Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Motherboard
ASRock z390m-itx/ac
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Thanks for replying. I'm guessing it's something to do with adapters. For me with BusId 5 and Pipe 18 DisplayPort cable works fine but Displayport to DVI cable doesn't. I noticed you're using a Displayport to HDMI adapter.

Your build look nice and you should post it in completed builds!

I will... maybe this weekend. :). cheers!

Motherboard
ASRock z390m-itx/ac
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Ok. You are using a DP->HDMI adapter. BusID 0x01 is valid for HDMI. It would appear that the BusID must be selected based on the converted connector type and not the connector type on the graphics card or motherboard. In other words, since I am using a DP->DVI adapter, my valid BusID's are for DVI. Since you are using DP->HDMI adapter, your valid BusIDs are for HDMI. The fact that we both have DP connectors does not determine our BusID since we are using adapters.

Post #1 clearly indicates that the directions/guidance change when you are using adapters. Since neither of us is using DP->DP, we cannot say whether the BusIDs for DP are valid or invalid. Until hearing from someone who has evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming that anyone who uses DP->DP cables without adapters must comply with the BusIDs listed in Post #1.

What is abundantly clear is that anyone asking for help with their UHD graphics MUST indicated whether they are using adapters (e.g. DP->HDMI).

Makes sense... but I thought they were fixed. Anyway, I will be able to test it once i get a monitor with DP connector.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Makes sense... but I thought they were fixed. Anyway, I will be able to test it once i get a monitor with DP connector.

Just curious - if you change your DP connector type to HDMI, do your displays still work correctly? With my DP->DVI adapters, I need to set my connector types to DVI (even though my motherboard has DP ports) or my displays do not work properly. I would think that when using DP->HDMI adapter, you would need to set your connector type to HDMI.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Motherboard
ASRock z390m-itx/ac
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
That's exactly what I was trying to understand. I changed Framebuffer-Conn0-Type from DP (0x00040000) to HDMI (0x00080000) and the display is still working after reboot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.43.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.43.01 AM.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.45.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.45.06 AM.png
    25 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's exactly what I was trying to understand. I changed Framebuffer-Conn0-Type from DP (0x00040000) to HDMI (0x00080000) and the display is still working after reboot.

Good to know that it behaves as expected. For me, using connector type DP when using DP->DVI adapters does not work. For you, it appears that both DP and HDMI are acceptable connector types when using DP->HDMI adapters. Thank you for checking.

EDIT: @checotrevi - I may have been too quick to respond. As I posted here, I needed to reboot a few times to fully observe the effects of my connector type change. I'm not sure about your configuration, but it would be best for you see if conn type HDMI still works after a few power cycles.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock z390m-itx/ac
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Good to know that it behaves as expected. For me, using connector type DP when using DP->DVI adapters does not work. For you, it appears that both DP and HDMI are acceptable connector types when using DP->HDMI adapters. Thank you for checking.

EDIT: @checotrevi - I may have been too quick to respond. As I posted here, I needed to reboot a few times to fully observe the effects of my connector type change. I'm not sure about your configuration, but it would be best for you see if conn type HDMI still works after a few power cycles.
Oh I see... When you say a few times do you mean 2, 3 times? or more? I can check tomorrow.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9400f
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
CaseySJ thank you for your guide. I had mounted a few hackingtosh for years but always put together peripherals that didn't need any particular patching to stay away from troubles. (So far with my present rig I'm booting with clover Catalina 10.14.6 and everything works)..
years ago when it came out Installed radeon RX 560 and dual screen didn't work (I had a purple second screen and put it back in its box.
now after reading your guide I unboxed rx 560 and tried to make it work. But I understand that it won't properly work with my cpu.
I realized that:
my cpu i5-9400f has no integrated graphics (and that's why works fine only with Nvidia 710 which I bought at least 3 times) and internal graphic set up is fundamental to set the correct framebuffer, and set my display ports correctly (and make that purple screen disappear)
Now I have just read your guide and others, and still had no idea
Some thread suggest that Opencore don't have the same issue. my question is: can I set a framebuffer with no internal graphics on your experience, sticking with Clover? does it really OpenCore fix the issue?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: After posting this, I learned that F-Series CPUs do not have an iGPU. Ignore my advice in this post and see this post instead.
--------------------------------------------
my cpu i5-9400f has no integrated graphics

I don't have experience with "0-connector" UHD 630 graphics, but there are multiple threads that discuss this. I'd suggest searching for solutions that discuss implementations with Coffee Lake framebuffer patching for 0 connectors. You will most likely need your AAPL,ig-platform-id set to one of the following values (listed in this reference)

0x3E920003
0x3E910003
0x3E980003
0x9BC80003
0x9BC50003
0x9BC40003

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9400f
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't have experience with "0-connector" UHD 630 graphics, but there are multiple threads that discuss this. I'd suggest searching for solutions that discuss implementations with Coffee Lake framebuffer patching for 0 connectors. You will most likely need your AAPL,ig-platform-id set to one of the following values (listed in this reference)

0x3E920003
0x3E910003
0x3E980003
0x9BC80003
0x9BC50003
0x9BC40003

thank you so much. I am at a dead point. I thought that opencore was going to make it all easier.
But when it comes to f cpus and framebuffering that's what it says:
"PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
This section is set up via WhateverGreen's Framebuffer Patching Guide and is used for setting important iGPU properties. If you have a -F series CPU, you can ignore this section as you do not have an iGPU."
but the guide goes on on igpu frame buffering. I'm confused. But now it's starting to be a challenge... I wanna make it work because I know that others did. any help would be much appreciated.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thank you so much. I am at a dead point. I thought that opencore was going to make it all easier.
But when it comes to f cpus and framebuffering that's what it says:
"PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
This section is set up via WhateverGreen's Framebuffer Patching Guide and is used for setting important iGPU properties. If you have a -F series CPU, you can ignore this section as you do not have an iGPU."
but the guide goes on on igpu frame buffering. I'm confused. But now it's starting to be a challenge... I wanna make it work because I know that others did. any help would be much appreciated.

I've never worked with F-Series CPUs, so I did some reading. The F-Series CPUs don't have an iGPU, so as you read, you can completely ignore Intel framebuffer patching. This thread is not for you - it is for Intel iGPU Framebuffer patching. If you are trying to get your RX560 graphics working, this is NOT the thread. Search for "WhateverGreen RX560" and you'll find solutions using Lilu/WhateverGreen. You will use the video ports on your RX560 card and not the video ports on your motherboard (if there are any). Ask your questions in the appropriate RADEON GPU graphics threads and ignore threads about Intel UHD graphics. Sorry I mislead you in my last post - I haven't worked with F-Series CPUs. You will probably need to use SMBIOS MacModel iMac19,1 or IMacPro1,1.