Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Before starting a new thread, can someone advise if my problem is likely a framebuffer? On Big Sur 11.3.1 with a GT740 and monitor connected via HDMI, but it happened on earlier OS versions as well. Machine is the 2015 CustoMac in my profile and signature. Occasionally, and without any way to replicate it I can see, the screen will temporarily go black with the mouse cursor in the upper left corner. The mouse is movable if I catch it quickly enough. Then it goes back to normal. Sometimes I won't see this for months. Other times, like today, it cycled about a dozen times before returning to normal and not happening again.

I first thought it was a loose HDMI cable, but if so I presume the mouse wouldn't display. It's never lasted long enough to make me hunt it down, but today it's significantly disrupting my work.

Is this likely to be fixed by following this guide, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Motherboard
ASRock H67M-ITX/HT
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Need help in resolving the sleep issue please.

I have converted a Lenovo tower into Hackintosh, using it from a past 2 years. Everything works except sleep.
Sleep use to work fine on clover Boot loader but since the day I switched to opencore sleep has never worked.
Using HDMI port to drive my dell monitor.

Currently using MacBook Pro 14.3 as my SMBIOS and everything works except sleep. When the machine is manually put into sleep it goes to sleep for couple of second and wakes up immediately and black screen after that.

As per the opencore suggestion, if I use the SMBIOS iMac 18.1 no/black screen after boot. I tried the ports mapping thing and got the screen to work after boot on SMBIOS iMac 18.1 but the system is not stable at all using this profile and Intel bluetooth doesn't work when iMac 18.1 profile is used. But the wired thing is the machine goes to sleep and stays in sleep but again no/black screen after wakeup.

HW config.
Intel i3 7100 3.9Gz (HD630 IGPU)
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
1TB Spinning disc.
Stock Intel Wifi and bluetooth works flow less.
Dell Monitor connected via HDMI monitor.

Currently on the latest version on Big Sur, i have not changed any HW config on this tower except adding an SSD. Everything works and system is super stable except sleep function.

1635061808583.png
1635060002187.png

Attachments

• Lenovo’s MacBook Pro - IoReg.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 36
  • EFI.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-H270N-WiFi
CPU
i5-7400
Graphics
Intel HD630

I have converted a Lenovo tower into Hackintosh, using it from a past 2 years. Everything works except sleep.
Sleep use to work fine on clover Boot loader but since the day I switched to opencore sleep has never worked.
Using HDMI port to drive my dell monitor.

Currently using MacBook Pro 14.3 as my SMBIOS and everything works except sleep. When the machine is manually put into sleep it goes to sleep for couple of second and wakes up immediately and black screen after that.

As per the opencore suggestion, if I use the SMBIOS iMac 18.1 no/black screen after boot. I tried the ports mapping thing and got the screen to work after boot on SMBIOS iMac 18.1 but the system is not stable at all using this profile and Intel bluetooth doesn't work when iMac 18.1 profile is used. But the wired thing is the machine goes to sleep and stays in sleep but again no/black screen after wakeup.

HW config.
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
1TB Spinning disc.
Stock Intel Wifi and bluetooth works flow less.
Dell Monitor connected via HDMI monitor.

Currently on the latest version on Big Sur, i have not changed any HW config on this tower except adding an SSD. Everything works and system is super stable except sleep function.

View attachment 531785View attachment 531782

Add "igfxonln=1" to boot args to fix the black screen after boot if you still using iMac18,1.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Those who are using DP->DVI video adapters with their UHD630 iGPU and are trying to boot Monterey, I have found that patched connector type DVI <04000000> is not supported by Monterey. My rig documented here would boot Monterey 12.1 to black screens with DP->DVI video adapters and patched connector type DVI. Type DVI worked perfectly for me with Catalina and Big Sur.

In order to boot Monterey with DP->DVI adapters, I need to patch my connector types as HDMI <00080000>.

My rig is as follows:
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
  • i9-9900 UHD630
EDIT: Note that in order to use DP->DVI video adapters with my rig (CFL UHD630 iGPU), I must use a "mobile" framebuffer (I'm using AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E920000). A "desktop" framebuffer (e.g., AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007) with DP->DVI video adapters results in booting to black screens. This has been true for as long as I have been patching the HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Minis.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

no/black screen after wakeup.

HW config.
I have never seen working wake from sleep with Desktop Kabylake / HD630 without dGPU (only iGPU). It is a well-known hackintosh issue. Are you certain that sleep/wake was working with CLOVER?

Motherboard
Asrock Z690 extreme
CPU
I7 12700K
Graphics
RX580
I am having this issue, when wake from sleep, RX580 trough DP, doesnt show up for 10 seconds, and the monitor stars to jump over conectors, at some point starts again, and if you check debug info it says : AMD Framebuffer VIB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)
I have tryed on HDMI and this doesnt happen. But the quality is worst than wirth DP.

Motherboard
GA-Z270-HD3
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I have an HP pavilion with i5 10400 using IGPU. Chipset is H470. I have been able to install monterey with Kaby Lake device ID. However, did not have an acceleration. There is no way to set memory in BIOS (no option). However, changing device ID to 0x3E9B0007 results in a black screen. The machine is able to boot as I am able to access via VNC. Not sure how I need to debug or progress. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.14.30 PM.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.15.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 11.15.04 PM.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 67

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I have an HP pavilion with i5 10400 using IGPU. Chipset is H470. I have been able to install monterey with Kaby Lake device ID. However, did not have an acceleration. There is no way to set memory in BIOS (no option). However, changing device ID to 0x3E9B0007 results in a black screen. The machine is able to boot as I am able to access via VNC. Not sure how I need to debug or progress. Any input would be great. Thanks.
So it's a Comet Lake desktop using the iGPU? Any reason you aren't using Comet Lake DeviceIDs which should be supported? I think you are making an assumption the two iGPUs are the same which is not the case. Kaby Lake has a Intel® HD Graphics 630 while Comet Lake/ Coffee Lake use Intel® UHD Graphics 630, it would take some serious unnecessary spoofing to get it display.

Have you tried alternative Coffee Lake/ Comet Lake iGPU ID's?
Hopefully you are using the OpenCore boot loader and can modify the device IDs to overcome the limitations of your bios, see here for basic device IDs and config.plist entries;
Its possible to do this with Clover as well but the process varies slightly

Also in the Github Whatevergreen FAQ there are alternative device IDs that are more suited to the CPU you have if the two they list do not work. You'll need to scroll down to get past older generation processors.