Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am going to try and make this as clear as possible. There are a lot of really helpful people on this forum and site. I would like to show my gratitude by contributing this guide. I previously followed other guides that worked great for 10.6. I believe "notshy" and "jpa" deserve credit for those as well as the obvious Tonymac and others. This is for an older board, but it works great and runs lion like a champ!
Components used in this guide(listing the ones that are affected by the procedure, ram hard drive types can deviate quite a bit):
Motherboard:
GA-X58A-UDR3 rev. 2.0 BIOS ver FG

Video card:
ASUS ATI 5870 1GB

software and other components:
Retail copy of Lion( if you have 10.7.2 retail, great! If not download the combo update before we begin.)
CD with multibeast 4.1, combo update , DSDT file
8GB USB thumb drive with unibeast

1. Bios settings(make sure your DSDT file matches your bios version. Mine is flashed to FG which I believe is the latest for this board.)
The only thing I have changed from optimal default is:

*SATA Control Mode = AHCI for ALL SATA ports
*HPET Mode = 64-bit mode
(There is other tweaking you could do. However, this is a all i have changed and it works and I am keeping it simple.)

2. Prepare for Install of Lion(So this is probably the hardest part and it's not that hard!)
There are a few ways to do this part. The important things for the way I am showing here:
-Make sure you are running a minimal configuration. 1 stick ram( 2 GB at least), 1 hard drive and no extra usb or monitors.
-You will need your Unibeast thumb drive made from the guide on this site. It is assumed that you have access to a machine running a recent apple OS.

3. Install Your bios is set so turn on the computer and insert the unibeast, tap F12 on boot for the boot menu, select your usb thumb drive the select lion installer or whatever you named the partition you created. At this point you should be able to boot into the installer , if it panics or hangs then retrace your steps and re read this guide and anything else. And take a deep breath and relax. Your computer isn't broken you just missed a step or a setting! No big deal. So let that role through the install, it is pretty fast if you are using a Solid state drive. When it is finished- reboot and tap F12 again, select the usb unibeast drive but this time when it loads the selector screen, select the new install! You should be able to boot up and set up a new user account.

I know this guide repeats a lot of what is said throughout this forum but it is system specific and I want to save some people time with very similar builds.

Final important step:

4. Make the machine boot all on it's sexy own!

At this point you should have a machine that is running 10.7.2 if you are running an earlier version, now is the time to install the combo update BUT do not reboot! if you do you will need to boot of the rboot disk or unibeast stick, not impossible to fix but annoying when we are so close!

So now we are either booted into 10.7.2 or we have run the combo update and see the installer asking us to restart. Ignore that installer. if you have multibeast on a cd put it in the drive or I'm pretty shire ethernet will work out of the box on this install for this board so go download it.
-Start multibeast 4.1
-make sure your DSDT file is on the desktop
These are the settings for this board I am using:(check the following in multibeast)

-User DSDT
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Audio>Realtek..>ALC8xx
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Audio>Realtek..>AppleHDA Rollback
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Audio>Realtek..>Non-DSDT..>ALC899
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Disk..>3rdparty SATA
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Miscellaneous..>NullCPUPowerManagement
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Miscellaneous..>USB 3.0
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Network..>Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet (starts another installer)
-Drivers..> Bootloaders..> Chimera v1.6 r1394

Use default install location for your new system drive, click enter and thats it!
You should be able to reboot and have a working machine.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

NOW! :banghead:

I originally tried this with my 580 GTX and it was not liking lion 10.7.2 for some reason. I used a lot of different resources to make that work sue I probably added an extra step that messed everything up. I will link guide for that when I get it working! I also had some issues with protools and my DIGI 003 r I am gonna do a writeup on that issue in the audio section. Basically I was getting kernel panics after installing protools and the core audio drivers. I finally got it to work but then, whenever the driver is initialized as in iTunes plays a song or i launch protools, i was getting a high pitched noise!!!! :lolno: At first I thought it was the speakers, then a ground loop, but i figured out it was coming from the 003 itself!!!!! Something to do with power from the onboard firewire??? Not sure, I reinstalled protools, still there. So i ran multi beast and added:
-Drivers..> Kexts..>Miscellaneous..>NullCPUPowerManagement
AND THAT WORKED!!!! I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG BUT THIS WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND ITS GONE NOW!!!! You can imagine trying to record with that.
Anyways Enjoy! Hope this was helpful Credit is for the people who run this site! Thank them, they deserve it. Thank you Guys! :wave:

UPDATED WITH GTX 580!!!!

1. Follow the above guide
2. Use this installer for the GTX580(I did this before i installed my GTX 580)This installer has specific details that need to be followed that are explained when it launches.

3. Turn off machine and install GTX 580 hardware. Reboot. thats it!

My machine has dual displays at 1080 and I am running my audio out of a digi 003( the on board works as well) I also am dual booting with windows 7. :D

I am getting a boot0:error. Ideas of what might be wrong?

I seem to have gotten past the boot problem by partitioning my drive. Now it hangs on the grey apple screen though. Other people's solutions have not been working for me.

areafire said:
I seem to have gotten past the boot problem by partitioning my drive. Now it hangs on the grey apple screen though. Other people's solutions have not been working for me.

Having the same problem with hanging on grey apple screen. Lion installs fine and I can boot into a fresh install from the USB drive, but it always hangs on grey screen after running multibeast. Have tried flashing bios to different versions, FG FE FF and using corresponding DSDT files but still hangs after multibeast install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back