Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I use the EFI config.plist of my USB in the EFI of my SSD because I receive a black screen.
I followed your tutorial for the post installation.

I attach all my files from my SSD (I receive black screen with them).
In these files SMBIOS is configured.
Very good. I'll take a look shortly. Meanwhile, please also post a screenshot of your /Library/Extensions folder.

Edit: You copied the /L/E folder in the ZIP file! Ok, no problem. My tutorial is actually for the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. Many parts of that guide cannot be used on your MSI motherboard! Let me see what I can do...

Last edited:
I use the EFI config.plist of my USB in the EFI of my SSD because I receive a black screen.
I followed your tutorial for the post installation.

I attach all my files from my SSD (I receive black screen with them).
In these files SMBIOS is configured.
Please try the attached file. A safer way of doing this is as follows:
  • Find a new 16GB or 32GB USB flash disk. We will erase it so please ensure it's okay to be erased.
  • Insert the USB disk in working Mac or Hack.
  • Run Disk Utility and select View --> Show All Devices.
  • Then select the parent name of the USB disk on the left side.
  • Now click Erase and ensure that you see a dialog box with three selections. Enter/select the following:
    • Name: Test
    • Format: MacOS Journaled (Extended)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Then click Erase to format the USB disk.
  • Now use Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI to mount the EFI partition of the USB disk.
  • Copy the attached EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB disk (check that it's unzipped).
Now:
  • Insert the USB disk on the Hackintosh and press the appropriate Function Key at BIOS Splash screen to invoke the Boot Menu.
  • Select the USB disk.
  • At Clover Boot Menu, choose the standard option: Boot macOS from Mojave
Do you still get a blank screen?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 70
Please try the attached file. A safer way of doing this is as follows:
  • Find a new 16GB or 32GB USB flash disk. We will erase it so please ensure it's okay to be erased.
  • Insert the USB disk in working Mac or Hack.
  • Run Disk Utility and select View --> Show All Devices.
  • Then select the parent name of the USB disk on the left side.
  • Now click Erase and ensure that you see a dialog box with threeselections. Enter/select the following:
    • Name: Test
    • Format: MacOS Journaled (Extended)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Then click Erase to format the USB disk.
  • Now use Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI to mount the EFI partition of the USB disk.
  • Copy the attached EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB disk (check that it's unzipped).
Now:
  • Insert the USB disk on the Hackintosh and press the appropriate Function Key at BIOS Splash screen to invoke the Boot Menu.
  • Select the USB disk.
  • At Clover Boot Menu, choose the standard option: Boot macOS from Mojave
Do you still get a blank screen?

I followed all the instructions in your comment, but I still get a black screen (No video signal)

I followed all the instructions in your comment, but I still get a black screen (No video signal)
Your motherboard also has a DisplayPort output. Please try that — hopefully your monitor has a DP input.

Also check that you are using good quality video cables. For example, HDMI should be certified for HDMI 1.4b or 2.0.

Your motherboard also has a DisplayPort output. Please try that — hopefully your monitor has a DP input.

Also check that you are using good quality video cables. For example, HDMI should be certified for HDMI 1.4b or 2.0.

I use a new amazon basics HDMI 2.0 cable (I think it is of good quality). My monitor is Dell SE2419H, only have HDMI and VGA inputs. Can I use HDMI-DP adapters?

Thank you very much for your help and the time you are dedicating.

I use a new amazon basics HDMI 2.0 cable (I think it is of good quality). My monitor is Dell SE2419H, only have HDMI and VGA inputs. Can I use HDMI-DP adapters?

Thank you very much for your help and the time you are dedicating.
A DisplayPort to VGA cable such as this one might be helpful. If you get video output with this cable, it can allow us to quickly determine the right settings for HDMI. There are also two alternative approaches:
  1. Change HDMI Bus ID from 0x01 to 0x05. This can be done in Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties. Just need to change this:

• Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.11.38 PM.png
      to this:
      Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.11.54 PM.png
  2. Install a screen sharing / remote desktop application such as Team Viewer. When the system boots to a black screen, you should be able to log into the Hackintosh from another computer on your network via the same screen sharing or remote desktop application.
    • Then run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... and upload the saved file.

A DisplayPort to VGA cable such as this one might be helpful. If you get video output with this cable, it can allow us to quickly determine the right settings for HDMI. There are also two alternative approaches:
  1. Change HDMI Bus ID from 0x01 to 0x05. This can be done in Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties. Just need to change this:
  2. Install a screen sharing / remote desktop application such as Team Viewer. When the system boots to a black screen, you should be able to log into the Hackintosh from another computer on your network via the same screen sharing or remote desktop application.
    • Then run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... and upload the saved file.

I tried what you say but teamviewer doesn't start with the black screen.
I'm tried teamviewer with (0x1234567) and starts (automatically), but when use your UEFI zip file (or another without 0x1234567), teamviewer not start.

It seems that the system does not start, I tried to ping too but it cannot resolve host.

I bought an displayport (pc) to HDMI (display) cable in Amazon, it arrives on Monday, if you can't think of what might be happening, on Monday when I connect it I will tell you that it looks.

Thank you so much again :angel:

I tried what you say but teamviewer doesn't start with the black screen.
I'm tried teamviewer with (0x1234567) and starts (automatically), but when use your UEFI zip file (or another without 0x1234567), teamviewer not start.

It seems that the system does not start, I tried to ping too but it cannot resolve host.

I bought an displayport (pc) to HDMI (display) cable in Amazon, it arrives on Monday, if you can't think of what might be happening, on Monday when I connect it I will tell you that it looks.

Thank you so much again :angel:
Can you take a video of the boot process with your smartphone? Because verbose mode is enabled, the log messages might provide a clue.

Can you take a video of the boot process with your smartphone? Because verbose mode is enabled, the log messages might provide a clue.

Ok, I attached it to the comment. I've compress in zip format file because can't upload .MOV files.

Attachments

• MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC I5 9600K Intel UHD 630 (HDMI) Black Screen.zip
    46.7 MB · Views: 101
Thanks for this guide and also to this guide I was able to fix the no HDMI output problem.

But now my problem is when I hot unplug the HDMI from my laptop (external monitor is powered ON while unplugging), my laptop monitor turns black screen only (laptop is still functioning normally,I think...) , I tried closing the LID then open again to see if the display will go back to normal but nothing happens, so I have no choice but to turn OFF and ON again my laptop. After restart and login I connect again my laptop to the external monitor thru HDMI then I tried to cold unplug the HDMI from my laptop (external monitor is powered OFF while unplugging), the display on my laptop return as normal. Now I'm confused which part I did wrong.

I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Last edited:
Back