though, whenever I plug/unplug my HDMI now my Laptop screen flashes as well.
Sorry it didnt work for you, it is too late for me. If you will not find a solution until tomorrow we will continue. Meanwhile you can look for debug output through
sudo dmesg
on terminal. After unplug/plug
Look for igpu or something like that

Alright! Thanks so much for the help i'll try to work something from here.
If anyone else still has some suggestions I'm open to anything.
Update : I have noticed the error "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" when booting up but kinda ignored it until now when I got the same message when pluging the HDMI with dmesg (not sure if related to the HDMI problem, as most people usually can't boot after that point, mine seems to boot with no issues and laptop's screen is working). Still didn't find a fix.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I realised with your prompting that the problem originated by the arguments provided by the Clover bootloader setup I have so I am getting rid of those (how do I avoid having the stop it doing Intel Inject FakeId every time - there must a config file for the bootloader somewhere?).

Now I have the right (-ish) settings appearing in the various places concerning HD4000 and my monitor, I have a well behaved GUI but only when I remote in from another Mac.

When I look at the monitor direct, attached by HDMI cable, I get the repeated login display problem.

I have just been told this may be because of an inadequate HDMI cable possibly :(

Bizarrely, my machine went to sleep and when I woke it - nice in itself - the HDMI graphics work!

Alright! Thanks so much for the help i'll try to work something from here.
If anyone else still has some suggestions I'm open to anything.
Update : I have noticed the error "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" when booting up but kinda ignored it until now when I got the same message when pluging the HDMI with dmesg (not sure if related to the HDMI problem, as most people usually can't boot after that point, mine seems to boot with no issues and laptop's screen is working). Still didn't find a fix.
Look when I was talking about the debug output I was talking about the following:
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB2: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 3840 x 2160 -> 3840 x 2160 on 53d7e000 with 1 options at stride 15360
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB1: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 3840 x 2160 -> 3840 x 2160 on 49ad6000 with 801 options at stride 15360
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] Pipe Gamma Enable

I've got two monitor setup and when I turn off/on one of my monitors I can see the above messages.
FB1 and FB2 are two framebuffers. The config I gave you defines three one being LVDS and other two are mDP and HDMI ports.

Look when I was talking about the debug output I was talking about the following
[IGFB][INFO ] FB0, port = 0
[IGFB][INFO ] FB0 Getting display status
[IGFB][INFO ] FB0 Display status is = 1
[IGFB][INFO ] Port status = 1, port type = 3
[IGFB][INFO ] [AGDC] Get link config
[IGFB][INFO ] [AGDC] Get port status
[IGFB][INFO ] Getting current display mode fCurrentMode = 0x80007000 fBootDisplay = 1, fDetailedTimings = <ptr>
[IGFB][INFO ] Setting current display mode to 0x80007000 and depth to 0
[IGFB][INFO ] Getting current display mode fCurrentMode = 0x80007000 fBootDisplay = 1, fDetailedTimings = <ptr>
[IGFB][INFO ] [Set_attribute] (attribute='capd', value=0)
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 40b91000 with 801 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] First flip after mode set occured at 871484946
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] FB0: Blanking out the screen with black gamma at 871488875 with transaction state 2
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] FB0: Setting gamma ramp of 513 points as below at 871505486 with transaction state 2
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Red Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Green Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Blue Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 403a8000 with 1 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 4137a000 with 801 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 40b91000 with 1 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 40b91000 with 801 options at stride 7680
apfs_spec_read_wrapper:11004: apfs_spec_read_wrapper : f_info->fsr_offset 114688 f_info->fsr_length 36864 filesize 150000
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 4137a000 with 1 options at stride 7680

These are the messages I am getting when plugging in the HDMI
And this is my current config(the one you gave me) but it seems I'm only getting FB0 information.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 18.03.22.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 18.03.22.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
[IGFB][INFO ] [Set_attribute] (attribute='capd', value=0)
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] First flip after mode set occured at 871484946
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] FB0: Blanking out the screen with black gamma at 871488875 with transaction state 2
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] FB0: Setting gamma ramp of 513 points as below at 871505486 with transaction state 2
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Red Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Green Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Gamma_Transaction] Blue Channel : 0 ... 21909 ... 43818 ... 65535
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 403a8000 with 1 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 4137a000 with 801 options at stride 7680
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 40b91000 with 1 options at stride 7680
apfs_spec_read_wrapper:11004: apfs_spec_read_wrapper : f_info->fsr_offset 114688 f_info->fsr_length 36864 filesize 150000
[IGFB][INFO ] [Flip_Transaction] FB0: Flipping display with wsaa 1 flipped from 1920 x 1080 -> 1920 x 1080 on 4137a000 with 1 options at stride 7680

These are the messages I am getting when plugging in the HDMI
And this is my current config(the one you gave me) but it seems I'm only getting FB0 information.
Try to change BusId for port 1

Try to change BusId for port 1
It worked! By changing the Index1 of your config to Bus-id 1 and then, the boot arg agdpmod=vit9696. (I previously had pikera, and if I try that one again, won't work anymore). Thank you so much for all your help!
Though there are still some things that are weird (though I can live with them), whenever I plug the HDMI my laptop screen flashes as well, and then whenever I am booting macOs with the HDMI plugged in, the first seconds on my monitor (right before the login screen) the screen is all green. After that everything works perfectly!
If you think there's anything I can do to stop my laptop screen flashing when plugging the HDMI (flashes like 4 times) and then make the monitor display the image instead of Green for the first seconds let me know, if not I'm still very happy about the way it works at the moment. Huge thanks!

It worked! By changing the Index1 of your config to Bus-id 1 and then, the boot arg agdpmod=vit9696. (I previously had pikera, and if I try that one again, won't work anymore). Thank you so much for all your help!
Though there are still some things that are weird (though I can live with them), whenever I plug the HDMI my laptop screen flashes as well, and then whenever I am booting macOs with the HDMI plugged in, the first seconds on my monitor (right before the login screen) the screen is all green. After that everything works perfectly!
If you think there's anything I can do to stop my laptop screen flashing when plugging the HDMI (flashes like 4 times) and then make the monitor display the image instead of Green for the first seconds let me know, if not I'm still very happy about the way it works at the moment. Huge thanks!
Glad it worked for you. Heads up!

The Perfect is the enemy of good. ;)

Ok, I couldn't use hackintool to generate a patch for this issue, so I edit Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite and Coffee Lake CPU config from the first post and modify its values with clover configurator.

Thanks to CaseySJ in this post :

Here is the patch for Gigabyte Z390 UD that worked for me:

Index 3, Bus ID=0x04, Type=HDMI
PlatformID = 0x3E9B0007
DeviceID = 0x3E9B
XML:
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                PpsABw==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                PpsAAA==
                </data>
                <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
                <data>
                BAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-index</key>
                <data>
                AwAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-index</key>
                <data>
                /////w==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
                <data>
                /////w==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAAgA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>

pls you can provide me your EFI folder? I have the same Motherboard but I can't fix

Back