Contribute
Register

[Guide] GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 + i7-4790k + GTX 970 + 32GB DDR3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could....

Going to try and let my MacBook Pro process the photos, and then open the library on my Hackintosh. If that doesn't work - I'll try a reinstall, and barring that, I'll have to revert to El Capitan :l

Just wish I had confirmation from someone else using this mobo that they have it working...

I guess I could....

Going to try and let my MacBook Pro process the photos, and then open the library on my Hackintosh. If that doesn't work - I'll try a reinstall, and barring that, I'll have to revert to El Capitan :l

Just wish I had confirmation from someone else using this mobo that they have it working...

Is it iCloud photo library you're trying to use? Ive just tried it and it seems to work my end.

Is it iCloud photo library you're trying to use? Ive just tried it and it seems to work my end.

Alas, no - I don't use iCloud Photo Library. I let my MacBook process my library and then opened the library on my Mac, that worked but sadly as soon as I tried importing photos, it started crashing.

Very tired of all this mess, might try a reinstall, but more likely going to revert back to El Capitan I think.

Alas, no - I don't use iCloud Photo Library. I let my MacBook process my library and then opened the library on my Mac, that worked but sadly as soon as I tried importing photos, it started crashing.

Very tired of all this mess, might try a reinstall, but more likely going to revert back to El Capitan I think.

I don't use photos app but I've tried it seems to work fine for me. I use image importer. Sierra has a lot of problems if it's that you are using.

how do I get the green rear works (speakers)? (I don't need HDMI audio)
Use one of toleda's scripts. You're in for a lot of reading since his tutorials are always extremely cryptic. But I tried one of his scripts (same build) last year to get rear audio working on El Capitan (that was before an easy HDMI method was posted which is what I've been using after that always).

Sorry, I never think people will reply to my build topics with ancient hardware.
Anyway better late than ever...

I can check a couple things off your list:

1. iMessage/ FaceTime work flawlessly in Sierra following your guide (if your config.plist is setup right)
2. USB3 is just as good as it was in El Capitan with the same kexts.
Could I ask what guides did you use for both respectively? Those are things I could never get working on El Cap' and though I haven't taken the time to do so, there is too much info out there.

But for a fellow Z97MX-Gaming 5 User... I have to ask you:

I just got this board about a week ago and it seems like it's just really finicky. It doesn't have power management no matter what I do, it seems to loop through the splash page weirdly... and mostly... it's just really slow to boot up. It's been that way the whole time. All of my other hacks on SSDs always boot up crazy fast. This one takes like 3 or more min. It was that way in ElCapitan and now in Sierra. Once it's booted it's GREAT. Soooo....

How fast does your machine boot?
Does it loop a bunch in the boot up process?
Does it act really weird when booting?
So far so good. Power management seems to work OK in the sense of sleeping, it wakes up no problem.

Booting has been finicky somehow in the startup boot, maybe something to do with the BIOS. Like it boots but I get no video and it gets stuck on Clover's screen. I reboot when this happens (1 out of 4 times more or less) and then I get video as normal and carry on.

After it boots I never saw it looping. It boots correctly, no issues so far.
Boots in about 8 seconds? I have verbose enabled though, so I assume it could be insane fast without it.

Could it be my bios? I see you're on F4 and I'm on F6 and as you can see... they prohibit me going back to F4 somehow...

Now after a reboot I can't even get the computer to boot up past the splash screen... I think I got a bad board and I'm going to exchange it at amazon... just wondering if you are getting really fast boots. That might answer my question right there.
Could be a bad board yes, seeing as you posted this in 1951 and now I'm barely replying, I assume you got a new board and everything working ok?

Sorry in any case I'm of no help. I don't even sync photos to iCloud. I use Lightroom ATM.
If you want me to do a quick test with iPhotos or however that thing is called, guide me through the steps. However, it could just be your library is simply huge and a test with a handful or photos may always work ok.

This looks really good! I was able to have a successful upgrade to Sierra.

