Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using verbose mode while attempting to start up produces about two pages, or two screens, worth of character strings. I can't tell what the first half was trying to covey because it passes too quickly and I can't get back to it. I am attaching picture of the last half of the output and hoping that it will provide someone more knowledgeable clue as to what's happening when I try to boot the high Sierra installation without the installer.

Attachments

• verbose_.JPG
    verbose_.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 214
Now I really seem to have lost everything Clover/Mac related. All drives USB, HDD, SSD are not recognized, except a HDD that I connect from time to time to run windows 7. Perhaps I erred by having this Windows drive plugged in at the same time as my mac disks before the installation of the Mac OS was resolved.

I was directed to this thread by a moderator from the High Sierra support forum. So I will continue even it seems like I'm just speaking to myself. Perhaps perhaps if just to preserve a record for posterity.

I have several backups of my last working macOS installation. So I unplugged everything else and connected the hard disk drive of one of the back ups. It was created to work with the old bios not UEFI, but I had nothing else to try so gave it a whirl if it worked and it worked. It's very unstable but it ran long enough for me to remake the High Sierra install USB. It was quite intense. So, I fired up the old custom mac. It did not recognize the new USB. So now I know the machine will not boot, not even recognize anything I am producing for UEFI.

Last edited:
So moving along here, Next I tried a bootable USB of MS-DOS. It worked. Next I tried a full Ubuntu installation on a USB. I am writing this now in Firefox under Ubuntu on my accursed PC/Customac. It seems like the only answer is that the UEFI BIOS are corrupted. I've tried loading optimized defaults and then making changes as directed by the Tonymacx86 install guide. Pretty soon I am going to have to make this a dual boot machine for Windows and Linux and try to make another custom mac with new hardware. That, or maybe someone could explain how I can test or repair the BIOS on this Z68 mobo.

Last edited:
OK, the install USB device is working again. So grasping the opportunity, I raced to reformat my target drive and do a clean install again this time not allowing the installer to format APFS. The result was pretty much the same. It installs High Sierra, High Sierra works if the installer is plugged in to a USB slot, but by itself it just has a kernel panic while trying to boot.

My back up copy of my El Capitan installation, on an old hard disk drive, seems to be the best thing going right now. It is booting without problems and running stable enough. Looking around, haven't found anybody yet who is running High Sierra on this motherboard so it's not surprising that I can't make it work. Others have gotten Sierra to work so I am going to abandon, for now, my efforts here and wait for someone smarter than me blaze the trail.

Here! I am successfully running High Sierra on the same board, albeit rev 1.0 I think, with a i5-2500K and the integrated HD3000. I have just recently changed the SMBIOS from Macmini5,1 to iMac12,2, now the graphics woes I have been experiencing with High Sierra seem to have gone completely.

Here! I am successfully running High Sierra on the same board, albeit rev 1.0 I think, with a i5-2500K and the integrated HD3000. I have just recently changed the SMBIOS from Macmini5,1 to iMac12,2, now the graphics woes I have been experiencing with High Sierra seem to have gone completely.

Hello. I am running Mavericks on legacy BIOS version F10, with everything working and stable. Is it worth updating to UEFI BIOS version U1C? I would like to try to install High Sierra, maybe you could give me some tips. Thank you.

Hello. I am running Mavericks on legacy BIOS version F10, with everything working and stable. Is it worth updating to UEFI BIOS version U1C? I would like to try to install High Sierra, maybe you could give me some tips. Thank you.
No idea what you have. Please create a proper profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back