Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

@xavierniu,

Please create a new thread under Mojave Desktop Support and copy-paste the error message there. This thread is only for resolving framebuffer connector patching.

Then please delete the post #228 above (just replace the whole post with "-- deleted --").

Ok thanks;)

@biscate,

Attached is an update config.plist. Please backup existing one and try the attached revision -- you will need to copy Serial Numbers back into SMBIOS. In case of any problem with this version, just restore the original. This version removes a number of unnecessary settings.

Great! Will try tonight, thanks.
Also, yesterday I connected the computer directly to a TV (HDMI port, without an adapter). The image got better, but after a while the floating dead images start to flash intermittently. My guess is that the adapter puts some noise onto the signal, but the issue is at the software part.

Apologies for the late reply!

The bus-id in CPU-Z is, unfortunately, not the ID we're looking for. Based on MSI Z390 Gaming Edge motherboard, HDMI is on Port 0x05 at Bus ID 0x01. Therefore please try this configuration:

Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
Index 2: BusID 0x00, Type DUMMY
Index 3: BusID 0x00, Type DUMMY
Index -1: BusID 0x00, Type DUMMY

If you are unsure how to enter this, just upload your config.plist and I can make the change.

Are you running High Sierra with Nvidia Web Drivers for the GTX 1060? Or are you running Mojave, but without any accelerated graphics driver for the Nvidia card?

The real device ID for your IGPU is 0x3E98, but this is not supported by MacOS so we have to fake it to either 0x3E9B or 0x3E92. With this ID, MacOS will use the accelerated graphics driver, but that driver thinks that all of your IGPU video ports are DisplayPort. But with the framebuffer connector patch above, we can fix this problem and get HDMI working.

As mentioned above, please try the configuration shown. If you need help, just upload your config.plist. Also ensure that Lilu and WhateverGreen are installed (both of them must be installed). For security reasons, you should remove Serial Numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before you upload.
Hello, CaseySJ!

I'm so stupid, omg.
I spent 2 weeks to deal with the framebuffer, tried different values, but the problem turned out to be completely different. I suspected that the green didn't work for me. I wrote about it, more precisely, it worked but did not work the properties for the device. Of course, because I didn’t pay attention to what device I entered.

There should be no problems, like all PciRoot(0x0)/PciRoot(0x2,0x0)

it's so stupid.
Of course, I fixed it on the correct device, rebooted and everything worked for me.

I am very sorry for having spent your time, the problem was in my carelessness. And very grateful for the list of bus-id, it all worked the first time.

If it's necessary, please add this to the first page of the topic.
My MB is MSI Z390 gaming plus, only 1 HDMI no DP.

Once again, thank you very much!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 21.21.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 21.21.53.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 21.21.07.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 21.21.07.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
@MojaveSo, glad to hear it!! Will add your motherboard to Post #1 this evening.

But herein lies the problem: When the proper (accelerated) display driver is connected, your motherboard's HDMI and DVI ports will stop working. So you must either (1) connect your display monitor to a different but working video port on the motherboard (try DisplayPort), or (2) use a discrete (external) GPU and connect your display monitor to the discrete GPU.
@CaseySJ , Does this mean if my motherboard only has 2 HDMI ports and 1 DVI port, I can't define my connectors using this guide?

@CaseySJ , Does this mean if my motherboard only has 2 HDMI ports and 1 DVI port, I can't define my connectors using this guide?
With a little bit of (educated) guesswork, it can still be done. Because you have 2 HDMI and one DVI (essentially all three are treated as HDMI by Mojave) you can start with this configuration:

Index 1: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 2: BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
Index 3: BusID 0x06, Type HDMI

Be sure to use the most appropriate Platform ID and Device ID.

After rebooting, plug an HDMI cable into each port and see if anything turns on. If not, try a slightly different arrangement of BusIDs such as:

Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type HDMI
Index 2: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 3: BusID 0x06, Type HDMI

If you can login to your computer using a screen sharing or remote desktop application, you might be able to get more insight by running IORegistryExplorer, for example, and checking the IGPU subtree (or posting your IOReg dump here).

Just found this working configuration for Gigabyte Z390M Gaming:
Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type DP (no physical port present)
Index 2: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI (physical port is DVI)
Index 3: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-11 um 11.14.28.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-11 um 11.14.28.png
    85 KB · Views: 101
Just found this working configuration for Gigabyte Z390M Gaming:
Index 1: BusID 0x01, Type DP (no physical port present)
Index 2: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI (physical port is DVI)
Index 3: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Will add this to the Compilation in post 1. Do you see any graphics glitches or link/green tints with either DVI or HDMI?

Edit: Typo above: "link" = "pink"

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Will add this to the Compilation in post 1. Do you see any graphics glitches or link/green tints with either DVI or HDMI?
No, the picture looks good on both inputs as far as I can tell. Only glitch I’m having is on startup after the Apple logo just before I see the desktop. For a second or two the picture is distorted and on hdmi I get noise over the display speakers.

On a different note: I was having trouble finding this configuration because the hdmi display was also recognized on index1 when patching the output accordingly. However, even though the display was recognized both by the system and hackintool I didn’t get a picture. It only worked after patching index3 to hdmi and leaving index1 as DP. It was a bit tricky since this motherboard only has hdmi and dvi

@biscate,

Attached is an update config.plist. Please backup existing one and try the attached revision -- you will need to copy Serial Numbers back into SMBIOS. In case of any problem with this version, just restore the original. This version removes a number of unnecessary settings.
Thanks for spending your time with my mobo issues but none of the alternatives worked. I am not that skilled guy, so will wait for someone eventually find the correct configuration. I'll be in touch. Tks

Back