Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

If your monitor only supports DVI, you might have a more difficult time. We really recommend current-generation monitors with DP 1.2+ and HDMI 1.4+ support.

Nevertheless, you should follow the Procedure in the Guide.

Connect the DVI-D cable to computer and to monitor. Start by setting the Connector Type to HDMI because MacOS considers DVI-D to be a form of HDMI. (And VGA is considered to be a form of DisplayPort.)

You will have to try several experiments. Perhaps like this:

Index 1, BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 3, BusID 0x06, Type HDMI

Apply patches, reboot, see which row lights up in red. If you get black screen, then try next experiment below.

Index 1, BusID 0x02, Type HDMI
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 3, BusID 0x06, Type HDMI

If nothing works, feel free to ask for help. But when you do, please provide this information:
  • Which version of macOS is running? 10.14.4?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Post your config.plist, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer, select File --> Save As... and upload the IOReg file.

I have the motherboard MSI b360m mortar trying to get this UHD 630 to work. I tried the suggestion above but no nothing lights up in red. also tried Index 2, BusID 0x06 Type HDMI + Index 3, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI and got no luck. where do I go from here?

OS version: 10.14.3
monitor: DELL SE2417HG
connector available: HDMI only

Attachments

• EFI-b360m mortar.zip
    27 MB · Views: 75
  • config b360m mortar.plist
    9.4 KB · Views: 79
  • b360m mortar ioreg.ioreg
    10 MB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 1.58.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 1.58.50 AM.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hello, same issue for me, see my post on whatevergreen thread. With hackintoool i can see that 3 monitors are detected, (even with ioreg) but only two are displayed on prefpanes.

@drunkydr : your config.plist seems strange, are you using macbook pro smbios?
With my tiny lenovo (I7-6700T + HD530, using smbios imac 16.1) i have succeeded to have 3 monitors working, until the last patch of OSX 10.14.5 where only two are working.

To be honest, after the installation, my graphics card was only showing 7mb in the VRAM, I followed a tutorial that recommended to use the config.plist that I uploaded.

I've made a large number of changes to your config.plist so please backup the current one and try the new one. Some of the changes are:
  • Switched to iMac17,1
  • Set platform ID to 0x19120000
  • Set device-id to 0x1912
  • Enabled frame buffer connector patches as follows:
    • Index 1: Bus ID 0x05: Type HDMI
    • Index 2: Bus ID 0x04: Type DP
    • Index 3: Bus ID 0x02: Type DP
  • Removed all previous Devices --> Properties
  • Removed all previous Devices --> Add Properties
  • Removed a number of unneeded ACPI patches
No guarantee this will work or whether it will make things worse, but this is a step in the right direction towards cleaning up the config.plist.

Please rename and give it a try. If you encounter problems, it would be good to post your IOReg file by running IORegistryExplorer and simply selecting File --> Save As...

I tested your Config file and the computer reboots every time the load bar is in the middle of the apple's logo.

attached you will find the IOReg.

Update: I tried changing product name on my Config.plist to Imac 17,1, the computer was able to boot, but only the monitor connected to the Displayport is working, I'm going back to my original config.plist.

Attachments

• Jose’s iMac.ioreg
    5.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I tested your Config file and the computer reboots every time the load bar is in the middle of the apple's logo.

attached you will find the IOReg.

Update: I tried changing product name on my Config.plist to Imac 17,1, the computer was able to boot, but only the monitor connected to the Displayport is working, I'm going back to my original config.plist.

View attachment 413323
The Platform ID in effect right now is 0x191B0000. This ID belongs to MacBookPro 13,3 in which the first connector is built-in LCD display (LVDS). With this platform ID, the default settings are:

Index 0 -- LVDS
Index 1 -- DP
Index 2 -- DP
Index -1 -- Dummy

The third port on your system may not be turning on because this platform ID is expecting a built-in (LVDS) display as one of the 3 video connectors.

The Platform ID in effect right now is 0x191B0000. This ID belongs to MacBookPro 13,3 in which the first connector is built-in LCD display (LVDS). With this platform ID, the default settings are:

Index 0 -- LVDS
Index 1 -- DP
Index 2 -- DP
Index -1 -- Dummy

The third port on your system may not be turning on because this platform ID is expecting a built-in (LVDS) display as one of the 3 video connectors.

is there a way of how to modify it or I need to reinstall the OS?

is there a way of how to modify it or I need to reinstall the OS?
It would be better to try Platform ID 0x19120000 once again. This platform ID allows 3 external displays. However, try different sysdefs such as iMac14,2.

By the way, do you really need 3 monitors?!!?

I have the motherboard MSI b360m mortar trying to get this UHD 630 to work. I tried the suggestion above but no nothing lights up in red. also tried Index 2, BusID 0x06 Type HDMI + Index 3, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI and got no luck. where do I go from here?

OS version: 10.14.3
monitor: DELL SE2417HG
connector available: HDMI only
Please backup your existing CLOVER folder and try the attached version.
  • Copy your serial numbers back into SMBIOS before use
This version implements the following connector settings:
  • Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
  • Index 2: BusID 0x05, Type HDMI (physically DVI-D)
  • Index 3: BusID 0x06, Type DP
These settings are guesses based on other MSI boards so they should serve as a starting point. Do any of the rows light up with the new CLOVER folder?

Attachments

• CLOVER-neilryan.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 100
It would be better to try Platform ID 0x19120000 once again. This platform ID allows 3 external displays. However, try different sysdefs such as iMac14,2.

By the way, do you really need 3 monitors?!!?

I gave up on this, I will stay with my dual monitors config, I will try to adapt until I get the Intel NUC.

Thank you for your Help, You guys are awesome !

Last edited:
Please backup your existing CLOVER folder and try the attached version.
  • Copy your serial numbers back into SMBIOS before use
This version implements the following connector settings:
  • Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
  • Index 2: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI (physically DVI-D)
  • Index 3: BusID 0x06, Type DP
These settings are guesses based on other MSI boards so they should serve as a starting point. Do any of the rows light up with the new CLOVER folder?

thanks very much! below is what worked for me eventually. I even tried DVI to HDMI and DP to HDMI, both of them worked.

Index 1, BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
Index 2, BusID 0x02, Type HDMI (DVI)
Index 3, BusID 0x04, Type DP

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 8.31.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 8.31.51 PM.png
    625.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Back