Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I made some changes and still the result. Random black screen that can't be woken. Attached is my latest changes. Can anyone advise?
You're not using Lilu and WhateverGreen?

I see you're using three things to control the Vega:
  • SSDT-RX Vega 64-Version 2.3.aml
  • DAGPM.kext
  • Lots of device properties related to power/fan management
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 12.15.15 PM.png

Suggestion:
  • Temporarily remove all three of the above.
  • Copy Lilu and WhateverGreen to CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Reboot
Does it make any difference?

Because you have a Z-170 system, use of iMac 18,2 with Mojave 10.14.6 is probably the most appropriate sysdef. My recommendation of iMac19,1 and iMacPro1,1 is for Z390-based systems. We find that iMacPro1,1 tends to provide better video editing / rendering performance than iMac19,1.

You're welcome to try both iMac18,2 and iMacPro1,1.

If iGPU will not be used, then there are 2 options:
  1. Disable iGPU completely. This means disable it in BIOS and remove the entire device/properties section related to iGPU.
  2. Keep iGPU enabled, but set it into headless mode. This is done by changing ig-platform-id to the correct headless value for your iGPU (maybe 0x59120003). And remove all other WEG parameters except for framebuffer-patch-enable (and of course ig-platform-id).
so according to my screen shot, I'm set up properly for headless and 18.2...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 9.15.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 9.15.46 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Possible problem with Catalina and/or latest WhateverGreen
***​

Recently we've noticed that on-board HDMI ports are no longer working using the frame buffer patching technique described in this thread. This might be due to changes made in Catalina or in WhateverGreen.

@bktiger86 mentioned that adding WEG boot argument -wegnoepu enabled the on-board HDMI port, but I've not tested this personally (yet). Others are welcome to try this and report their findings.
thanks CaseySJ confirmed HDMI working again strange that -wegnoepu for DGPU works for IGPU

Thanks @CaseySJ that works... i'm trying add a second monitor to my h170m-plus board with hd530 and after running the steps from first post i loose the main display, starting with -wegnoepu solve that issue.

However i still can't attach a second display.. the board have hdmi, DVI and vga... i only can use the hdmi... any suggestions?

I'm new to the hackintosh and I don't know how to solve the boot problem without using the pendrive.
Can you help me @CaseySJ ?

I'm new to the hackintosh and I don't know how to solve the boot problem without using the pendrive.
Can you help me @CaseySJ ?
Hello @junioapa,
  • Which build guide did you follow?
  • Have you copied the EFI folder from EFI partition of USB install disk to EFI partition of macOS SSD?
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?

Last edited:
Hello @junioapa,
  • Which build guide did you following?
  • Have you copied the EFI folder from EFI partition of USB install disk to EFI partition of macOS SSD?
Which build guide did you following?
-I used the tutorial here from the tonymac website

Have you copied the EFI folder from EFI partition of USB install disk to EFI partition of macOS SSD?
-I didn't copy, I'll do it now.

Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
-Catalina

Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
I haven't used Clover for any purpose yet, only Multbeast after installation.

Hello @junioapa,
  • Which build guide did you follow?
I copied the EFI folder to the SSD folder and now I don't need the USB anymore.
Thank you very much.

But now it is not only about solving the video problem, the system has not even identified my Intel HD Graphics 630.
What should I do ?

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-06-14 às 13.51.36.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-06-14 às 13.51.36.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
You're not using Lilu and WhateverGreen?

I see you're using three things to control the Vega:
  • SSDT-RX Vega 64-Version 2.3.aml
  • DAGPM.kext
  • Lots of device properties related to power/fan management
View attachment 475891

Suggestion:
  • Temporarily remove all three of the above.
  • Copy Lilu and WhateverGreen to CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Reboot
Does it make any difference?

I had hopes that it was working, but it just went to black screen after 36 hours or so.

I am now trying "headless mode" though I do not really understand the implications or difference.

I have changed my device properties to just be:

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                BwCbPg==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Is this right?

Edit:

I might have this wrong, but "AwCYPg==" is 0x3E9B0007 and "BwCbPg==" is 0x3E980003 right?

Which one is correct for me?

Does ioreg report the injected value or the detected value? Attached is what mine looks like right now. Is it right?

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 17.42.30.png

EDIT:

Well, the headless crashed pretty quickly. I have changed it to "AwCYPg==" just as a process of elimination...

I also noticed that DRM in Safari does not work at this site:https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm
It says FairPlay, and shows loading, but never plays. Works in Chrome.

Edit 2:

Changing to AwCYPg== did not have any effect.

Is there no way to make this work?

Last edited:
Hi all,

@CaseySJ

I'm setting up an Asus Rog Strix H370-I Gaming with an i5 9400.
I've used the preset available in Hackintool for the Asus Rog Striz B360-I Gaming motherboard that's pretty similar to the H370.

The 2 ports, one DP the other HDMI, work but when I boot using HDMI, after the driver loads, the screen becomes black.
I have to unplug and then re-plug the HDMI cable to have the image appear. This happens any system boot.
If I boot from the DP port then the image doesn't disappear. Thing is this PC is connected to a TV with HDMi cable only so I have to boot it this way.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks.

UPDATE:
Now after updating to Catalina 10.15.5 the iGPU settings no longer work.
DP at Bus ID 0x01 works BURT HDMI at Bus Id 0x02 doesn't work anymore. Regardless of what value I use as Bus ID for HDMi this port is just black.

Last edited:
Back