Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

This configuration includes DisplayPort and HDMI, however I was unable to test the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port. Thank you for the guide, friend!
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
BwCbPg==
</data>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
kj4AAA==
</data>
<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
<data>
BQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-flags</key>
<data>
xwMAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-index</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
<data>
AAQAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
<data>
BAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-flags</key>
<data>
xwMAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-index</key>
<data>
AgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
<data>
BgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-flags</key>
<data>
xwMAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
<data>
AwAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>
AAQAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-busid</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-flags</key>
<data>
IAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-index</key>
<data>
/////w==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-pipe</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con3-type</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
<data>
AAAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>
AACQAw==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>

This configuration includes DisplayPort and HDMI, however I was unable to test the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port. Thank you for the guide, friend!
Thank you very much for sharing this configuration. It's been added to Post #1.

@CaseySJ
Good morning. Getting back to testing my auto reboot issues this week. I saw your post re: pipe 18; will be looking into that soon. I have a question re: DP cabling. Seems like the trend is for DP, as opposed to HDMI. As such, DP should work as the default (out of the box), requiring no change or patching. I see where you can buy a DP to HDMI connector cable. Should I opt for this connector, and if so, will my onboard UHD 630 be recognized w/o the FB patch/injection? When I re-hooked up my HDTV last night, while the FB patch provides somewhat better (pleasing) graphics, the resulting unstableness of the system (rebooting) is far more an annoyance, than the improved graphics. Learning as I go. Thanks!

@CaseySJ
Good morning. Getting back to testing my auto reboot issues this week. I saw your post re: pipe 18; will be looking into that soon. I have a question re: DP cabling. Seems like the trend is for DP, as opposed to HDMI. As such, DP should work as the default (out of the box), requiring no change or patching. I see where you can buy a DP to HDMI connector cable. Should I opt for this connector, and if so, will my onboard UHD 630 be recognized w/o the FB patch/injection? When I re-hooked up my HDTV last night, while the FB patch provides somewhat better (pleasing) graphics, the resulting unstableness of the system (rebooting) is far more an annoyance, than the improved graphics. Learning as I go. Thanks!
Unfortunately, someone else tried this approach (DP to HDMI cable) and it didn't work. You're welcome to try it as well. Other suggestions:

• Add this to Boot arguments: -cdfon
  • Also add the Enable-HDMI20 property:

<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
    <data>
    AQAAAA==
    </data>

This can be inserted into config.plist (if it's not already present) just above <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will test your suggestions above soon. I may opt to purchase the cable anyway since I/we need to complete your patching guide to satisfy the remaining DP connector using the FB patch for my respective Mobo.

Wanted to share with you a screen I got last night. After initial boot, I left the system on all evening, checking it periodically. Yes, the system would reboot, then reboot again after 15 minutes, etc. After one such reboot, I went in to view my plist and launched EFI Mounter v3, and got the attached screen. Can't figure out why I got this message; is it a 32 bit app? I manually restarted, and the EFI Mounter worked just fine. I'm curiously puzzled.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 10.53.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 10.53.34 AM.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! I will test your suggestions above soon. I may opt to purchase the cable anyway since I/we need to complete your patching guide to satisfy the remaining DP connector using the FB patch for my respective Mobo.

Wanted to share with you a screen I got last night. After initial boot, I left the system on all evening, checking it periodically. Yes, the system would reboot, then reboot again after 15 minutes, etc. After one such reboot, I went in to view my plist and launched EFI Mounter v3, and got the attached screen. Can't figure out why I got this message. I manually restarted, and the EFI Mounter worked just fine. I'm curiously puzzled.
We may have discussed this before, but because reboots are occurring every 15 minutes I wonder if this is related to Sleep. By default the system tries to put the monitor to sleep every 15 minutes (Preferences --> Energy). So if you change this to say 2 minutes, will the system reboot every 2 minutes?

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I interject here. I currently use an adapter like this to output my GTX 1070's DP port to a HDMI TV, and it works well in this task: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010SDZZ80/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I don't know which country you are in, so I've included the link to the US Amazon store. Is this something that could help you? I think a cable could work just as well but, at least with this, you can use your existing HDMI cables. It's also how I tested my iGPU's DP port. If worse comes to worse, and it doesn't work for you, I've found Amazon are great for returns, so you can just return the adapter for a refund (plus it only requires a small outlay too).

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I interject here. I currently use an adapter like this to output my GTX 1070's DP port to a HDMI TV, and it works well in this task: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010SDZZ80/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I don't know which country you are in, so I've included the link to the US Amazon store. Is this something that could help you? I think a cable could work just as well but, at least with this, you can use your existing HDMI cables. It's also how I tested my iGPU's DP port. If worse comes to worse, and it doesn't work for you, I've found Amazon are great for returns, so you can just return the adapter for a refund (plus it only requires a small outlay too).

Hi,
I'm in the good old US of A. Don't want to interject too far, but since my build
"seems" like it will work, I ordered more stuff (1 TB drive and a DVD player) this past weekend. As such, need to trek to the local computer store for a bracket or two for the drives, so will probably pickup the DP to HDMI cable. My main goal is to have a machine to house the ever growing number of pictures/videos, and to import my CD collection. I'll post my results so CaseySJ can update the FB Guide. Thanks!

Hi,
I'm in the good old US of A. Don't want to interject too far, but since my build
"seems" like it will work, I ordered more stuff (1 TB drive and a DVD player) this past weekend. As such, need to trek to the local computer store for a bracket or two for the drives, so will probably pickup the DP to HDMI cable. My main goal is to have a machine to house the ever growing number of pictures/videos, and to import my CD collection. I'll post my results so CaseySJ can update the FB Guide. Thanks!
Please note that there might be a difference between:
  • DP to HDMI cable
  • DP to HDMI adapter
The link in @pbryanw's post refers to an adapter. I would recommend the adapter because (a) it works for him, and (b) a DP-to-HDMI cable failed for a different user.

We may have discussed this before, but because reboots are occurring every 15 minutes I wonder if this is related to Sleep. By default the system tries to put the monitor to sleep every 15 minutes (Preferences --> Energy). So if you change this to say 2 minutes, will the system reboot every 2 minutes?

Thanks CaseySJ, you nailed it. My bad, previously I had unchecked the "Put hard disks to sleep" option without regard to also checking the other sleep options. I'm currently set to Never on the settings. Looking back, it shows me that when the machine was running without the FB Patch, the system remained operational forever, meaning the sleep option(s) failed to kick in. When the FB Patch was applied, sleep was recognized. So I'm happy to suggest the FB Patch does not promote boot/sleep issues, rut rather improves the functionality? Some sleep tweak may still be needed.
Thanks again!

Back