Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I can't make it work on Gigabyte z270n Gaming 5 with i7-7700T. Always black screen or no acceleration. I use 00001259 as platform. Anyone has similar CPU and made it work? there is no dGPU in the system, just iGPU HD630
Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS are you running on the Z270N Gaming 5?
  • What SMBIOS are you using? iMac18,1, iMac18,3, etc.?
  • Does the DisplayPort work?
  • If so, please post a screenshot of the Hackintool Patch --> Connectors page showing the DisplayPort in red.
  • We can go from there.

macOS 10.15.4, iMac18,1. I didn't test the DisplayPort, I don't have a cable.

Hello @Thaigyver,

Because About this Mac shows Intel i3 (which is what matters), I think Hackintool might have a bug. Please try version 3.3.7. Also open System Information --> Graphics/Displays and see what macOS shows there. You should use iMac19,1 if possible.

Regarding signature, just use this option and you can enter your system name, motherboard, CPU, and GPU information in free-form:

View attachment 463114
@CaseySJ, Thanks for all the info and help.

I updated Hackintool to v3.3.7 and still get the same value. Jaymonkey also responded and said this was cosmetic only, so I will not spend a lot of time to change it in Hackintool.

I am already using iMac 19,1 and in "About This Mac" my "System Report/Graphics/Display" is showing the correct Intel UHD Graphics 630.

And thank you for the tip regarding my signature. It worked after erasing the build signature and only using Signature in free form. Seems you can only use one or the other.

Thank you for this guide.
I'm having a problem with my Hackintosh but I don't know the real issue.

First case when I try to boot my Hackintosh:
After updating from Catalina 10.15.1 to Catalina 10.15.4 the screen turned to black and to get it to work I need to unplug the HDMI jack and plug it again in the motherboard.

The second case when I try to boot from USB:
I get an error:
[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver.
I tried to make exactly like this guide but when I try to boot it looks like that there is an infinite loop for configuring IGPU.

Specs:
Clover bootloader: 5112
Clover configurator: 5.10.0.0
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU: Intel i5-8400
IGPU: Intel UHD 630
Lilu: 1.4.3
WhateverGreen: 1.3.8

Please how to solve this problem?

Hello, I have a Dell Insprion 7720 17R Special Edition, upgraded with an i7 3840qm CPU and Intel HD4000. The laptop has HDMI and VGA.

I had no luck getting HDMI to work. The dsdt.aml I'm using was patched to 0x01660004, mobile, 1 output. The original value is 0x01660009, mobile, three outputs. If I'm changing to this, only the internal display is working (including BIOS and bootlogo), in the middle of the booting process the laptop display is black and the HDMI output is active. I've connected an LG TV, an underscan slider is shown but not working. I can't see the menu bar.

Of course I tried lots with Hackintool and so on, but nothing worked, not even the 2G VRAM patch. This worked by manually patching the kexts but I want to avoid this. HDMI audio is also not working. I'm using VoodooHDA, but AppleALC would be nice because it should be possible to get the subwoofer working. The audio chipset is IDT 92HD91Bxx. I've attached my Clover configuration.

The Dell 7720 is really a nice laptop and probably one of the few which can be upgraded to 10 TB of SSDs - 14 if you remove the DVD drive.

Greets, naquaada.

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.1 KB · Views: 67
Hello! my dell 5591 i3-10110u works with 0x3E9B0000 (and 0x3E9B0009) with internal LVDS or type-с - DP external monitor (sometimes even both but not stable) but i am not able to make HDMI 1.4 onboard port work following guide (osx 10.15.4) i have
Port 0 (Index 0) is lvds - GREEN
Port ? (Index 1?) is HDMI? - NEVER ACTIVE
Port 6 (Index 2) is DisplayPort - RED
I tried BusID 0x01 0x02 0x04 0x05 (0x06 - and DP to 0x04) but it never active - sometmes even DP doesn't start

All other was constant - framebuffer-con1-type 00080000 framebuffer-con1-pipe 09000000 framebuffer-con1-flags 87010000 .. maybe i should play with pipe/flags too ??? Or maybe hdmi connector is con3 in my case?
Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 22.14.42.png

ps if i choose framebuffer - current version under HACKINTOOL - it crashes< but i have catalina not 10.14

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide.
I'm having a problem with my Hackintosh but I don't know the real issue.

First case when I try to boot my Hackintosh:
After updating from Catalina 10.15.1 to Catalina 10.15.4 the screen turned to black and to get it to work I need to unplug the HDMI jack and plug it again in the motherboard.

The second case when I try to boot from USB:
I get an error:
[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver.
I tried to make exactly like this guide but when I try to boot it looks like that there is an infinite loop for configuring IGPU.

Specs:
Clover bootloader: 5112
Clover configurator: 5.10.0.0
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU: Intel i5-8400
IGPU: Intel UHD 630
Lilu: 1.4.3
WhateverGreen: 1.3.8

Please how to solve this problem?
If this problem still exists, please post your config.plist but remove serial number from SMBIOS before uploading.

Hello, I have a Dell Insprion 7720 17R Special Edition, upgraded with an i7 3840qm CPU and Intel HD4000. The laptop has HDMI and VGA.

I had no luck getting HDMI to work. The dsdt.aml I'm using was patched to 0x01660004, mobile, 1 output. The original value is 0x01660009, mobile, three outputs. If I'm changing to this, only the internal display is working (including BIOS and bootlogo), in the middle of the booting process the laptop display is black and the HDMI output is active. I've connected an LG TV, an underscan slider is shown but not working. I can't see the menu bar.

Of course I tried lots with Hackintool and so on, but nothing worked, not even the 2G VRAM patch. This worked by manually patching the kexts but I want to avoid this. HDMI audio is also not working. I'm using VoodooHDA, but AppleALC would be nice because it should be possible to get the subwoofer working. The audio chipset is IDT 92HD91Bxx. I've attached my Clover configuration.

The Dell 7720 is really a nice laptop and probably one of the few which can be upgraded to 10 TB of SSDs - 14 if you remove the DVD drive.

Greets, naquaada.
Hello @naquaada,

Dell laptops are quite well supported on YouTube and GitHub. There are many videos and repositories, particularly for Dell 9xxx laptops. Even if your particular laptop is not one of them, it's still possible to learn from the EFI repositories and see what clues can be learned.

Hello! my dell 5591 i3-10110u works with 0x3E9B0000 (and 0x3E9B0009) with internal LVDS or type-с - DP external monitor (sometimes even both but not stable) but i am not able to make HDMI 1.4 onboard port work following guide (i have 10.15.6) i have
Port 0 (Index 0) is lvds - GREEN
Port ? (Index 1?) is HDMI? - NEVER ACTIVE
Port 6 (Index 2) is DisplayPort - RED
I tried BusID 0x01 0x02 0x04 0x05 (0x06 - and DP to 0x04) but it never active - sometmes even DP doesn't start

All other was constant - framebuffer-con1-type 00080000 framebuffer-con1-pipe 09000000 framebuffer-con1-flags 87010000 .. maybe i should play with pipe/flags too ??? Or maybe hdmi connector is con3 in my case?
View attachment 464039
ps if i choose framebuffer - current version under HACKINTOOL - it crashes< but i have catalina not 10.14
Hello @PabloLi,

You have one of the newest laptops! Please do this:
  • Remove the frame buffer patches from config.plist
  • Reboot -- your LVDS (built-in) screen should still be okay
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... to save the IOReg file.
  • Upload that file.
It might provide some clues about the video ports.

Back