Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I am also on 10.15.5.
Shall we downgrade? I think this is a no-go.

EDIT: Try @e285ne 's suggestion here first if you're not using the latest Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. If that doesn't work...

When you tried spoofing device-id = 0x00003E92 (reverse byte order: device-id 0x923E0000), did you also try the associated 3E92XXXX framebuffer values
  • 0x3E920000 (Reverse byte order: 0x0000923E)
  • 0x3E920009 (Reverse byte order: 0x0900923E)

Hey guys thanks for the replies, yeah I'm on latest WEG and Lilu.
Tried all the framebuffers (platform-id), and also spoofing the device-id :'(

Actually I was the one who rolled back :)
But I have a different CPU/GPU i5-8265u with UHD620

@ffs-whatever
I looked into your EFI and you seem to be using WEG 1.3.9

I have i5 9400 / Asus Prime Z390-P and I'm running 0x3e9b0000 on 10.15.5 (DP Port)
But I still haven't fixed HDMI port
Try it out maybe this helps

You don't need to spoof device-id afaik
If you are using a 9th generation Coffee Lake Refresh processor, it is necessary to fake device-id 923E0000 for IGPU. Starting with macOS 10.14.4 the fake is not necessary.

The say Apple did changes to AppleIntelCFLGraficsFramebuffer.kext and AppleIntelCFLGraphicsVAME.bundle which has broken the patch. Maybe these are rumors but rollback to previous(actually I don't know, I haven't checked it, I downloaded the files from the net) version helped me (core i5-8265u) and fixed my HDMI.
I'm not sure this is good idea, but I checked it, it worked for me
Then I had security patch installed which has overwritten these files back to 10.15.5 apparently and I left them alone as I have HDMI hub and actually making the HDMI port work was primarily kind of a challenge :)

@ffs-whatever
I looked into your EFI and you seem to be using WEG 1.3.9
Yeah, that was before updating now, I'm 200% sure I'm on the latest.

So, how does one simply downgrade? :D I am trying everything so why not!
Do I need to do a full reinstall starting from an older installer?

I use clonezilla
Where did you get the WEG file?
Look in you EFI/OC/kexts/WhateverGreen.kext/Contents/Info.plist
I see 1.3.9 there

Ok if you're sure that it's latest, try the FB @deeveedee has offered
Then you could try the one that worked for me (see above) but it seems to be for mobile afaik
I'm also using force-online but you should be able to go without it

Attachments

• Screenshot at Jun 03 21-06-15.png
    Screenshot at Jun 03 21-06-15.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I use clonezilla

Ah so you restored a previous install... No luck for me then :(

I see 1.3.9 there

Yeah I've updated yesterday after seeing the alldata fix, thanks for taking the effort to check it out tho!

Schermata 2020-06-03 alle 16.04.22.png

Right now I've actually built it from source using Lilu and Friends.

Ah so you restored a previous install... No luck for me then :(

Yeah I've updated yesterday after seeing the alldata fix, thanks for taking the effort to check it out tho!

View attachment 473485

Right now I've actually built it from source using Lilu and Friends.
Yeah, I'm a former SysOp and currently I'm a DevOps so I love backups :)

Ok attach your current EFI folder zipped maybe we'll see something
I'm a no pro but maybe you are too close to the project and simply overlooking something

Yeah, I'm a former SysOp and currently I'm a DevOps so I love backups :)
LOL this is my first install so I couldn't possibly have one... I'll make sure to rsync the whole drive as soon as it works as expected :D

Anyhow, if anybody has a solution for => this <= or can at least confirm that is a no-go on 10.15.5.

At this point I am seriously considering sticking a dGPU in there just to end all this pain (It's been a week of trials till 4AM), but I would still be bugged by not understanding what's going on.

At this point I am seriously considering sticking a dGPU in there just to end all this pain (It's been a week of trials till 4AM), but I would still be bugged by not understanding what's going on.

That's what I did, I could not get any life out of the HDMI port no matter what I tried. I went with this one, only $109 and it's way more powerful than the IGPU:

Bonus is it's small and doesn't require any PCI-E power lines. (both of my main ones are already consumed by the RTX 2080 Ti for the Windows (VR) side.

Back