Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I know what you mean! :) The framebuffer settings are still not showing.

On your Asus, reboot and press F8 during the BIOS splash screen to bring up the Boot Menu. Then use the arrow keys to choose the Mojave SSD. This will ensure that the EFI folder on that disk is used.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Click on the one in red
  • If you are booting directly from the Mojave SSD...
  • If you are mounting EFI partition from the Mojave SSD...
  • And you are copying config.plist to the EFI/CLOVER folder on that EFI partition...
  • And the patches still do not take effect,
...then maybe the new config.plist is not being written to the EFI/CLOVER folder.

No further progress can be made until:
  • The modified config.plist is copied to the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD and verified that it was copied there properly.
The best way to check if the connector settings have been applied is to run IORegistryExplorer, scroll down to and click on IGPU@2, then check whether all of the framebuffer-con(x)-xxx parameters are showing on the right side.

You may have to figure this out on your own.

Temporarily disconnecting all other drives from the system might help (even disconnect EVO 960 if necessary).

Motherboard
ASUS Strix Z270-F
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac
Unfortunately I'm sure that the config.plist file is modified, because if I change smbios with 18.2 or 18.3 I see stripes on the monitor, and this gives me the confirmation that something is changing.
On my regio explorer file I noticed that on acpi-device IOACPIPIPlatform is not seriarizable is written. is this normal?

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Unfortunately I'm sure that the config.plist file is modified, because if I change smbios with 18.2 or 18.3 I see stripes on the monitor, and this gives me the confirmation that something is changing.
On my regio explorer file I noticed that on acpi-device IOACPIPIPlatform is not seriarizable is written. is this normal?
Yes this is normal.

IOReg shows that both Lilu and WhateverGreen are installed and active (and framebuffer-patch-enable is set to 1), so I am puzzled why framebuffer settings are not being injected.

Perhaps you should compress and upload the Clover folder from the EFI partition again and post a screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I upload Clover folder. I the library folder I don't have the extensions folder.
The only Extension folder is in EFI / Apple / Extensions (see pictures)
The folder in the 3rd screenshot is the ~home/Library folder located in your home directory. The folder we want to see is:

/Library/Extensions

This is located at the top level of the Mojave SSD. Double-click the Mojave SSD disk icon on the desktop and you'll see it.

Also try the attached config.plist.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok is this... Thank
Yes this is the right folder. Try the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD again using Clover Configurator.
  • Using Finder, copy all kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to /Library/Extensions.
    • Finder will ask for your password, so enter when asked.
    • When Finder asks if you want to replace files in the destination, select “replace”.
  • Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.
    • Download Kext Utility if you don’t have it already.
    • It is absolutely necessary to rebuild kernel caches after copying files into /Library/Extensions or deleting files from it.
  • Then use Clover Configurator, open your config.plist from the EFI/CLOVER folder on EFI disk, select “System Parameters” from the left side, and set Inject Kexts to Detect.
  • Reboot from Mojave SSD directly, login, run IORegistryExplorer, and save/upload the file (File —> Save As...).

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1070
Also you can get Lilu to create a log:
To get debug output from Lilu use the -liludbgall liludump=60 boot flags. You will need to compile Lilu and WhateverGreen as debug for both of these flags to work. Log files should be located at /var/log/Lilu_*.