Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

With this config, on apple loading screen, in the middle of the loading I get blackscreen for 1 second and the come back with a correct resolution, finish the loading and open Mojave without problem. But I was looking for a perfect boot without this second of black screen.

@Maesito,

Thats pretty normal .... when you first boot up your system the BIOS, Clover and the initial loading of MacOS all use the VESA drivers built in to the VBIOS of the GPU. About half way through loading MacOS the native GPU drivers are loaded. The black screen your seeing is caused by the initialisation of the drivers and the system switching from a VESA mode to a Native Driver Mode.

Depending upon the type of GPU and the amount of VRAM it has this black screen can be anywhere from a few seconds to almost instant. For example on my desktop system which has a AMD Vega 64 the black screen delay is about 3 seconds, on my laptop that has a HD 620 IGPU its around 1 second.

If the native drivers fail to completely initialise or are incorrectly configured then the black screen persists, with a IGPU this is ether due to the system using the wrong framebuffer/driver, or that the defined connectors in the selected framebuffer miss-match the physical display connectors on the motherboard which is the issue specifically addressed by the guide at the start of this thread.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks for ALL! @maclinuxg4 and @jaymonkey

After this trouble and with your help, I learned a bit more of Hackintosh world. I really appreciate your patience.

Cheers!

UPDATE: I got it working. Thanks for all your help, Casey!

I began by setting all ports to BusID 0x04 and Type HDMI. When I did this I noticed that Screen Share showed three screens and, more importantly, my external monitor was flickering between a black screen and an image of the desktop. I assumed the image on my external monitor was cycling through the three desktops I was seeing in Screen Share. This was encouraging because one of those port/bus combinations had to be working. I then systematically went through enabling a port and setting the others to 0x00 until I found a working solution. It ended up being port 7. The image and device xml is below.

Note: Because this motherboard is only HDMI 1.4 I disabled did not select VRAM or HDMI20 patching. However, I did test with the VRAM patch and that seems to work fine.

XML:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <integer>16</integer>
            <key>ResetHDA</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                BwCbPg==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                kj4AAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
                <data>
                BAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
                <data>
                AACQAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAwAQ==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAAgA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>

My RX 580 died and im going crazy trying to get video with onboard iGPU, can't boot to OS so its imposible to edit the config with Hackintool. I've the same board, can you share your clover config please? Thanks in advance

Wow!! by far the most informative tutorial on fixing UHD 630
Been struggling for long time.
Fixed my issue of not getting acceleration from i3 8100 UHD 630.

My Machine:
CPU: 13 8100
MacOS: Catalina 10.15.2
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming M
GPU: Intel iGPU UHD 630

Used Hackintool to load system config for my Motherboard and worked 100%
What works works: iGPU, Audio, Ethernet

Last edited:
Running a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi and Intel i9-9900k with only the iGPU. I'm happy to report the System Preset for Z390 Aorus Master worked! If you're on similar specs, I recommend trying that preset.

Prior to this guide I was having issues getting the mobo's one HDMI Port to output.

Strangely when I was trying to manually do this, Index 2 was lit red when I plugged in the HDMI Cable. After I applied this patch (which I see has hdmi on Index 3), now Index 3 is lit red.

Thanks for this guide and all the hard work you all put into this! <3

Hello. I hope all of you are well. I have a ASUS H170I-PRO motherboard with the i7-6700 (Skylake) with integrated Intel 530 GPU running Mojave 10.14.6 using the iMac 17,1 as the model. Everything is working fine, except for dual monitor support. The motherboard has 4 connectors, VGA, DP, HDMI and DVI. I have two of the same monitors ASUS PB238 connected, one via HDMI, and the other via DVI.

When I power the box on, both monitors turn on, and half way through the boot process, the monitor connected to the DVI turns off (black), and the other monitor connected via HDMI continues. Once everything boots up, the System Information app sees two monitors (see screenshot #1). I am also attaching a screenshot of hackintool with the connectors properly showing up.

Any ideas why the monitor connected to the DVI is turning off?

Thanks so much!!!

-Sprinter

Attachments

• systeminfo.jpg
    systeminfo.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 124
  • hackintool-connectors.jpg
    hackintool-connectors.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 124
Hi there, i am tryn to get VGA working on a HP pre built ProDesk 400 G4, kabylake 7700. System has 1 VGA and 1 DP, DP works out of the box but i cant get VGA out. I tried various patches to AGDP disable but im unsure about these, as they are not mentioned in this guide.

