Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

I'm having issues that are nasty with this board.
I'm not sure what it is.

Motherboard is Asrock Z390M-ITXac, i3 8100, iGPU only, 2x8GB Corsair Ram

What happens is the system freezes. It's all working nicely, then suddenly the system freezes. What's even more annoying is the boot SSD gets corrupted and you need to re-install the system.

This board needs framebuffer patching to be able to use the iGPU, as you're already aware. On this Forum and on Hackintool itself there are the right info to make it work. This board is one of the ones with already made code to patch the framebuffer, and it works great...until it freezes.
So the systems always boots fine...you use the PC for a little while, then it freezes.

I used this Ram and CPU and SSD on another board so they work. I run the Ram slower so to check if it was the issue, and it's not. I tried different framebuffer patching implementations, one from page one of this Thread and the other from hackintool itself, with different SMBIOS iMac 18,1 and Macmini 8,1. What comes out is the systems works as expected with all the amenities working well until it freezes, and no matter what I change it continues freezing.

Any idea how to figure this out?
Thanks for your help.

Hi, I followed all the steps to enable the other two ports of my hackintosh (Mojave), but with no results. The patch generated after setting all the ports is not applied (even if saved correctly). Whenever I reboot hackintool after rebooting all the settings are changed as like attached images.
I'm going crazy. Can someone help me?

Asus astrix z270F
CPU I7-7700K LGA 1151 (Kabylake)
32 gb Ram
Intel HD 630 (IGPU)
Have you tried the connector patch in the guide:

Index 1, BusID 0x01, Type DP
Index 2, BusID 0x02, Type HDMI (physical port is DVI)
Index 3, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI

Your current settings are:

Index 1, BusID 0x05, Type DP
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI (physical port is DVI)
Index 3, BusID 0x06, Type Analog DVI (physical port is HDMI)

Because DVI is treated as an HDMI port, its type must be HDMI. These changes have been made in the attached config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.5 KB · Views: 123
I'm having issues that are nasty with this board.
I'm not sure what it is.
I like your descriptive prowess. ;)

Motherboard is Asrock Z390M-ITXac, i3 8100, iGPU only, 2x8GB Corsair Ram

What happens is the system freezes. It's all working nicely, then suddenly the system freezes. What's even more annoying is the boot SSD gets corrupted and you need to re-install the system.

This board needs framebuffer patching to be able to use the iGPU, as you're already aware. On this Forum and on Hackintool itself there are the right info to make it work. This board is one of the ones with already made code to patch the framebuffer, and it works great...until it freezes.
So the systems always boots fine...you use the PC for a little while, then it freezes.

I used this Ram and CPU and SSD on another board so they work. I run the Ram slower so to check if it was the issue, and it's not. I tried different framebuffer patching implementations, one from page one of this Thread and the other from hackintool itself, with different SMBIOS iMac 18,1 and Macmini 8,1. What comes out is the systems works as expected with all the amenities working well until it freezes, and no matter what I change it continues freezing.

Any idea how to figure this out?
Thanks for your help.
This is not strictly an HDMI black screen problem, but rather a system stability problem. I will provide some general guidelines here, but the conversation should be continued in the Mojave Desktop Support forum.
  • Is the system stable if you undo the framebuffer connector patch and use the iGPU in non-accelerated fashion?
  • Have you tried disconnecting all USB and other connected devices other than keyboard/mouse?
  • Have you updated to latest BIOS?
  • If you have a spare SSD, it is always a good idea to do a fresh installation on that disk and see if the system remains stable. If so, it indicates a corruption on your primary installation.
  • Do you have Windows/NTFS drives, NTFS drivers, etc. that you can disconnect or uninstall?
    • Again, a completely fresh installation of MacOS on a spare SSD is ideal because it eliminates a lot of variables stemming from third-party apps, malware, weird kexts, and other nasties.
  • You may also compress and upload your CLOVER folder with serial numbers redacted from SMBIOS.

Thanks @CaseySJ for answer, I replaced my config.plist with the one you attached but nothing changed. Maybe platform ID is not 0x591200? For when I re-open Hackintool the screen is always the same. Maybe I should use 0 x 59160000?
I attach screenshot for my actually platform id (59120000) and maybe probabile platform id (59160000)

Update:
After many attempts the situation is always the same. I tried all the combinations, but when I restart the system everything comes back like the image I attach, as if hackintool doesn't apply the changes to me.

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-04-29 alle 11.52.23.png
    Schermata 2019-04-29 alle 11.52.23.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Figured it out. For my motherboard, the Bus ID for Index 1 has to be 0x05. That's the only bus that worked for DP or HDMI. If the type is set to DP, it shows up Pink. If it's set to HDMI, all is well.

Now, I gotta figure out why my 2 ext HD's aren't showing up. I have 4 ext HD's on 1 Hub. 2 show up, the other 2 do not.

Things are still working just fine EXCEPT, now I can't enable Background Render on Final Cut Pro. Video Proc says HW accel is on. Hackintool shows both my WG and Lilu are the most up to date. Any ideas?

EDIT: Figured it out, had to update Mojave to 10.14.4.
EDIT2: SPOKE too soon. Now the original issue of not being able to boot with both monitors applied is back. Did 10.14.4 change the frame buffers?
EDIT3: Through trial and error i found a workaround. If I boot with both monitors connected but without -disablegfxfirmware, it boots with 1 monitor working. If I disconnect and reconnect the DP, the DP monitor works. That's better than booting to 2 black screens when both monitors are connected. So it looks like -disablegfxfirmware isn't jiving on 10.14.4.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ thanks a lot for your reply and guide!

