Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can enable "UseKernelCache" ?

Hello, and congratulations !

One question: are you able to set "UseKernelCache=Yes" and still boot successfully?

Just a word of warning.. Once you go UEFI you can't go back to F10/F09/etc.... Or at least I haven't found a way. So, if your system is working okay you might want to hold off on the update as some people are reporting problems.

I was able to get everything working except HD3000 on 10.6.8. Which I hoped to stay on... However, after spending a few days with no luck I bit the bullet and bought 10.8. It's downloading now so hopefully I'll have it resolved by tomorrow.

Don't worry, it can flash back to conventional gigabyte award bios

method
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168667

keypox: my system is 100% stable with the UEFI. I've not tried Windows. A DSDT is by no means compulsory nor does it improve performance, in really simple terms it translates certain system identifiers to be recognisable/expected by OSX, if the UEFI BIOS means that less translation is required then that can only be a good thing, after all, a genuine Mac doesn't need a DSDT.

quandd: thanks for the tip! I must admit, I hadn't even looked in the bios settings for that option, just assumed it was a UEFI/ML teething problem. Thanks again, I will update the top post accordingly.

bryansxviper: glad you got it all working! mine is working very well indeed, not a single issue so far...

joncas: "UseKernelCache=yes" works fine, I've had it enabled since the start.

Also, further to quandd's tip about enabling hot-swap: Enabling Hot-Swap for your internal disks will make them appear with the external disk icon in OSX. It's not a problem, but if you want your system disk to appear with the correct icon you can just disable Hot-Swap for that disk, it's not as if you're not going to be hot-swapping the system disk anyway...!

I installed UEFI then the system would not boot. Kernel Panic. Keep in mind that this is for an upgrade from Lion. I then installed ML on a second disk I had and it worked fine (even Airplay to Apple TV). In the end, I found a way to boot the older HD: I use DSDT=/dev/null as a boot argument and used Multibeast to force the options as per your suggestion. The only thing NOT working on the old drive are Airplay and USB3.
So, if someone is having problems with an upgrade, try a new install, or use DSDT=/dev/null.

Question: I can I remove the old DSDT effects and reset Multibeast settings once and for all? (I have to type DSDT=/dev/null at every boot...)

OK. I have my optical drive working, for some reason it only works when attached to one of the white SATA ports, connected to a blue port and it doesn't work. The eject button is also working fine.

the optical drive (Pioneer DVR-217L) working normally with the white/blue color SATA ports, I can launch the DVD Player without error

F12 eject/close functions normally

I installed UEFI then the system would not boot. Kernel Panic. Keep in mind that this is for an upgrade from Lion. I then installed ML on a second disk I had and it worked fine (even Airplay to Apple TV). In the end, I found a way to boot the older HD: I use DSDT=/dev/null as a boot argument and used Multibeast to force the options as per your suggestion. The only thing NOT working on the old drive are Airplay and USB3.
So, if someone is having problems with an upgrade, try a new install, or use DSDT=/dev/null.

Question: I can I remove the old DSDT effects and reset Multibeast settings once and for all? (I have to type DSDT=/dev/null at every boot...)

(1) new install, using unibeast 1.5.2 create the drive (legacy USB option enabled), boot the unibeast USB drive in verbose mode only (-v), the display resolution is 1024x768

(2) multibeast 4.6.1 (no DSDT.aml) with the settings as specified on the 1st page

(3) it works perfectly

(I don't type DSDT=/dev/null)

@itwas: Thst's what I did for my second (fresh) install. My question is "how to remove DSDT traces on the previous install, which was an upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion followed by a Bios upgrade to UEFI?"

Hi rawbear.

I upgraded to the UEFI when I was running the DP4 build (12A256), I followed the instructions in TonyMacs post which suggested dropping the DSDT by pointing it /dev/null and with that I could boot. To remove that requirement for future boot I renamed the /extra/DSDT.aml file to something else, i.e.: DSDT.aml.old to prevent it from being loaded. That worked fine.

However for my clean install of the RTM build I also needed to specify an SSDT file, even though I had not needed one before, including when I was using DP4...

Audio Pops?

I'm getting a noticeable audio pop sound... It seems if I don't have any audio for five minutes or so the next sound that plays has a pop/crackle sound right at the beginning. It's not the worst thing in the world but it'd be nice if I could fix it.

Any suggestions?

Using 10.8 w/ all the same Multibeast settings except TRIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back