Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

however, have noticed it also happens whenever any switch in my house is turned on or off.
Consult an electrician, nothing that you do on the computer will resolve that problem.

Wow it worked on GIGABYTE H370M-DS3H

I can't make it work on Gigabyte z270n Gaming 5 with i7-7700T. Always black screen or no acceleration. I use 00001259 as platform. Anyone has similar CPU and made it work? there is no dGPU in the system, just iGPU HD630

@CaseySJ, Great instructional post on Framebuffer Patching. Also, a big thanks to headkaze for Hackintool and jaymonkey for both Lilu and Whatevergreen. I have learned a lot more on my second build.

Second and Current Build:
ASRock B365M Pro 4
Core i3-9100
Intel UHD 630

I have read through the General Framebuffer Patch Guide a couple times getting ready to give it a go, but I am left with one question from my end before I begin. I did my best to try to find an answer to this on the forum, but I did not find anything. In the "About This Mac" my graphics show up as Intel UHD 630 as it should. But when looking at the Framebuffer Patching Guide, Step #6, using Hackintool to determine if the proper display patch is being used, I am getting an odd value, "Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model". Pics attached.

If anyone has any ideas why it says that or if it is not important, I would appreciate the help

I have tried using different system definitions, such as macmini8,1, iMac19,1 and iMac19,2. Nothing changes with these different system definitions.

And, just as a side question as I am trying to learn more about using this forum, I have my first system build showing to the left. When I try to add my second build under "Build Signature", you can see that the MB just comes up as "Other". I understand it is not available as a choice as it is not on the recommended parts guide. Is there a way to manually put this information in? I see many members with many different types of build information in their signature.

Thanks
Thaigyver

Attachments

• About This Mac.png
    About This Mac.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 69
  • HKNTL 1.png
    HKNTL 1.png
    110 KB · Views: 68
Hello, I am trying to patch my HDMI based on this guide, on my Dell XPS 15 9560 4k i7-7700HQ, HD630 and GTX 1050 (disabled).
If I plug in the HDMI the built in screen turns black a few times for a couple sec, but in the external 4k monitor I get no signal.
What you should know, that this notebook only has HDMI 1.4 port, so only 4k@30Hz should work. It has an USB-C port also, but I don't have the cables for it.
I have tried whatevergreen enable-hdmi20, disabled-external-gpu, enable-hdmi-dividers-fix, enabled-dpcd-max-link-rate-fix, with no luck. Actually what I always get is a no signal on the external monitor.
The HDMI should work, because when I boot up the system with my HDMI plugged in I got picture only in the external screen, but after logging in, in a few seconds the system reboots.

I attach my clover folder, maybe someone can help.
Have you experimented with different Platform IDs and Bus IDs?

Also note that there are several complete EFI folders for Dell XPS 9xxx laptops on both YouTube and GitHub. It's good to examine the config.plist in those folders, specifically the Devices --> Properties section, to see how they're activating the external video ports.

In the "About This Mac" my graphics show up as Intel UHD 630 as it should. But when looking at the Framebuffer Patching Guide, Step #6, using Hackintool to determine if the proper display patch is being used, I am getting an odd value, "Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model".

@Thaigyver,

Thats the PCIe device descriptor text which Hackintool scrapes from a on-line PCIe Vendor & Device database.
Quite often the IGPU device descriptor text tends to be CPU generation generic and not IGPU specific.

There is no way to change it in Hackintool as it's only displaying what is in the on-line database. However if the "model" device Property for the IGPU has been set in your config.plist then you will notice the same IGPU name in the PCI list in About this Mac -> System Report -> PCI. Some Third party apps also use the "model" device property to display the IGPU device name (such as iStat Menus).

You can fix that issue by doing the following :-
  1. Open your config.plist in an editor
  2. Find the "Properties" sub-section of the "Devices" section of the config.plist
  3. Find the IGPU Device Properties which will be under <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
  4. Edit the <string> value for the IGPU Device Property "model"
  5. Set it to something like"Intel UHD 630 Graphics" (make sure that it starts with "Intel")
  6. Save and reboot
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@CaseySJ, Great instructional post on Framebuffer Patching. Also, a big thanks to headkaze for Hackintool and jaymonkey for both Lilu and Whatevergreen. I have learned a lot more on my second build.