If i boot with VGA attached, default ID 59120000 shows only the DP display. But if i select the 59260002 ID , INDEX 0 shows up and lights up red, showing the name of the display that is attached to the VGA port; i change it from LSVD to DP and try all the ID 02 04 06 (05 is my DP display already), but i get no output anyway. Ofc when i select 0x04 on index 0 i change index 2 to be 0x02 - I tried this with both ADGP patches on and off.

Any idea?

Should i remove Whatevergreen altogether from the system folder? I am afraid to lose boot and alsohaving to test all the patches once again..

UPDATE: i found a config.plist that actually changes something..kernel panic on boot. I guess that's a progress.
Also tried different busID with imac14.2 smbios, no changes, all KP
attached as configKP.plist

all kext are updated to latest version

side note, audio is not working yet, but i will probably use voodoohda anyway

UPDATE 2 audio works with layout id 23

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 00.35.25.png
    Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 00.35.25.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 00.36.59.png
    Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 00.36.59.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 107
  • config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 92
  • configKP.plist
    8.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I'm having a slight issue while attempting to boot using this config.plist.

First off, I'm on a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi, and the only output available on it is 1 HDMI port. I managed to boot into it using HDMI by using a fake platform ID (19120000) and found that my HDMI port uses 0x00. I'm not sure if that's possible since it only mentions 01-06 (sans 03) as applicable ports. But that's what it tells me.

Anyways, when I applied the patch to my config.plist, I attempted to boot into it, and it gave me a black screen again. I booted using the DisplayPort on my GPU (it's a GTX 1660 so it's unsupported but still manages to boot the OS). However, during the boot, the bar under the Apple logo goes to about the 2/3 mark and freezes. Unfortunately I forgot to debug so I didn't see what it got hung up on, but I can go back into it if need if you'd like to see it. I have to revert back to my old config in order to boot properly.

I'll add the config I patched for others to take a look at. I'm running an 8 core i7 9700k with UHD 630. I just need to get the integrated graphics working and I'll have a fully (or at least almost fully) working Hackintosh since everything else is working without issue. The only other issue I have is that I'm unable to boot without a USB drive but it's not all that important.

So, hopefully I can have some help. I've been trying to fix the graphics for days without success. I even started from scratch and fixed other issues but the graphical ones remain.

UPDATE: Fixed it based on @dylanlive's suggestion! It's finally fully functional! I am so happy!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm having a slight issue while attempting to boot using this config.plist.

First off, I'm on a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi, and the only output available on it is 1 HDMI port. I managed to boot into it using HDMI by using a fake platform ID (19120000) and found that my HDMI port uses 0x00. I'm not sure if that's possible since it only mentions 01-06 (sans 03) as applicable ports. But that's what it tells me.

Anyways, when I applied the patch to my config.plist, I attempted to boot into it, and it gave me a black screen again. I booted using the DisplayPort on my GPU (it's a GTX 1660 so it's unsupported but still manages to boot the OS). However, during the boot, the bar under the Apple logo goes to about the 2/3 mark and freezes. Unfortunately I forgot to debug so I didn't see what it got hung up on, but I can go back into it if need if you'd like to see it. I have to revert back to my old config in order to boot properly.

I'll add the config I patched for others to take a look at. I'm running an 8 core i7 9700k with UHD 630. I just need to get the integrated graphics working and I'll have a fully (or at least almost fully) working Hackintosh since everything else is working without issue. The only other issue I have is that I'm unable to boot without a USB drive but it's not all that important.

So, hopefully I can have some help. I've been trying to fix the graphics for days without success. I even started from scratch and fixed other issues but the graphical ones remain.

UPDATE: Fixed it based on @dylanlive's suggestion! It's finally fully functional! I am so happy!!!!!!!

To the comment about not being able to boot without the USB drive is a common error, don't worry, I made this error too! You installed the Clover bootloader onto the USB EFI instead of the EFI on the disk with macOS installed. Install Clover onto the disk macOS is installed on and you will be able to boot into macOS without the USB drive

To the comment about not being able to boot without the USB drive is a common error, don't worry, I made this error too! You installed the Clover bootloader onto the USB EFI instead of the EFI on the disk with macOS installed. Install Clover onto the disk macOS is installed on and you will be able to boot into macOS without the USB drive
I actually did install the Clover bootloader onto both the USB and the partitioned SSD. However, despite reformatting it, the BIOS still incorrectly shows Ubuntu (which I had installed temporarily) as a boot option, which when selected leads me right back into the boot menu since it’s no longer installed. I can’t figure out how to remove it and replace it with Clover bootloader. It had worked before but stopped working after installing Mojave in place of High Sierra. Nothing I do works unfortunately.

Back