Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

It sounds like all I should be needing is to add the following into config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>framebuffer4K</string>
</dict>

In order to boost the RAM Allocation to 64MB and the Framebuffer Memory Size to 48MB.

I already tried that in the past without success, but other settings were different back then.

Is the kextstopatch section of config.plist the appropriate place for this code?

Tx
-a-

Last edited:
It sounds like all I should be needing is to add the following into config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>framebuffer4K</string>
</dict>

In order to boost the RAM Allocation to 64MB and the Framebuffer Memory Size to 48MB.

I already tried that in the past without success, but other settings were different back then.

Is the kextstopatch section of config.plist the appropriate place for this code?

Tx
-a-

@CaseySJ
Well looks like I'm not much luckier this time.
Maybe I messed things up too much...
Here's my config.plist if you have the time to give it a look.

Thanks for you highly appreciated help.
Best,
-a-

Attachments

• -a-_20190215_config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 70
@CaseySJ
Well looks like I'm not much luckier this time.
Maybe I messed things up too much...
Here's my config.plist if you have the time to give it a look.

Thanks for you highly appreciated help.
Best,
-a-
It seems you've added the patch correctly, but the rest of your config.plist looks too spartan. The ACPI section, for example, is empty.

Try checking IORegistryExplorer to see if AppleIntelFramebufferAzul is being loaded. (This screenshot is from my Coffee Lake processor, hence "AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer".)

Let's also see if your post in that thread gets a reply soon...

It seems you've added the patch correctly, but the rest of your config.plist looks too spartan. The ACPI section, for example, is empty.
Should I have checked something else in Multibeast 11.0.1?

Try checking IORegistryExplorer to see if AppleIntelFramebufferAzul is being loaded. (This screenshot is from my Coffee Lake processor, hence "AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer".)

View attachment 387353
I have no idea on how to use IORegistryExplorer yet, so I'll be a bit slow... sorry

View attachment 387353

In my case it's AppleAzulController on the left side (not AppleIntelFramebufferController)

Side Note:

I used Quartz Debugg.app to enable HiDPI (apparently it was not enabled according to this app) and rebooted. Now, in Display Preferences, I have more choice in the list of scaled resolutions (some HiDPI) but still nothing above 1080p (non HiDPI)

Should I uncheck the box Enable HiDPI Display Mode in Quartz Debug.app or leave it like that?

Tx
-a-

Side Note:

I used Quartz Debugg.app to enable HiDPI (apparently it was not enabled according to this app) and rebooted. Now, in Display Preferences, I have more choice in the list of scaled resolutions (some HiDPI) but still nothing above 1080p (non HiDPI)

Should I uncheck the box Enable HiDPI Display Mode in Quartz Debug.app or leave it like that?

Tx
-a-
If I recall correctly, Quartz Debug is an age-old tool that may be deprecated for injecting or forcing high resolutions. There is ScreenResX, but I believe that too should be avoided.

It still seems that your best bet right now is to patch AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. Post #75 of that thread is still the preferred ray of hope. In earlier posts they used a hex editor to patch the Azul framebuffer from an earlier build of MacOS. It seems that the Azul kext has not changed since then so the copy that ships with Mojave may respond the same way to that 3-byte patch.

Anyway, I think before you take any further steps, you should wait for a reply to your post in that thread. I will add my own comment there shortly.

As for your config.plist, if what you have right now is working, then let's not make any changes. Better to fix one problem at a time.

@asheenlevrai,

I made some changes to your config.plist based on rael11's posts, namely:
  • Removed Devices --> Properties
  • Checked on Graphics --> Inject Intel
If this works for him, it means he's letting Clover auto-detect both the iGPU device ID and platform ID. So no need to specify or spoof either one.

Not sure if this will work, but it brings your config.plist in line with his. Your Azul framebuffer patches are still in here.

Attachments

• config-v2.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 87
It still seems that your best bet right now is to patch AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. Post #75 of that thread is still the preferred ray of hope. In earlier posts they used a hex editor to patch the Azul framebuffer from an earlier build of MacOS. It seems that the Azul kext has not changed since then so the copy that ships with Mojave may respond the same way to that 3-byte patch.
So you mean I may need to patch the actual AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext file rather that applying the patch on-the-fly via config.plist? I guess this wouldn't survive an OS update but that doable...

I guess if I do that, I don't need to remove the patch for AppleIntelFramebufferAzul in config.plist since those lines would become irrelevant (the code that is searched wouldn't be found anymore). Is that about right?

Tx
-a-

Back