This is not strictly an HDMI black screen problem, but rather a system stability problem. I will provide some general guidelines here, but the conversation should be continued in the Mojave Desktop Support forum.
[*]Is the system stable if you undo the framebuffer connector patch and use the iGPU in non-accelerated fashion?[/LIST]
I'm not sure. If I undo the patch I get a black screen. I should plug in a video card and test this but I leave it as last resource as it is a bit longer to test.

[*]Have you tried disconnecting all USB and other connected devices other than keyboard/mouse?
I did but it didn't help.

[*]Have you updated to latest BIOS?
I downgraded bios to 1.2 from 1.5 and up to now I'm getting No freezes at all even if it's just 16 hours, with the other bios I used to get freezes in an hour or so. It might be this, let's see...
This is not the latest bios as ASRock declares that by updating to the latest bios you then won't be able to downgrade anymore. These ASRock boards have a bug. You can search on this web site for the Z390M-ITX Phantom Gaming. There's a patch required to make run certain bioses. Some bug that refers to MacOS RTC going nuts. Without this patch the system doesn't boot.

[*]If you have a spare SSD, it is always a good idea to do a fresh installation on that disk and see if the system remains stable. If so, it indicates a corruption on your primary installation.
I did a fresh install but it froze immediately after. Now, as I said, after another fresh install, the system is running fine with the 1.2 bios.

[*]Do you have Windows/NTFS drives, NTFS drivers, etc. that you can disconnect or uninstall?
I have no Windows disk connected to the system.

[*]Again, a completely fresh installation of MacOS on a spare SSD is ideal because it eliminates a lot of variables stemming from third-party apps, malware, weird kexts, and other nasties.
I did a fresh install and it didn't help.

[*]You may also compress and upload your CLOVER folder with serial numbers redacted from SMBIOS.
thanks for your availability. If this bios test fails I will upload my EFI.

I've run it for 20h without freeze on HFS+ Volume, I switched to APFS and after 1h it froze.
Not sure if it has anything to do.
I attach the EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I like your descriptive prowess. ;)

• Is the system stable if you undo the framebuffer connector patch and use the iGPU in non-accelerated fashion?
  • Have you tried disconnecting all USB and other connected devices other than keyboard/mouse?
  • Have you updated to latest BIOS?
  • If you have a spare SSD, it is always a good idea to do a fresh installation on that disk and see if the system remains stable. If so, it indicates a corruption on your primary installation.
  • Do you have Windows/NTFS drives, NTFS drivers, etc. that you can disconnect or uninstall?
    • Again, a completely fresh installation of MacOS on a spare SSD is ideal because it eliminates a lot of variables stemming from third-party apps, malware, weird kexts, and other nasties.
  • You may also compress and upload your CLOVER folder with serial numbers redacted from SMBIOS.

The freeze continues to happen with all the Bios tested.
Most of the times it happens with a Video/Audio playing.
Could be related to hardware acceleration.

Hello @joanareis,

You're right -- the iGPU is enabled and accelerated. Please try 2 things:
  1. Try the attached config.plist. But also ensure all third party kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, FakeSMC, network-related kexts, etc.) are copied to /Library/Extensions (and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.)
  2. If that does not help, make the following changes to the attached config.plist and try again.

• AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x00001259
  • device-id = 12590000
Both of these parameters are in Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties.
Hi @CaseySJ sorry for the late reply
I updated my kexts and now I have some kind of a image.... The monitor connected to the IGPU shows the apple logo. The system recognises the display, it show in system preferences, my mouse pointer shows in the monitor... if I take a screen shot I even have image in the grab but what I see in the monitor is the apple logo with the a static loading bar :crazy:
Any insights?

Thank you very much for all you help, not only for me but all the community, you're amazing!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 103
  • screen_grab_igpu_monitor.png
    screen_grab_igpu_monitor.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
The freeze continues to happen with all the Bios tested.
Most of the times it happens with a Video/Audio playing.
Could be related to hardware acceleration.
It would be best to start a new thread in the Mojave Desktop Support forum where other Asus owners may be able to help. You should of course describe the problem, the steps taken so far, the partial results (20 successful hours with HFS+), the version of Mojave, the make/model of the NVMe drive, any USB or PCIe devices in the system, etc.

Hi @CaseySJ sorry for the late reply
I updated my kexts and now I have some kind of a image.... The monitor connected to the IGPU shows the apple logo. The system recognises the display, it show in system preferences, my mouse pointer shows in the monitor... if I take a screen shot I even have image in the grab but what I see in the monitor is the apple logo with the a static loading bar :crazy:
Any insights?

Thank you very much for all you help, not only for me but all the community, you're amazing!
Okay, this might sound harsh, but it’s really not meant to!! Let’s break this down:
  • “Monitor connected to the IGPU shows the Apple logo”
    • This means “BIOS —> Initial Display Output” is set to IGFX.
    • During boot, the standard non-accelerated video driver is used, which is able to drive just about any video port. When the boot progress bar reaches about two-thirds of the way, the screen will blink. This is when the actual accelerated display driver gets swapped-in. So the screen goes momentarily blank when the default driver disengages and the screen comes back when the accelerated driver initializes. But this final step does not happen because you said “Apple logo with the static loading bar”.
  • “System recognizes the display, it shows in System Preferences”
    • Does this contradict the above statement that the boot process froze with the static loading bar?
    • Or does this mean that you booted with the RX 580 and then connected an HDMI cable to the IGPU?
    • If you can boot up successfully with RX 580, it would be good to connect an HDMI cable to the IGPU — without removing the video cable from RX 580 — and then running IORegistryExplorer and saving/uploading the device tree (File —> Save As...).
    • Because you have the RX 580, is there any particular reason for trying to activate the onboard HDMI or other video port? It’s possible to use the IGPU for compute tasks, but not drive a display monitor. This is the so-called “Headless Mode”.

Back