Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Right now I have connected only one HDMI to HDMI direct monitor.
I attach IOReg file.
ps: Tomorrow I try to connect the second monitor with a direct DVI to DVI cable, and let you know
The IOReg file shows that the mobile/laptop platform ID is back: 0x59160000. Because this is a laptop platform ID, it will be difficult to identify the DVI and DP settings.

But at least we know that HDMI is at Port 0x06 (Index 2). So this is good (confirmed).

It will be necessary to switch to Platform ID 0x59120000 for the remaining tests with DVI and DP cables and using the config.plist from my previous replies.

Updated to 10.14.5 beta 4 and it looks like all graphical issues are fixed. Booted with successfully with both monitors connected.

And now Sleep isn't working. I swear it's always something.

EDIT: Sleep does work, it just doesn't work when Final Cut Pro is rendering.

Last edited:
Let me see if I understand what you mean:
  1. When you connect IGPU and DGPU to two monitors, both of them display the Apple Boot Logo at startup (as they should).
  2. One monitor is Primary and the other is Secondary. Primary monitor will get the Mojave Login screen. The other will not.
  3. So if RX 580 is the Primary and IGPU is the Secondary, then system boots and operates fine.
  4. But if IGPU is the Primary and DGPU is the Secondary, it means you went to System Preferences --> Displays and moved the "white menu bar" from the RX580 monitor the IGPU monitor in order to switch the primary and secondary monitors, and then booted.
  5. The other option is to set BIOS --> Initial Display Output to IGFX and disconnect the video cable from the RX 580. Then Mojave sees only 1 monitor, and it makes it the primary.
So if scenario 5 is the problem, but scenarios 3 and 4 are okay, then it means Mojave is having a problem using the iGPU as a Primary display.

Which of these scenarios is the problem scenario? If the problem scenario is something else entirely, please describe...

@CaseySJ sorry if I was not clear

this is the scenario:
IGPu is set in bios as init display

IGPU is connected to hdmi monitor
DGPu is connected to dvi monitor

everything goes well when booting - I have boot screen through HDMI/IGPU monitor then when Mac os kicks in I have login screen in DVI/DGPU monitor and apple logo in HDMI/IGPU, as it should
the system works fine while I still have the blueish apple/loading bar image in the HDMI monitor
btw I'm running High Sierra
ioreg attached

thanks for all the help, i have headless mode working and will probably use it

if you take a look at ioreg and there is some simple answer for why it's not working please tell me, but if there isn't don't waste your time...thank you again
cheers

Attachments

• iMac_20190501.ioreg
    5.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 20190501_235433.jpg
    20190501_235433.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
@CaseySJ sorry if I was not clear

this is the scenario:
IGPu is set in bios as init display

IGPU is connected to hdmi monitor
DGPu is connected to dvi monitor

everything goes well when booting - I have boot screen through HDMI/IGPU monitor then when Mac os kicks in I have login screen in DVI/DGPU monitor and apple logo in HDMI/IGPU, as it should
the system works fine while I still have the blueish apple/loading bar image in the HDMI monitor
btw I'm running High Sierra
ioreg attached

thanks for all the help, i have headless mode working and will probably use it

if you take a look at ioreg and there is some simple answer for why it's not working please tell me, but if there isn't don't waste your time...thank you again
cheers
Knowing that you have an AMD RX 580 and can configure the iGPU for headless operation, I agree that it's not strictly necessary to spend too much more time on this. I'll make some brief comments below...
  • The IOReg output shows that the IGPU is properly configured:
    • Port 0x06 is set to HDMI, Bus ID 0x02 (physically this might be DVI)
    • Port 0x07 is set to HDMI, Bus ID 0x04
  • Some things to try if this is a priority...
    • Different SMBIOS names
    • Different Bus ID values for the HDMI at Port 0x07
    • Removing the RX 580 to see if that makes a difference
  • Upgrading to Mojave

Hello @CaseySJ, today I received the DVI cable. I connected the monitors like this:

DP to DP direct - Works
DVI to DVI direct --- Black monitor
HDMI to HDMI Direct --- Black Monitor
I changed clover configuration from 59160000 to 59120000, I set the ports like this:
index 1 busid 05 - DP
index 2 busid 06 - HDMI
index 3 busid 04 - HDMI
But unfortunately nothing has changed. The only working monitor is the one connected to the Display port

Attachments

• Salvo’s iMac.ioreg
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
Hello @CaseySJ, today I received the DVI cable. I connected the monitors like this:

DP to DP direct - Works
DVI to DVI direct --- Black monitor
HDMI to HDMI Direct --- Black Monitor
I changed clover configuration from 59160000 to 59120000, I set the ports like this:
index 1 busid 05 - DP
index 2 busid 06 - HDMI
index 3 busid 04 - HDMI
But unfortunately nothing has changed. The only working monitor is the one connected to the Display port
The IOReg file shows that once again your settings did not take effect:
  • In the red box we see Platform ID 0x59160000
  • In the blue box we do not see any of the WhateverGreen properties such as:
    • framebuffer-con0-busid
    • framebuffer-con0-type
    • framebuffer-con1-busid
    • framebuffer-con1-type
This means that the config.plist was not installed correctly. You must do this every time:
  • Run Clover Configurator and mount the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.
  • In Finder or on your desktop you will then see an EFI disk icon.
  • Inside the EFI disk will be a folder also called EFI.
  • Inside that is the CLOVER folder.
  • The config.plist must be copied there.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 7.19.22 AM.png
Here is the same IGPU section from a different computer. As you can see, the Framebuffer patches are active:
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 7.25.35 AM.png

With clover I tried to change ig-platform id and restarted the system, but it always remains 59160000. I don't understand where I'm wrong. :(

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 17.21.22.png
    Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 17.21.22.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 17.21.44.png
    Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 17.21.44.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 52
  • config.plist
    9.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Salvo’s iMac.ioreg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
With clover I tried to change ig-platform id and restarted the system, but it always remains 59160000. I don't understand where I'm wrong. :(
Please try the attached config.plist. Framebuffer patches are specified in Devices --> Properties section as shown.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.31.20 AM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 76
I mounted the EFi image with clover, I replaced the conf.plist you sent me, I restarted and the result is: (?????)

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.54.18.png
    Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.54.18.png
    547.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.54.58.png
    Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.54.58.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.55.28.png
    Schermata 2019-05-03 alle 18.55.28.png
    87 KB · Views: 60
I mounted the EFi image with clover, I replaced the conf.plist you sent me, I restarted and the result is: (?????)
The settings have not been applied because platform ID is still 0x59160000 instead of 0x59120000.

Are you booting with the USB disk or booting directly from the Mojave SSD?
  • If the config.plist was saved to EFI partition of Mojave SSD, then you must boot from that disk.
  • If the config.plist was saved to EFI partition of USB install disk, then you must boot from USB disk.
If you have other storages drives in the system, double-check that you are mounting the EFI partition on the Mojave SSD. If in doubt, just capture some screenshots of each step and post...

Back