Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 Ti + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If your monitor is below 60hz then there is no issues with the monitor settings. Its only for my monitor which have 144hz.

I'm also planning to use nvidia 2060 super for gaming on Windows and iGPU for Mac, today only I'm going to install Graphics card. Need to check how I'm going to achieve this. Also let me know if you found any way to do this.
My monitor has a native refresh rate of 60Hz but it can be Overclocked to 120Hz. I dont see an option in the macOS Display Settings or on my monitor anymore. (The software on my monitor seems to adjust/change with the OS it looks like)

From my understanding Apple no longer supports Nvidia cards past High Sierra. You are in luck though, I just asked @CaseySJ and I was provided an SSDT patch to disable the Top PCIe slot on my GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE. So far its a work in progress. Will update.

Attachments

• SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml
    171 bytes · Views: 16
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus H110M-D
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Apple no longer supports Nvidia cards past High Sierra
Yea I know that.

I planned to buy AMD RX 5700 for both gaming and mac, but there is no confirmation of support on Catalina so I just went with Nivida for gaming, and planned to use iGPU for Mac ( I just use mac for app development, no extensive graphics needed).

To hide the RTX 2080Ti from macOS, simply copy the attached SSDT to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD and reboot.
Wow great, I think that will work for me too. Thank you so much @CaseySJ.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@DanTechMedia,

The SSDT will not electrically disable the the Nvidia GPU; instead, it will hide it from macOS so it does not appear in the IORegistry. MacOS will not attempt to attach a driver or use it in any way.

Also, regarding the other issues, please see the full build guide for Designare Z390 here:
Quick hint for Messages and FaceTime: we need EmuVariableUefi in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 Ti + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@DanTechMedia,

The SSDT will not electrically disable the the Nvidia GPU; instead, it will hide it from macOS so it does not appear in the IORegistry. MacOS will not attempt to attach a driver or use it in any way.

Also, regarding the other issues, please see the full build guide for Designare Z390 here:
Quick hint for Messages and FaceTime: we need EmuVariableUefi in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
@CaseySJ

Apologies for the delay in my response.

I have read that in your original Guide but for some reason it still hasn't worked. The EmuVariableUefi.efi file was in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder all along. (See attached Screen Shot) I'm not sure what I could of done wrong. I've also tried to update it with the newest one and still no luck. Any ideas?

Would fixing the issue with the EmuVariableUefi.efi file also fix the Sleep issue? It goes to sleep but then turns back on immediately. Wake for Ethernet network access in my Energy Saver settings is already disabled. (See attached Screen Shot)

In regards to the 2080Ti, is it bad for it to be on with only 1 fan working in macOS? To the touch I'd say its fairly warm but not really hot.

I'd still like to disable the whole slot if possible so no power even gets to it. If that is possible, I can still leave my PSU cables attached to the 2080Ti correct?

Thank you for your time,
Dan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.03.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.03.10 PM.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.15.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.15.54 PM.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 Ti + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I planned to buy AMD RX 5700 for both gaming and mac, but there is no confirmation of support on Catalina so I just went with Nivida for gaming, and planned to use iGPU for Mac ( I just use mac for app development, no extensive graphics needed).
That's a good card I hear. I'll have to do that myself unless I can actually disable PCIe slot so no power goes to the 2080Ti at all.

Motherboard
Asus H110M-D
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
@DanTechMedia
How you are connected HDMI and DP for Mac and Windows?

@CaseySJ I have a problem connecting my Mac with iGPU, Can you please help me on this, I tried all possible ways I can think of.

I connected Graphic card DP port to my monitor DP port and motherboard HDMI to same monitor HDMI port. I'm booting Mac and Windows with Clover. I basically set my monitor to DP mode.

When I start the PC I can see boot screen and clover screen in DP mode itself. If I choose Windows its loading and showing login screen in the DP itself. But if I choose Mac it shows apple loading screen but at 60% it stopped. I have to change my monitor to HDMI to see the login screen. Then I can login and work with Mac.

I even set my monitor to auto mode so that it'll switch to available connection automatically. But when booting Mac it doesn't disconnect output through DP so it still stays on DP screen, if DP video is disconnected my monitor will go to HDMI mode and I can work with Mac. But not sure how to achieve this.

I think I have same problem as @DanTechMedia I want to completely disable my NVIDIA when I booting to Mac.

Motherboard
CPU
intel
Graphics
invidia
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Radon 580 8 gigs red dragon Mac OS mahawi after running stop coolers when heat turn on for a few seconds and again are start help .

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 Ti + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@DanTechMedia
How you are connected HDMI and DP for Mac and Windows?
3 monitor setup
macOS - hdmi / USB-C x2 (iGPU)
Windows - DP / HDMI / DVI (2080Ti)

Motherboard
Asus H110M-D
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
3 monitor setup
macOS - hdmi / USB-C x2 (iGPU)
Windows - DP / HDMI / DVI (2080Ti)

I did the same, I have only one monitor which have 1 DP and 1 hdmi port.
I connected iGPU (mobo) hdmi to Monitor hdmi and 2060s DP to monitor DP.

What happen when you are booting your system? Like which mode you are getting output in your monitor in BIOS, Clover, Booting Windows and Booting Mac? Manually switching to DP and hdmi or it automatically works for you?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 Ti + UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have only one monitor which have 1 DP and 1 hdmi port.
I connected iGPU (mobo) hdmi to Monitor hdmi and 2060s DP to monitor DP.

What happen when you are booting your system? Like which mode you are getting output in your monitor in BIOS, Clover, Booting Windows and Booting Mac? Manually switching to DP and hdmi or it automatically works for you?
For me I’ve been using macOS more than Windows, so I just leave it in HDMI.

My main monitor is in HDMI I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

When I need to use Windows, I don’t have to switch the input but I do have to load a Windows profile in my BIOS which is setup to boot from my 2080Ti and not my iGPU.