Second and Current Build:
ASRock B365M Pro 4
Core i3-9100
Intel UHD 630

I have read through the General Framebuffer Patch Guide a couple times getting ready to give it a go, but I am left with one question from my end before I begin. I did my best to try to find an answer to this on the forum, but I did not find anything. In the "About This Mac" my graphics show up as Intel UHD 630 as it should. But when looking at the Framebuffer Patching Guide, Step #6, using Hackintool to determine if the proper display patch is being used, I am getting an odd value, "Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model". Pics attached.

If anyone has any ideas why it says that or if it is not important, I would appreciate the help

I have tried using different system definitions, such as macmini8,1, iMac19,1 and iMac19,2. Nothing changes with these different system definitions.

And, just as a side question as I am trying to learn more about using this forum, I have my first system build showing to the left. When I try to add my second build under "Build Signature", you can see that the MB just comes up as "Other". I understand it is not available as a choice as it is not on the recommended parts guide. Is there a way to manually put this information in? I see many members with many different types of build information in their signature.

Thanks
Thaigyver
Hello @Thaigyver,

Because About this Mac shows Intel i3 (which is what matters), I think Hackintool might have a bug. Please try version 3.3.7. Also open System Information --> Graphics/Displays and see what macOS shows there. You should use iMac19,1 if possible.

Regarding signature, just use this option and you can enter your system name, motherboard, CPU, and GPU information in free-form:

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 5.25.25 AM.png

Last edited:
Dear community,
This is a long pending display issue, I'm facing since Mojave and now also on Catalina as well.
The monitor blacks out for few seconds, no pattern to it... however, have noticed it also happens whenever any switch in my house is turned on or off... The blackout happens too often while I transfer data between my external HDD as well and I can't do anything else.

My System Config:
Asus Motherboard: B85M-G
Processor: i5-4460
Graphics: HD4600
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0412
Revision ID: 0x0006
Memory: 24 GB DDR3
Monitor: BenQ VZ2350 (Using HDMI port, tried other HDMI cables... same issue))
All Kexts are updated to latest release: AppleALC (1.4.8), FakeSMC (1800), Lilu (1.4.3), RealtekRTL8111 (2.2.2), USBInjectall (0.7.5), WhateverGreen(1.3.8)
Clover: 5108 (skipped 5109 due to issues as per forum)

Have also attached my config.plist along with Framebuffer, connector & patch screenshots (from Hackintool) to help me for any change in the settings required to fix the issue. Please help me if any further detail is required.
Any help in this regard is appreciated.View attachment 460929View attachment 460930View attachment 460928
Some suggestions:
  • What is the size of your power supply unit? 550W? 650W? 750W?
  • Are the computer and monitor both plugged into the same wall outlet?
  • If the computer -- when running macOS -- performs a function that consumes a lot of power then it's possible that other equipment on the same wall outlet might see some voltage swings.
  • As you know, the main circuit breaker in a home or building has a small number of 15A, 20A, 30A, 40A, and 50A breakers. General purpose wall outlets in the US are supplied by 15A and 20A breakers. The higher amperage breakers are used for power-hungry large appliances such as electric cooktops, wall ovens, heaters, etc.
    • However, one 15A or 20A breaker connects to multiple wall outlets. If you have other power hungry devices on the same breaker, they could be interfering.
  • Given the symptoms you described, I would recommend:
    • Moving other devices to other circuit breakers or turning them off to see if it helps.
    • Moving the computer and monitor to another room or another floor (which should move it to another breaker) and see if it helps.
    • Using a 1000W or higher UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that has a voltage regulator. Many CyberPower models feature AVS (automatic voltage stabilizer).

@Thaigyver,

Thats the PCIe device descriptor text which Hackintool scrapes from a on-line PCIe Vendor & Device database.
Quite often the IGPU device descriptor text tends to be CPU generation generic and not IGPU specific.
It's purely a cosmetic issue and very common.

You can set that to whatever you want by doing the following :-
  1. Open your config.plist in an editor
  2. Find the "Properties" sub-section of the "Devices" section of the config.plist
  3. Find the IGPU Device Properties which will be under <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
  4. Edit the <string> value for the IGPU Device Property "model"
  5. Set it to something like"Intel UHD 630 Graphics" (make sure that it starts with "Intel")
  6. Save and reboot
Cheers
Jay
@jaymonkey, Thanks for the info and the very quick response. You made this simple and fast.

Last edited:
Back