Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Hi @CaseySJ

I download the config file from your setting on page 88, and just re-generate serial numbers

here is my BIOS setting,

I think your article is very clear, but I still cannot work ..... so sad

View attachment 428239

View attachment 428241
Your config file is perfectly fine. Here are some additional factors:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts should be installed in /Library/Extensions (and then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches).
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts should also be copied to CLOVER/kexts/Other in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.
  • We also recommend Clover 4961 or newer.
  • The HDMI cable must be certified for HDMI 1.4b or higher because you're using a 4K monitor.
  • If you are using an LG flat screen television, you will have to disable UHD Color or HDR mode or HDR Wide Color. Please refer to the LG owner's manual for instructions on connecting a PC.
  • It may also be necessary to connect Hackintosh to a Gaming HDMI Port (or low latency HDMI port) if the television has such a port for gaming consoles.

hi @CaseySJ

thanks for your tips,

the root cause is my LG screen setting, "HDMI ULTRA Deep Color", is enabled.

and I disabled it, then restart computer, screen light up : )

thank you again.

Your config file is perfectly fine. Here are some additional factors:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts should be installed in /Library/Extensions (and then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches).
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts should also be copied to CLOVER/kexts/Other in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.
  • We also recommend Clover 4961 or newer.
  • The HDMI cable must be certified for HDMI 1.4b or higher because you're using a 4K monitor.
  • If you are using an LG flat screen television, you will have to disable UHD Color or HDR mode or HDR Wide Color. Please refer to the LG owner's manual for instructions on connecting a PC.
  • It may also be necessary to connect Hackintosh to a Gaming HDMI Port (or low latency HDMI port) if the television has such a port for gaming consoles.

Sorry for the late reply... life has been hectic :) Hope you can suggest a fix atm, im using the 2 DP i just need the last VGA port for the third monitor :)

@CaseySJ any chance on a fix?

Hey everyone, not sure if this guide can help me too much as it's not intended for dual monitor setups with a GPU. Gigabyte RX580 works fine when connected to HDMI just out of the box. The moment I connect my second monitor to the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adapter it casts purple. I know it's not my cords or adapter because when I boot Windows everything works no purple cast. Is it the adapter that Mojave doesn't like? What's a possible solution? My monitors (Both Asus VP228) only support HDMI, DVI & VGA. Can someone please give me some direction what I should do?

Much appreciated.

I finally succeeded with this guide after installing last Mojave and make my system working with HDMI port.

Now I'm trying to switch my resolution from 60 hz to higher. But is it even possible to set 120hz or 144hz in 2k resolution?

My monitor is ASUS PG279Q and support up to 144hz. I tried make in Windows HDMI@144hz and it's working.

Maybe I should try use DisplayPort instead HDMI for this purpose?

The moment I connect my second monitor to the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adapter it casts purple. I know it's not my cords or adapter because when I boot Windows everything works no purple cast. Is it the adapter that Mojave doesn't like? What's a possible solution? My monitors (Both Asus VP228) only support HDMI, DVI & VGA. Can someone please give me some direction what I should do?

@CMZDLL,

I believe that more current versions of MacOS have dropped support for DVI ... just like they dropped support for VGA some years ago ... try connecting the second monitor using a good quality Display Port to HDMI adapter as DP is fully backwards compatible with HDMI where as DVI is not.

Also make sure you have the latest versions on Lilu + WhatEverGreen installed ...

Cheers
Jay

I'm trying to switch my resolution from 60 hz to higher. But is it even possible to set 120hz or 144hz in 2k resolution?
My monitor is ASUS PG279Q and support up to 144hz. I tried make in Windows HDMI@144hz and it's working.
Maybe I should try use DisplayPort instead HDMI for this purpose?

@AnotherWorld,

Display Port has much higher bandwidth so it is quit possible you need to use it for higher refresh rates ...
If that does not work you may need to use SwitchResX to create a custom display profile with the higher refresh rate.

You can try the free trail version to test that it works before purchasing ...

Cheers
Jay

Display Port has much higher bandwidth so it is quit possible you need to use it for higher refresh rates ...

The problem currently is I can't get signal from DP port overall even using Windows 10. I don't now what the problem is, maybe some mismatch specification with port and my display. But I have signal only from HDMI (of cource I tried plug only one connector and unplug other)

to use SwitchResX to create a custom display profile with the higher refresh rate.

Tried SwitchResX and create a custom resolution. But can't figure out how to apply it. After I restart it writes "is it valid" in custom resolution window.

The problem currently is I can't get signal from DP port overall even using Windows 10. I don't now what the problem is, maybe some mismatch specification with port and my display.

@AnotherWorld,

Thats very strange that the Display Port does not work ... even in Windows.

Have you tried a different DP Cable ?...

CFL UHD 630 is DP V1.4 so make sure that your DP cable is V1.4 and that your monitor supports DP 1.4

Not sure if UHD 630 is capable of driving a monitor above 60Hz ...
Specs for UHD 360 say 4K at 60Hz is the Max ... not sure if Maz Hz will increase with 2K monitor.

SwitchResX should work ...

Make sure your using the -cdfon boot argument as detailed in this guide :-

You need to look at the section titled "High DPI Displays & Dual Monitors" in Chapter 4 ...

Cheers
Jay

Back