Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3-i5 2500k-6850-10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIOS version 1.0!

No, that's the motherboard's hardware revision (1.0 or 1.3 available).
According to the DSDT provided, it would be F9 Bios. Why do you offer yours, anyway? Has it been tweaked? Otherwise, it's a bad idea, especially for those who run a different one.

Just bought one of those, second-hand. I hope I'll be able to keep some hair on my head, as I pulled quite a few when I upgraded to ML on my current board.

Have you had a chance to do the 10.8.2 update? What was your process? - Any problems?

Okay, so I have found multiple guides out there for the z68mx.ud2h.b3 with a sandy bridge 2500k. I have been using this system since 10.5, although I quickly upgraded to 10.6, then 10.7.3, but never went to 10.7.4 because I didnt really want the headache for dealing with the SB, but my hard drive crashed, so when I replaced the 250gb ssd with another 256ssd (same brand, same exact drive OCZ Agility). Anyways, I was having issues with my video staying black, and I stumbled across the -PCIRootUID=0 flag, but it didn't do anything for me, I continued to have the same issue, my system wouldn't lock up, but I had to disconnect my Dual Link DVI cable (running a 30" monitor, its a little older, and thus only has a DVI-D (dual link) with HDCP) and simply re-plug it back in, no PCIRootUID=0 needs to be set, simply boot system, it shows apple from theme, and continues to boot, and then goes black, and I can continue to see activity on drives as boot finishes, and bluetooth keyboard stays connected (caps lock locks/unlocks). I have to reach down and unplug it from port and reconnect it and display comes right up).

I currently am running the uefi bios and have told it to disable the onboard video (I used it for installation however). Obviously, the Radeon HD 5770 should work out of the box, I bought it for that reason when running lion, it was the most simple I could find for a good price. my other systems still run gt8800's as I dont play games, and well, the gt8800 still performs for all I need the system to run.

I verified that QI/CL is working (chess plays fine, this is how I used to test in the leopard days, not sure if its still valid). I will start trying to mess with boot flags and multibeast, but I dont even see ANYTHING for radeon cards in the 5.1.3 multibeast...

10.8.2 app store download 10/30/2012
Multibeast 5.1.3
16gb ram
i2500K
Radeon HD 5770
250 GB SSD
2 x 1TB symlinked /user/me volume, desktop/downloads/music/documents symlinked from ssd to 2nd and 3rd drives.
osx software raid 4tb time machine volume

Anyways, what else can I say, oh, I have the uefi DDST, but following this post, I haven't chosen to use it, my issue isn't with anything on the motherboard, so DDST wouldn't make a difference at all. So far, everything works as it should, except needing to disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable at the video card.

Like I said, I'll continue to play, but if anyone has any recommendations or ideas, I am all ears, now I will continue my search for more variables to try and mess around with, thanks in advance.

-John

Hey Guys!

I did just have a huge success with 10.8.2...

Updated BIOS to F13, Made a Unibeast with 10.8.
Installed without GPU and with just 4gb installed.
Installed OSX 10.8 as the guide says.

THEN, I did launched the latest Multibeast, but didn't do anything with it, just have it open like when installing 10.6.8...
Go through the whole installation process with 10.8.2 update, DO NOT RESTART! Then just go though Multibeast completely, just check the options available in comparison to this guide.. Then restart the computer with the second ethernet utility that will start by Multibeast =)

Everything works smooth and nice!! =D
Before, I had like, no sound, eternal startup circle etc etc.

Is there an easy way to check that everything is operational and stable?

/Lenny

As some people seem to experience issues here with Mountain Lion, let me help thanks to my own experience. I bought this board on eBay last month, at a bargain price of 49€. the Bios was F13, the last non-UEFI, and I decided to give it a try first, before considering UEFI.

I first tried to install from the 10.8.2 build I'd just bought from the Mac App Store, but the installation failed several times, so I used a 10.8 build with Unibeast.
At last, it worked flawlessly, using internal HD3000 (my GTX6x00 wouldn't work out of the box, the screen went black).
After bootup, ethernet was working "OOB" and I run all available updates WITHOUT RESTARTING.

Then I opened Multibeast. FakeSMC plugins were bugged at the time (Multibeast 5.1.0), but the problem has been addressed since, so if you're an iStat Menu user like me, you won't crash like I did.

Settings:

• UserDSDT with corresponding DSDT on the desktop.
• Drivers>Audio>RealtekALCXXX>WithDSDT>ALC889
• Disk>3rd Party SATA (no IOAHCIblockstorageinjector, and it comes with a nice surprise: hotswap with a right click and no orange drive!)
• Misc>Fake SMC (+motherboardplugins, if you want sensors and all kind of monitoring, + application, if you don't want to pay for iStat Menu, a great app)
• Misc>USB3 3rd Party (installed but not tested)
• Network> Lnx2Mac (Ethernet won't work anymore on its own, once Multibeast has run)
• SSDT Options>Sandy Bridge Core i5 overclocked for my 2500K @ 4,19GHz (OSX 10.8 will crash over 4,2GHz, I checked)

System Definitions: I didn't choose anything, but it set itself to Mac Pro 3.1.
If you want to overclock and still save power, Mac Pro 3.1 is your best shot, since it'll set to using many different speeds to match you CPU activity.

About Trim:
If I'm not mistaken, Multibeast's trim patch didn't work for me, I used the Trim Enabler app from Oskar Groth instead.

About graphics:
• HD3000: don't touch anything
• GTX670/680:
A. Graphics>GTX 6x0
B. Customization>Boot Options>GraphicsEnabler=NO (prevent the black screen issue)

About other Intel graphic or 3rd party boards: I don't know, ask someone else! I'm not a true poweruser, I'm just using power to boot hackintoshes since 2008.

With these settings, everything is working just fine: perfect sound (Hifi user inside!), network (a bit slow on startup), shutdown, restart and sleep (from the case power-on button as well), my optical drive wakes properly (it didn't with Lion) and SSDT rules—proof from voltages drawn by the CPU, from 0,89V up to 1,25 with no OC, 0,96V/1,35V @ 4,19GHz on my 2500K.
I can hotswap any disk, then eject it (there's no ejection button, but just choose eject from a right-click on the sidebar).

I scored about 9800 at stock on Geekbench with 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 at stock, (vs. 9600 with my previous H67MA-UD2H and the same DDR3 downclocked at 1333MHz), now 11850 @ 4,19GHz.

If you're reading this being a newbie, don't try to be smarter than the guide, click what is required and nothing else. If you like to experience, then expect to try it a few time like I did.
Be aware that it may not work properly with another Bios version, and it won't if you don't set first 64bit-mode and AHCI.

I made two screen captures of my Multibeast settings, but ImageShack isn't user-friendly anymore (the UI seems to have changed for the worst), so if someone want them, please indicate another easy-to-use free service or PM me your email address, as I'm not a regular. Once everything's working, I usually go back to my real life of a French cheese-eater. For instance, since it's working fine, I won't bother with UEFI in order to gain a few seconds at startup. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back