Contribute
Register

[Guide] GA-X58A-UD3R (2.0) BIOS FH - i7 930 - Apple OEM HD5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PS/2 to USB converter, which I tried, but the keyboard was not recognized. I'll have to buy another keyboard to test this. How can we test if this is likely a contributing factor before I do that?

I realized that the BIOS had more than one IDE controller. I had only set the first one to AHCI mode. When I set all 4 of them to AHCI the boot process got much further. Before I could take a photo of the text on the screen, it went black. Is there a way to drop into console mode, like how Linux does with Ctril-Alt-FnX?

After trying many things, I discovered that these switches got me to the point where I could create a user:

Code:
GraphicsEnabler=yes PCIRootUID=1

However the PS/2 keyboard did not work. Looks like I need to buy a new keyboard.

Just read your post. In bios always disable all the stuff you don't use like Gsata, etc. but before disable make sure to set them AHCI if applicable then disable. Sometimes a bios can behave in unexpected was so that just prevents something odd to occur (it makes me feel better the very least). Also I disable FireWire since I don't have peripherals that use it.

-matt

The PS/2 to USB adapter I have is colored green, like PS/2 mouse connectors. Maybe I needed a purple PS/2 to USB adapter, colored the same as PS/2 keyboard connectors. I think I will look around for a small bluetooth keyboard.

Maybe the instructions should mention that mobos like the GigaBye GA-X58A-UD3R, which have more than one hard drive controller, need them all switched to AHCI.

Here is my attempt at modifying Extra/org.chameleion.Boot.plist:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Boot Banner</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I used Dantastic's DSDT. It built fine. I did not see many options chosen, and I wonder if that is because he did not specify many or I am doing something wrong (again). After loading a DSDT, should I see the options selected the same as when the DSDT was created?

After installing, I find that I still need the USB stick to boot, or I get a boot0 error. What I am supposed to do after running MultiBeast? The docs and GuideBeast just stop at that point.

When rebooting from the usb stick I find I hae to specify boot flags again. Also, the network is gone with the new build. Presumably this build is wrong; the image on boot drive is better. What is going on? Seems like a gap in documentation or a gap in the docs that I read.

Also, I see there is an update for Mac OS. Should I install it now? Should I do that later? Should I never install updates?

I used Dantastic's DSDT. It built fine. I did not see many options chosen, and I wonder if that is because he did not specify many or I am doing something wrong (again). After loading a DSDT, should I see the options selected the same as when the DSDT was created?

After installing, I find that I still need the USB stick to boot, or I get a boot0 error. What I am supposed to do after running MultiBeast? The docs and GuideBeast just stop at that point.

When rebooting from the usb stick I find I hae to specify boot flags again. Also, the network is gone with the new build. Presumably this build is wrong; the image on boot drive is better. What is going on? Seems like a gap in documentation or a gap in the docs that I read.

Also, I see there is an update for Mac OS. Should I install it now? Should I do that later? Should I never install updates?

The boot0 error is covered in step 10 of my guide
I just use tonymacs/macman's DSDT because it is modded minimally, but is verified. Only their asus and gigabyte DSDTs are verified and built by them, so no additional patching of the DSDT required - see step 2b. With that said if your DSDT is fine no need to change especially the results Dantastic has going on his build. Another note regarding Dantastics configs is that he defines the mac as 3,1 where as I define it as 5,1 (5,1 is for lga1366 processor types which is what is used on the GA-X58A-UD3R) also he has TRIM Enabler which is only for SSD drives - if you don't have a SSD drive then you should remove the TRIM.

The reason why you have to use boot flags is because you're using the boot loader from the USB. Once you fix the boot0 issue your won't need to use the USB stick. As long as you selected the right options and confirmed them with chameleon wizard you should boot fine. Look at 8-10 steps of my guide.

Your org.chameleon.Boot.plist should have at least these lines in it: (in my first post I have additional to customized it for my graphics card, to hide/rename partitions and to set the screen resolution in the Chimera (which is a modified chameleon installed by multi beast) bootloader to match my monitor.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

-----------------

Matt,

Where is your guide?

Where is TonyMac's DSDT? Dantastic's does not seem to do it for me. For example, the screen blanks after a bit and won't come back when I move the mouse or push a key ... although I can continue to access the machine via ssh.

Thanks,

Mike

Matt,

Where is your guide?

Where is TonyMac's DSDT? Dantastic's does not seem to do it for me. For example, the screen blanks after a bit and won't come back when I move the mouse or push a key ... although I can continue to access the machine via ssh.

Thanks,

Mike

The 1st post of this thread has my step by step instructions with links for everything.

-Matt

The instructions worked. The system boots from the hard drive now. Let's see what happens with the video now...

When the Energy Saver timeout kicks in, neither the mouse nor the keyboard will wake the computer. However, inserting a USB device does. What do I need to do in order to make the computer wake on keyboard or mouse activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back