Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
In the "About This Mac" my graphics show up as Intel UHD 630 as it should. But when looking at the Framebuffer Patching Guide, Step #6, using Hackintool to determine if the proper display patch is being used, I am getting an odd value, "Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model".

@Thaigyver,

Thats the PCIe device descriptor text which Hackintool scrapes from a on-line PCIe Vendor & Device database.
Quite often the IGPU device descriptor text tends to be CPU generation generic and not IGPU specific.

There is no way to change it in Hackintool as it's only displaying what is in the on-line database. However if the "model" device Property for the IGPU has been set in your config.plist then you will notice the same IGPU name in the PCI list in About this Mac -> System Report -> PCI. Some Third party apps also use the "model" device property to display the IGPU device name (such as iStat Menus).

You can fix that issue by doing the following :-
  1. Open your config.plist in an editor
  2. Find the "Properties" sub-section of the "Devices" section of the config.plist
  3. Find the IGPU Device Properties which will be under <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
  4. Edit the <string> value for the IGPU Device Property "model"
  5. Set it to something like"Intel UHD 630 Graphics" (make sure that it starts with "Intel")
  6. Save and reboot
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ, Great instructional post on Framebuffer Patching. Also, a big thanks to headkaze for Hackintool and jaymonkey for both Lilu and Whatevergreen. I have learned a lot more on my second build.

Second and Current Build:
ASRock B365M Pro 4
Core i3-9100
Intel UHD 630

I have read through the General Framebuffer Patch Guide a couple times getting ready to give it a go, but I am left with one question from my end before I begin. I did my best to try to find an answer to this on the forum, but I did not find anything. In the "About This Mac" my graphics show up as Intel UHD 630 as it should. But when looking at the Framebuffer Patching Guide, Step #6, using Hackintool to determine if the proper display patch is being used, I am getting an odd value, "Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model". Pics attached.

If anyone has any ideas why it says that or if it is not important, I would appreciate the help

I have tried using different system definitions, such as macmini8,1, iMac19,1 and iMac19,2. Nothing changes with these different system definitions.

And, just as a side question as I am trying to learn more about using this forum, I have my first system build showing to the left. When I try to add my second build under "Build Signature", you can see that the MB just comes up as "Other". I understand it is not available as a choice as it is not on the recommended parts guide. Is there a way to manually put this information in? I see many members with many different types of build information in their signature.

Thanks
Thaigyver
Hello @Thaigyver,

Because About this Mac shows Intel i3 (which is what matters), I think Hackintool might have a bug. Please try version 3.3.7. Also open System Information --> Graphics/Displays and see what macOS shows there. You should use iMac19,1 if possible.

Regarding signature, just use this option and you can enter your system name, motherboard, CPU, and GPU information in free-form:

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 5.25.25 AM.png

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Dear community,
This is a long pending display issue, I'm facing since Mojave and now also on Catalina as well.
The monitor blacks out for few seconds, no pattern to it... however, have noticed it also happens whenever any switch in my house is turned on or off... The blackout happens too often while I transfer data between my external HDD as well and I can't do anything else.

My System Config:
Asus Motherboard: B85M-G
Processor: i5-4460
Graphics: HD4600
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0412
Revision ID: 0x0006
Memory: 24 GB DDR3
Monitor: BenQ VZ2350 (Using HDMI port, tried other HDMI cables... same issue))
All Kexts are updated to latest release: AppleALC (1.4.8), FakeSMC (1800), Lilu (1.4.3), RealtekRTL8111 (2.2.2), USBInjectall (0.7.5), WhateverGreen(1.3.8)
Clover: 5108 (skipped 5109 due to issues as per forum)

Have also attached my config.plist along with Framebuffer, connector & patch screenshots (from Hackintool) to help me for any change in the settings required to fix the issue. Please help me if any further detail is required.
Any help in this regard is appreciated.View attachment 460929View attachment 460930View attachment 460928
Some suggestions:
  • What is the size of your power supply unit? 550W? 650W? 750W?
  • Are the computer and monitor both plugged into the same wall outlet?
  • If the computer -- when running macOS -- performs a function that consumes a lot of power then it's possible that other equipment on the same wall outlet might see some voltage swings.
  • As you know, the main circuit breaker in a home or building has a small number of 15A, 20A, 30A, 40A, and 50A breakers. General purpose wall outlets in the US are supplied by 15A and 20A breakers. The higher amperage breakers are used for power-hungry large appliances such as electric cooktops, wall ovens, heaters, etc.
    • However, one 15A or 20A breaker connects to multiple wall outlets. If you have other power hungry devices on the same breaker, they could be interfering.
  • Given the symptoms you described, I would recommend:
    • Moving other devices to other circuit breakers or turning them off to see if it helps.
    • Moving the computer and monitor to another room or another floor (which should move it to another breaker) and see if it helps.
    • Using a 1000W or higher UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that has a voltage regulator. Many CyberPower models feature AVS (automatic voltage stabilizer).

Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M D3H
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
@Thaigyver,

Thats the PCIe device descriptor text which Hackintool scrapes from a on-line PCIe Vendor & Device database.
Quite often the IGPU device descriptor text tends to be CPU generation generic and not IGPU specific.
It's purely a cosmetic issue and very common.

You can set that to whatever you want by doing the following :-
  1. Open your config.plist in an editor
  2. Find the "Properties" sub-section of the "Devices" section of the config.plist
  3. Find the IGPU Device Properties which will be under <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
  4. Edit the <string> value for the IGPU Device Property "model"
  5. Set it to something like"Intel UHD 630 Graphics" (make sure that it starts with "Intel")
  6. Save and reboot
Cheers
Jay
@jaymonkey, Thanks for the info and the very quick response. You made this simple and fast.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I can't make it work on Gigabyte z270n Gaming 5 with i7-7700T. Always black screen or no acceleration. I use 00001259 as platform. Anyone has similar CPU and made it work? there is no dGPU in the system, just iGPU HD630
Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS are you running on the Z270N Gaming 5?
  • What SMBIOS are you using? iMac18,1, iMac18,3, etc.?
  • Does the DisplayPort work?
  • If so, please post a screenshot of the Hackintool Patch --> Connectors page showing the DisplayPort in red.
  • We can go from there.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270N Gaming 5
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
macOS 10.15.4, iMac18,1. I didn't test the DisplayPort, I don't have a cable.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M D3H
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Hello @Thaigyver,

Because About this Mac shows Intel i3 (which is what matters), I think Hackintool might have a bug. Please try version 3.3.7. Also open System Information --> Graphics/Displays and see what macOS shows there. You should use iMac19,1 if possible.

Regarding signature, just use this option and you can enter your system name, motherboard, CPU, and GPU information in free-form:

View attachment 463114
@CaseySJ, Thanks for all the info and help.

I updated Hackintool to v3.3.7 and still get the same value. Jaymonkey also responded and said this was cosmetic only, so I will not spend a lot of time to change it in Hackintool.

I am already using iMac 19,1 and in "About This Mac" my "System Report/Graphics/Display" is showing the correct Intel UHD Graphics 630.

And thank you for the tip regarding my signature. It worked after erasing the build signature and only using Signature in free form. Seems you can only use one or the other.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Thank you for this guide.
I'm having a problem with my Hackintosh but I don't know the real issue.

First case when I try to boot my Hackintosh:
After updating from Catalina 10.15.1 to Catalina 10.15.4 the screen turned to black and to get it to work I need to unplug the HDMI jack and plug it again in the motherboard.

The second case when I try to boot from USB:
I get an error:
[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver.
I tried to make exactly like this guide but when I try to boot it looks like that there is an infinite loop for configuring IGPU.

Specs:
Clover bootloader: 5112
Clover configurator: 5.10.0.0
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU: Intel i5-8400
IGPU: Intel UHD 630
Lilu: 1.4.3
WhateverGreen: 1.3.8

Please how to solve this problem?

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 7720 17R SE
CPU
i7-3840QM
Graphics
HD 4000
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android
Hello, I have a Dell Insprion 7720 17R Special Edition, upgraded with an i7 3840qm CPU and Intel HD4000. The laptop has HDMI and VGA.

I had no luck getting HDMI to work. The dsdt.aml I'm using was patched to 0x01660004, mobile, 1 output. The original value is 0x01660009, mobile, three outputs. If I'm changing to this, only the internal display is working (including BIOS and bootlogo), in the middle of the booting process the laptop display is black and the HDMI output is active. I've connected an LG TV, an underscan slider is shown but not working. I can't see the menu bar.

Of course I tried lots with Hackintool and so on, but nothing worked, not even the 2G VRAM patch. This worked by manually patching the kexts but I want to avoid this. HDMI audio is also not working. I'm using VoodooHDA, but AppleALC would be nice because it should be possible to get the subwoofer working. The audio chipset is IDT 92HD91Bxx. I've attached my Clover configuration.

The Dell 7720 is really a nice laptop and probably one of the few which can be upgraded to 10 TB of SSDs - 14 if you remove the DVD drive.

Greets, naquaada.

Attachments