Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks so much for this thread. It gave me the break through I needed to get DP out and HDMI out working on my Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One, Haswell system.

In this configuration system is stable and will hot plug between connectors fine.

Platform ID 0x0D220003

Index 1, Bus ID 5 DP out, Index 2 Bus ID 4 is the built in display ( leaving type as DP works ), Index 3 Bus ID 6 HDMI out.
Thanks! This is very helpful and has been added to Compilation in Post #1. I'll add the XML structure soon.

Motherboard
ASUS X99 Sabertooth
CPU
i7-5960X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey guys I am on Catalina and I have Radeon Vega 56 trying to designate my FB name in clover as Iriri or Kamarang but it is not showing. I downloaded SSDT-Inject FB Name For Vega 56 to add them in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched, but I don't have these folder.

I tried searching forum for hours and I can't do it on my own. Somebody help me!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey guys I am on Catalina and I have Radeon Vega 56 trying to designate my FB name in clover as Iriri or Kamarang but it is not showing. I downloaded SSDT-Inject FB Name For Vega 56 to add them in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched, but I don't have these folder.

I tried searching forum for hours and I can't do it on my own. Somebody help me!
Catalina has built-in support for Vega 56 so it should not be necessary to select a frame buffer in Clover. Are you using Lilu and WhateverGreen?

The /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder exists in the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD. First you have to mount the EFI partition. This can be done from Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI as shown:

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 1.18.52 PM.png

Motherboard
ASUS X99 Sabertooth
CPU
i7-5960X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Catalina has built-in support for Vega 56 so it should not be necessary to select a frame buffer in Clover. Are you using Lilu and WhateverGreen?

The /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder exists in the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD. First you have to mount the EFI partition. This can be done from Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI as shown:

View attachment 433028

Thanks for the explanation. Currently I am using Lilu and not WhateverGreen. The reason being, I had a black screen during installation of Catalina and deleting WhateverGreen fixed the problem. So I only have Lilu. But should I add WhateverGreen back in there?

And I think I must have deleted the ACPI folder during installation.

Thank you so much for your kind response!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the explanation. Currently I am using Lilu and not WhateverGreen. The reason being, I had a black screen during installation of Catalina and deleting WhateverGreen fixed the problem. So I only have Lilu. But should I add WhateverGreen back in there?

And I think I must have deleted the ACPI folder during installation.

Thank you so much for your kind response!
  • If you are connecting your monitor to the Vega 56 with an HDMI cable, it is possible to get a black screen if the "AGDP Patch" is applied in the Kernel and Kext Patches section of Clover Configurator. Removing this patch should enable the HDMI port.
    • Alternatively, you can use DisplayPort.
  • Should you reinstall WhateverGreen?
    • Generally speaking, yes.
  • Were you able to mount the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD?
    • If so, is the CLOVER/ACPI/patch folder empty?

Motherboard
ASUS X99 Sabertooth
CPU
i7-5960X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
  • If you are connecting your monitor to the Vega 56 with an HDMI cable, it is possible to get a black screen if the "AGDP Patch" is applied in the Kernel and Kext Patchessection of Clover Configurator. Removing this patch should enable the HDMI port.
    • Alternatively, you can use DisplayPort.
  • Should you reinstall WhateverGreen?
    • Generally speaking, yes.
  • Were you able to mount the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD?
    • If so, is the CLOVER/ACPI/patch folder empty?
- Okay thanks, my main connection to monitor is DP.
- I did reinstalled WhateverGreen back in the kext folder.
- Yes I am able to mount the EFI partition. I think during my installation I was doing COPY & PASTE of the EFI folders and may accidentally not copying all the folders. I have made those folders back in there now.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

@mangoicetea,

There is no need to inject a specific AMD framebuffer name when using WhatEverGreen (WEG) ...
WEG will read the port data from the Vega's VBIOS and create/inject a Framebuffer called "ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer"
This approach allows WEG to support all Vega GPU's including OEM models that differ from the reference design.

There is no performance or feature loss by just letting WEG do its thing.

As @CaseySJ wrote above the black screen issue is most likely due to bad/redundant configuration data.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
LENOVO TC-O3X
CPU
i7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630 + HD 530
(RU)Hello. I'm trying to get to work HDMI output on Kaby Lake UHD630 (Mojave) on Mono-block PC. after Framebuffer patching I'm still not getting output, and Logs have LSPCON Initialization fails (by WEG). Googling brings me Nothing. Help, Please.

Attachments

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
(RU)Hello. I'm trying to get to work HDMI output on Kaby Lake UHD630 (Mojave) on Mono-block PC. after Framebuffer patching I'm still not getting output, and Logs have LSPCON Initialization fails (by WEG). Googling brings me Nothing. Help, Please.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier