Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Unfortunately, someone else tried this approach (DP to HDMI cable) and it didn't work. You're welcome to try it as well. Other suggestions:

• Add this to Boot arguments: -cdfon
  • Also add the Enable-HDMI20 property:

<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
    <data>
    AQAAAA==
    </data>

This can be inserted into config.plist (if it's not already present) just above <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>.
With my reboot/sleep issue somewhat solved, should the above changes be applied? What does -cdfon do? Couldn't find any mention of its purpose. What about the HDMI20 option, it's not in my config.plist. TX!

With my reboot/sleep issue somewhat solved, should the above changes be applied? What does -cdfon do? Couldn't find any mention of its purpose. What about the HDMI20 option, it's not in my config.plist. TX!
From jaymonkey's guide:
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 6.37.14 PM.png

While I'm not aware of the details, the CDF patch has something to do with maximum pixel clock in support of 4K and 5K monitors. By default, WhateverGreen disables this patch (-cdfoff), hence the recommendation to enable it with -cdfon. Use "HDMI20" achieves the same result so only one of the two methods is needed. If you do not have a 4K/5K display then it's probably better to leave this off.

Still have some problem with Framebuffer memory patch. Whatever I change in memory in config gives no result in Hackintool readings after boot. Always show previous data even if manually adjusted config.plist Actually have fbmem data value 00005001 , but Hackintool shows 9MB same with stolenmem which is 00002002 but shows 19MB in VRAM info.

Still have some problem with Framebuffer memory patch. Whatever I change in memory in config gives no result in Hackintool readings after boot. Always show previous data even if manually adjusted config.plist Actually have fbmem data value 00005001 , but Hackintool shows 9MB same with stolenmem which is 00002002 but shows 19MB in VRAM info.
Does this happen even when Patch --> Apply Current Patches is selected from the menu bar?

I’ve had similar issues. Whenever applying the stolenmem patch, WhateverGreen would just apply no custom patches at all (just an "automated HDMI patch" or sth.), which I could extract from the Lilu+WhateverGreen logs. I couldn't make any sense out of that, however you could try to check the logs (with the debug versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen, instructions can be found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/)

So please try these two options (and take screenshot if any row turns red):

Option 1:
Index 1, BusID 0x02, Type DP
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 3, BusID 0x00, Type DUMMY
Index -1, BusID 0x00, Type DUMMY

Option 2:
Index 2, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Thank you for your suggestions. Because I currently have no external monitors to connect HDMI to, this is what I've tried:
Index -1 BusID 0x00, Type Dummy
Without EDID, screen hangs at -v or apple logo. With EDID, the screen turns off.
For the screen to be recognized as internal, I think I need to have Index 5 LVDS in Con0 and at least one Dummy. Here's how I found out: I patched the minimum, just my snb-platform-id 00000100 and patch-enable, and looking through different ID's in the drop down menu in Hackintool, I found out that Dummies light up in green. I checked LVDS in Con0 and Index 5 with Dummies in Con1-3, all flags cleared up works. My screen is a Dummy lol.
And I will probably give up since I found out that Samsung notebooks with the screen set up like mine have little chance on getting the screen to work: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/samsung-series-5-10-8-5.112848/ and other threads as well.
But for what you've suggested till, thank you :)

yes.apply current patches is on all the time.
When you select About this Mac what information do you see for Graphics?

And if you run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the tree on left side to IGPU, do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer in the sub-node? You may post a screenshot.

Thank you for your suggestions. Because I currently have no external monitors to connect HDMI to, this is what I've tried:
Without EDID, screen hangs at -v or apple logo. With EDID, the screen turns off.
For the screen to be recognized as internal, I think I need to have Index 5 LVDS in Con0 and at least one Dummy. Here's how I found out: I patched the minimum, just my snb-platform-id 00000100 and patch-enable, and looking through different ID's in the drop down menu in Hackintool, I found out that Dummies light up in green. I checked LVDS in Con0 and Index 5 with Dummies in Con1-3, all flags cleared up works. My screen is a Dummy lol.
And I will probably give up since I found out that Samsung notebooks with the screen set up like mine have little chance on getting the screen to work: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/samsung-series-5-10-8-5.112848/ and other threads as well.
But for what you've suggested till, thank you :)
Alas my experience is limited to Desktops! But please try all the combinations that make logical sense. And note there is no Index 5. There is Port 0x05, which is tied to Index 1.

When you select About this Mac what information do you see for Graphics?

And if you run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the tree on left side to IGPU, do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer in the sub-node? You may post a screenshot.
For graphics in About This Mac is HD 530 2048 MB, which can be adjusted with one letter g>Y in Data line to 1536MB.
IORegistry enclosed. In the same time htool reports quite different.

Attachments

• IOreg 2019-01-24 o 19.11.16.png
    IOreg 2019-01-24 o 19.11.16.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 160
  • htool.png
    htool.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Back