1. iMessage/ FaceTime work flawlessly in Sierra following your guide (if your config.plist is setup right)

But for a fellow Z97MX-Gaming 5 User... I have to ask you:

I just got this board about a week ago and it seems like it's just really finicky. It doesn't have power management no matter what I do, it seems to loop through the splash page weirdly... and mostly... it's just really slow to boot up. It's been that way the whole time. All of my other hacks on SSDs always boot up crazy fast. This one takes like 3 or more min. It was that way in ElCapitan and now in Sierra. Once it's booted it's GREAT. Soooo....

How fast does your machine boot?
Does it loop a bunch in the boot up process?
Does it act really weird when booting?
Could it be my bios? I see you're on F4 and I'm on F6 and as you can see... they prohibit me going back to F4 somehow...

Now after a reboot I can't even get the computer to boot up past the splash screen... I think I got a bad board and I'm going to exchange it at amazon... just wondering if you are getting really fast boots. That might answer my question right there.

I have the same odd boot behavior, drives me nutz. Using F6 bios.
It seems to have a 60 second delay before it will finally post on a warm reboot, only work around is to remove power completely and cold boot it. Happens with anything "from" clover (El Cap and now Sierra) but not Win 7.
Occasionally i will get nothing but a fast red HDD blinking light and then it will never boot unless i cycle it.

Once booted it works great, only thing left is to fix sleep/wake in Sierra, (worked perfectly in El Cap)

I have the same odd boot behavior, drives me nutz. Using F6 bios.
It seems to have a 60 second delay before it will finally post on a warm reboot, only work around is to remove power completely and cold boot it. Happens with anything "from" clover (El Cap and now Sierra) but not Win 7.
Occasionally i will get nothing but a fast red HDD blinking light and then it will never boot unless i cycle it.

Once booted it works great, only thing left is to fix sleep/wake in Sierra, (worked perfectly in El Cap)
That's weird. Like I mentioned, I only get issues with booting per se now (like, not reaching Clover) on a cold start, then I reboot and it works, but besides that it works flawlessly. I'd say you both have issues because of F6, I stayed on F4 since I don't have a newer CPU and never saw a compelling reason to upgrade.

This looks really good! I was able to have a successful upgrade to Sierra.

Could I ask what guides did you use for both respectively? Those are things I could never get working on El Cap' and though I haven't taken the time to do so, there is too much info out there.
Bump?

iMessage/ FaceTime always just worked, I tried to make sure i generated a pretty unique serial # config.plist by hitting the shake button a lot using clover configurator, otherwise i guess i just got lucky. :confused:

USB 3.0 in Sierra also just worked right off the bat, i did select the "increase port limit" in multibeast for grins.
USB 3.0 in El Capitan i cannot recall exactly how I got it up to the faster speeds.
For what its worth My 14.2 Sierra install was fresh on a new drive, then I pulled a time machine backup from El Capitan (3.1 definition). Not sure if anything of value would have came across to keep iMessage/ FaceTime in tact from a time machine backup.

Only extra step needed for me was sound that is not in the generic Sierra guide.
audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0 script (method II-1-1)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/#post886744
Using ID#2 was the only way I could get sound from the rear green speaker output.

I just got the new board and it still boots slow... Just started resetting it up again last night. I don't use the screensaver, so I can't speak to that, but I still don't have power management working, and when I put the system under a load it just restarts-- I think that's probably the root cause. Either way, over the next week or so I will be giving this board more of a work out and try to get through the bugs. N3ON seems to not reply to anything anymore and the biggest difference I can see is that he's running off of the F5 bios, so I am probably going to Q-flash the board soon to go back. In the notes on this page it says: "This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS"

At first I interpreted it as if I couldn't go back to that BIOS, but after thinking about it... I think it just means I can't go back to F4... Which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do anyway. This board definitely seems to have some weird quirks about it, but I got USB3 working on the new board again, and my x79 board would never do that so I'm actually pretty happy about that.

Hopefully I can get this thing working well and then sell my nice x79 system. I modded out a G5 case and I'm working on cutting out the 2 apple logos and making them glow like the laptops do... it should be a really neat system when I'm all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back